• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW (Trainee Train Driver Cardiff and Chester_

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmt

just applied for Cardiff. Said I would hear within 4-6 weeks after submitting. questionnaire. . not had a confirmation email as of yet. After last times fiasco with Acorn wanted to make sure everyone didn't have confirmation email?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leavesontrack

me too. lets see if I get further this time.

Have applied 4 times now..
1 was in August 2018 (got to phone interview didnt make it past that)
2 Was feb 2019 ( TFW lost my application-but I tell myself this was because it was within the 6 month rule)
3 Was March this year and my application was lost
4 ..... we will see (just had a automated confirmation email - same as last time)

hastamanianna

Hi guys, so happy I found this thread! I'm about to relocate from Chester to Cardiff this autumn and I wanted to send my CV to the latter. Do you think I should include the relocation in the application or just describe my location as Cardiff? Since it's taking them so long to process the applications that I'm 99% sure I'll be already there when the training starts

PavanAcorn

just applied for Cardiff. Said I would hear within 4-6 weeks after submitting. questionnaire. . not had a confirmation email as of yet. After last times fiasco with Acorn wanted to make sure everyone didn't have confirmation email?

Hello, due to the volume of interest - confirmation emails with current status following the questionnaire are sent out every 2 weeks, the first of which are today/tomorrow to update on status for those that completed up to 22nd July.

PavanAcorn

me too. lets see if I get further this time.

Have applied 4 times now..
1 was in August 2018 (got to phone interview didnt make it past that)
2 Was feb 2019 ( TFW lost my application-but I tell myself this was because it was within the 6 month rule)
3 Was March this year and my application was lost
4 ..... we will see (just had a automated confirmation email - same as last time)

Feel free to private message me with your email address or email: [email protected] with your details for an update to confirm current status but all updates are sent every 2 weeks for this campaign for those that have completed the questionnaire

PavanAcorn

Hi guys, so happy I found this thread! I'm about to relocate from Chester to Cardiff this autumn and I wanted to send my CV to the latter. Do you think I should include the relocation in the application or just describe my location as Cardiff? Since it's taking them so long to process the applications that I'm 99% sure I'll be already there when the training starts

You will need to provide evidence during the asssessment stage that you live within 1 hour of the location you have applied for, if this will be the case please select Cardiff as your station to apply for during the questionnaire phase.

RachelT

Hi Pavan, I sent my CV to Acorn, then received a link to complete the full application form. I completed that part today. What is the questionnaire that everyone is mentioning as I haven't received it. There were a few multiple choice questions near the end of the application form but I'm assuming that's not the questionnaire people are talking about.

PavanAcorn

Hi Pavan, I sent my CV to Acorn, then received a link to complete the full application form. I completed that part today. What is the questionnaire that everyone is mentioning as I haven't received it. There were a few multiple choice questions near the end of the application form but I'm assuming that's not the questionnaire people are talking about.

The Application form (also refered to as Questionnaire due to previous campaign wording) is located here: https://www.acornpeople.com/train-driver-application/

Which is what you have completed and all we require for review at this stage.

RachelT

I haven't. I've only just applied! But if it were me, I would give myself the best chance and eliminate the possibility of being underprepared by swotting up on it just in case. Can't harm can it?

MA8141

Does anyone else have a video interview coming up/already had one? If so, do you know if it is solely a competancy based interview? Or should I also prepare for questions about the franchise e.g. History, Plans for future, Facts about routes etc. Thank You.
If you had any sniff of an interviewer and you didn’t research the company/franchise and what they are all about etc you may as well not turn up. In my opinion knowing the company is essential to any success at any stage, including application. Learn from experience and all that !

craigybagel

Established Member
So I applied on Thursday but haven't received this link can I just use it from here to complete the application?
I would wait until you're instructed to do so. Following exact instructions and only doing exactly what you're told to do and only when you're told to do it are very important for driving. Trying to jump ahead will not look good.

TeaTrain

I would be surprised if they didn't ask you what you know about he company. It is a basic question and you should know who you are going to work for.

In all the TOC interviews I have done (which is a lot lol) they have always asked the question.

