• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW (Trainee Train Driver Cardiff and Chester_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MA8141

A friend of mine had her rejection email so they are absolutely out there in the open now !

Ghost_rider

Cheers!

It's a relief to have completed the process because I don't think my heart could take much more! :lol:

I'm just hoping now it's not a two year wait to get in like some people have experienced with other TOC's but, with everything that's going on at the moment you can almost guarantee it will be next year in my opinion.

I'm just absolutely made up as TFW in Chester was, if I had a choice, my preferred place to work from the TOC's I'm eligible to apply for.

Saxon79

Congratulations. I already work for TfW and I can assure you it is a great company to work for.

Leospinks

I think it is a six month wait to reapply isn’t it? Where were you going for, Cardiff?

Sorry to hear you failed the computer assessment. I ha e mine wednesday. Did they tell you which test you failed on? What did you find difficult about them?

No medical. I think that only takes place when they intend on offering you a job.
Well done buddy.. what did u think of the mmi after the computer tests. Im bricking it tbh

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
No medical. I think that only takes place when they intend on offering you a job.
Correct - you're only given a medical when you have a confirmed job and they know your start date.

Congratulations though! Hopeful the wait won't be too long.

Anon87

A career in the Police/emergency services or military is a criteria the TfWs HR department seem to favour in recent recruitment drives, of late some courses have mainly been ex police & guards moving into driving.
Interesting. Has anyone else found this to be the case as well?

craigybagel

Established Member
Interesting. Has anyone else found this to be the case as well?
I think it's safe to say that the top two most common previous jobs amongst trainee drivers in the last year has indeed been internal staff (the majority of whom have been guards) or Police - but they don't make up all the trainees, there are plenty coming in from all kinds of different backgrounds. Your definitely don't need to be ex police or internal to get these jobs.

Mr Wayne

My TfW assessment day back in February this year included a high school teacher, a fireman, a police officer & I'm a HGV driver.

I think if your coming from a job/career in which there are safety critical parts to your role, experience of shift work, following rules & procedures etc etc It does put you at an advantage if you have those experiences/skills to draw upon. However you could work at McDonald’s for example & have to follow certain rules & procedures around food hygiene, I’m sure the deep fat fryers too would have safety critical parts to operation too and being customer facing would give you customer service experience. Myself & the Police officer made the talent pool (I don’t know how the other two got on)

Congratulations to all those who have made the talent pools & good luck for those who are waiting on news.

dan_156

With a reported 10000 applications the chances are your applications/answers were not even sifted by a human, they can simply put job filters to filter the jobs/backgrounds that they want people coming from, therefore if your background/job does not match the ones they have put to filter out then bye bye.... its not just about writing a lot of key words and why you really want to be a train driver, if your a warehouse worker vs a police man the former won't even make the filter.

Plodster

With a reported 10000 applications the chances are your applications/answers were not even sifted by a human, they can simply put job filters to filter the jobs/backgrounds that they want people coming from, therefore if your background/job does not match the ones they have put to filter out then bye bye.... its not just about writing a lot of key words and why you really want to be a train driver, if your a warehouse worker vs a police man the former won't even make the filter.
So how far have you got dan?

RachelT

I understand what you're saying but if they are that predisposed to employing from certain sectors, why not stipulate that in the job description?

"Emergency workers only please"

Platform9

Had my 2nd stage assessments inc MMI this week just gone.

Before we'd even started they specifically said it would be a week before finding out how we'd done, needless to say I haven't heard anything thus far so it's concerning me a little that some may have. I'd assume everyone would have been treated the same ?!

If it was a fail would they leave you waiting longer to find out, just don't know.

RachelT

There are plenty of inept police workers and plenty of perfectly capable office/warehouse/retail workers.

Saxon79

I'm ex Army and ex Prison service and currently work for TfW. This does not guarantee me anything at all. I'm under no illusions that there is some top candidates applied for these jobs.

Hi guys,

I think sometimes it is just luck of the draw. Does not matter what your background is. I believe each TOC will line up so many internal applicants for interview and then line up so many external applicants. If you keep applying you will get at least a chance. Why not do some work even if its voluntary to exercise the skills they are looking for?
I will keep applying until I have passed or failed the psychometric assessments twice. If its what you want to do you will get there!

Anon87

Whilst I totally respect other opinions on this forum, I’m sure that specific background is irrelevant as long as you have gained the required skills in some way, shape or form! Let’s face it, we’re in 2020 not 1990.

Sorry mate ,But this has to be the dumbest thing I have heard.

Anon87

Sorry mate ,But this has to be the dumbest thing I have heard.
Totally agree. You get a lot of this ‘straight in the bin’ nonsense from trolls on here. As if the process is being managed by some dinosaur smoking a pipe in an office, not a professional outlet.

Ghost_rider

Congratulations. I bet you are very relieved. You have choices now that Northern are after a trainee Driver at Liverpool too! A great position to be in..

Nice one! Yeah, feels like a huge weight has lifted of my shoulders!

That's not a bad shout about Liverpool , can't do any harm having a go!

BrokenSam

Totally agree. You get a lot of this ‘straight in the bin’ nonsense from trolls on here. As if the process is being managed by some dinosaur smoking a pipe in an office, not a professional outlet.
When normally processed through TFW, the first sift is automated. That's true. How Acorn do it is anybody's guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.