It might be different now though...

YingYing

I would be surprised if they didn't ask you what you know about he company. It is a basic question and you should know who you are going to work for.

In all the TOC interviews I have done (which is a lot lol) they have always asked the question.

It might be different now though...
I've been asked it many times in interviews, and it's a good question! However, I don't think it translates well onto an online application. There'd be nothing stopping you immediately looking up the company and copying and pasting values, ethics etc. At least in a real interview it shows you've digested the information and can remember it!

TeaTrain

Oh defenitly! I meant at interview stage. It's pointless at the questionnaire stage as they are looking for competencies.

Sidney Robin

Hello,
I got through initial sift, telephone interview, manager interview and past the paper based tests (written communication, group bourdon, TEA, Glop reading comprehension, reading dials) Email last week.... unsuccessful in computer tests, no other feedback. Silly question, but does anyone know if I have to start/go through whole process again?

ILoveLamp

Hello,
I got through initial sift, telephone interview, manager interview and past the paper based tests (written communication, group bourdon, TEA, Glop reading comprehension, reading dials) Email last week.... unsuccessful in computer tests, no other feedback. Silly question, but does anyone know if I have to start/go through whole process again?
I think it is a six month wait to reapply isn’t it? Where were you going for, Cardiff?

dan_156

Hello,

Unfortunately thats one life gone, and I think if you didn’t pass the computer element you have to resit them all again next time.

Sidney Robin

For Cardiff. I believe it is a six month wait. Gutted to have to submit another application and go through sift and the interviews again and start from scratch again :(((

ArchangelA

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know how long a new entrant trainee train driver with TFW would be on the training salary for in terms of months or years (£28,488)? After how long exactly, does it rise?

TeaTrain

Hello,
Hello unfortunately as pointed out you will have used 1 of your 2 lives to be a train driver.

However you will not be asked to do the assessments stage 1 again as you have already passed them. For example the group bourdon, listening and remembering tests. Glop etc. These are part of the OPC stage 1 assessments. The previous information given is incorrect. You don't need to complete these again if you reapply to any TOC in the next 2 years. Some TOCs it's 3 years or 5. The you will be asked at the beginning of an assessment day if you have previously done and tests. For this exact reason you don't need to resit them if it's within the timeframe.

As for the computerised tests if you passed one you have passed it. You will only be asked to sit the ones you failed and pick up the process from there. It is explained each time you go by the OPC examiner.

craigybagel

Established Member
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know how long a new entrant trainee train driver with TFW would be on the training salary for in terms of months or years (£28,488)? After how long exactly, does it rise?

You'll be on that until you pass out as a qualified driver, at the end of your training. The length of time it takes varies depending on what depot you're based at, as it relies on you completing 265 hours of driving a train under the supervision of a DI, so it requires a DI to be available, and through various quirks of geography some depots spend more hours driving on average then others. It also relies on the the availability of a manager to spend a week passing you out. Other factors can come into play too, like whether you take any annual leave during the handling phase. I managed to pass out 9 months after I started training, and that was pretty normal for my depot, but at others it can take longer then a year. By industry standards though, regardless of your depot TfW are very good at getting trainees out as qualified productive drivers fairly quickly.

Once you do pass out, you go up to 90% of the full drivers pay, taking you up to just below £47,000. You'll be on this for 2 years from the day you pass out, and then you go up to the full 100%, which currently is just under £53,000.

Sidney Robin

Thank you for the replies,
Could anyone clarify what happens next or how I go about retaking these tests? Do I need to hope that TFW are advertise for trainee drivers six months after my fail and hope I get through the whole process again? Or (wishful thinking?!) could I just get resubmitted for a retest if they are still recruiting when my six months is up? Any advice or comments from people who have been in this situation appreciated.

TeaTrain

I'm afraid you will have to wait 6 months now and then reapply. You will still have to submit your application etc all again even if it's for TFW. There is no way to simply book a retest unfortunately.

You basically start a new application for any TOC but when you get to the assessment stage again the OPC will know which tests you have completed and which you need to try again for.

Status
Not open for further replies.