• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TGV crew make unscheduled stop to remove anti-masker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
The French news channel LCI reports that on Sunday afternoon a Paris-Nice TGV made an unscheduled stop at Le Creusot TGV station.

SNCF staff confronted a man who refused to comply with the law on wearing a mask on public transport. Refusing to put one on, they removed him and deposited him at Le Creusot. He refused to identify himself so was arrested by the Gendarmes.

Here’s an extract of the LCI news report with my translation:

"Dommage d'en arriver là, mais la santé et la sécurité de tous sont notre priorité". Sur Twitter, Alain Krakovitch, directeur général de SNCF Voyage, a commenté l'incident peu commun qui s'est déroulé à bord d'un TGV, dimanche après-midi, au Creusot. C'est dans la gare de cette ville qu'un passager a été débarqué pour avoir refusé de porter un masque.

Le TGV Paris-Nice ne devait normalement pas s'arrêter avant Marseille, mais la Sûreté ferroviaire (Suge) a dû intervenir "pour une injonction de descente du train, en raison d'un individu qui refusait le port du masque à bord", a précisé la compagnie à l'AFP. La contrainte peut être utilisée par les agents de la sûreté ferroviaire "si l'individu refuse d'obtempérer, ce qui fut le cas concernant cet individu", a-t-elle précisé, citant l'article L 2241-6 du code des transports.

”It’s too bad it ended up like this, but the health and safety of everyone is our priority” tweeted Alain Krakovitch, general manager of SNCF, about the unusual incident which took place on board a TGV on Sunday afternoon at Le Creusot. It was at the station in that town that a passenger was disembarked for refusing to wear a mask.

The TGV Paris-Nice should not normally stop before Marseilles, but the Railway Security (Suge) had to intervene "for an injunction to get off the train, due to an individual who refused to wear a mask on board" , the company told AFP. The constraint can be used by railway security officers "if the individual refuses to comply, which was the case with this individual", she specified, citing article L 2241-6 of the code of transport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Kelford

A slightly modified translation:

”It's a shame that we had to take such a course of action, but the health and safety of everyone is our priority” tweeted Alain Krakovitch, general manager of SNCF Voyage (a subsidiary of SNCF), about the unusual incident which took place on board a TGV on Sunday afternoon at Le Creusot (a station a short distance to the west of Dijon), where a passenger was disembarked for refusing to wear a mask.

The TGV Paris-Nice was not scheduled to stop until reaching Marseille, but the Railway Security (Suge) had to intervene "to remove the person from the train, due to an individual who refused to wear a mask on board" , the company told AFP. Forced disembarkation can be used by railway security officers "if the individual refuses to comply, which was the case with this individual", the company she specified, citing article L 2241-6 of the Transport Code.

peteb

Is this sort of thing easier to manage in France because they still have a sort of nationalised rail service? Was the train much delayed or was the gendarmerie waiting for the culprit?

etr221

Looking at the LCI piece, if I understand it correctly, the train had a five minute stop, and made up the time; and the non-mask wearer had to pay a €135 fine.

And it was the Sûreté ferroviaire (Suge), otherwise (and formerly) known as the police ferroviaire, i.e railway police, that had to intervene - I wouldn't be suprrised if there were some based at Le Creusot TGV station.

All perhaps reflecting a more authoritarian attitude on the part of the the French, taking mask wearing (and such) more seriously than we do.

SHD

The guard of the train is on Twitter and has commented that in addition to refusing to wear a mask, the passenger was very unruly, obviously under the influence of alcohol or other substances, and was screaming around, bare torso, in the bar coach.

Ptdr mon TGV a fait un arrêt exceptionnel au MILIEU DE NULLE PART pour foutre dehors un mec qui refusait de porter le masque

On devait pas s'arrêter avant Marseille, le mec le retrouve au fin fond de la Bourgogne. Ptdr.

English translation said:
Ptdr my TGV made an exceptional stop in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE to kick out a guy who refused to wear a mask.

We should not stop before Marseille, the guy finds him in the depths of Burgundy. Ptdr.

I do not think that the BTP would have been much more lenient in the same circumstances!

Last edited by a moderator:

TRAX

Established Member
The guard of the train is on Twitter and has commented that in addition to refusing to wear a mask, the passenger was very unruly, obviously under the influence of alcohol or other substances, and was screaming around, bare torso, in the bar coach.

I do not think that the BTP would have been much more lenient in the same circumstances!

This changes everything.

peteb

Yes I can see unsolicited cabaret act in the bar plus covid non compliance would be good grounds for ejection. I'm glad this has had publicity because theres nothing worse than being stuck on a long distance train with disruptive fellow passengers.......

Veteran Member
And it was the Sûreté ferroviaire (Suge), otherwise (and formerly) known as the police ferroviaire, i.e railway police, that had to intervene - I wouldn't be suprrised if there were some based at Le Creusot TGV station.
Le Creusot TGV is by far the quietest station on the route, so I would be surprised :)
OTOH it would give the offender a challenge to get further South...

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Preferably with beetroot.

Is Le Creusot one of the "beetroot" stations? Seemingly as part of the deal to allow the LGVs to cross the various regions of France those same regions negotiated obtaining stations on the routes. SNCF being SNCF generally placed them in a beetroot field in the middle of nowhere - hence their byname.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is Le Creusot one of the "beetroot" stations? Seemingly as part of the deal to allow the LGVs to cross the various regions of France those same regions negotiated obtaining stations on the routes. SNCF being SNCF generally placed them in a beetroot field in the middle of nowhere - hence their byname.
Yes, I had an appointment in Le Creusot itself. Flew to CdG (this was before HS1 so Eurostar was too slow) and there was a direct evening train arriving after dark. 2km walk to a hotel, I'd found a bus timetable on the internet for a service into the town the following morning but the hotel didn't know anything about it and asked for a copy. Rather to my surprise the bus turned up and went where it said it would, the driver even dropping me where I wanted. My meeting ended about 4hr before my booked return train but by getting a taxi I was able to re-book onto the previous train (3hr before!) and spend the time wandering round Paris before my flight home.

Wolfie

Established Member
I love it. Thank you for the insight...

Peter Kelford

It's full name should give you a clue:

La gare du Creusot - Montceau(-les-Mines) - Montchanin TGV

One such 'other substance', was found by the police on him later on.

In the initial article there was also mention of 'a breach of the peace'.

MarcVD

La gare du Creusot - Montceau(-les-Mines) - Montchanin

At the time LGV sud est was opened, the local village where the station is located, named Ecuisses, threatened to block the opening of the station if its name was not added to the station name. So for a few years that station was named
Le Creusot - Montceau - Montchanin - Ecuisses. Must be a record...

AlbertBeale

Established Member
At the time LGV sud est was opened, the local village where the station is located, named Ecuisses, threatened to block the opening of the station if its name was not added to the station name. So for a few years that station was named
Le Creusot - Montceau - Montchanin - Ecuisses. Must be a record...

Only just a record! Don't forget Oulx-Cesana-Claviere-Sestriere on the line to France from Turin - the last main station before Bardonecchia and the Frejus tunnel to Modane. (Sestriere must be about 20 miles from the railway.)

Peter Kelford

Only just a record! Don't forget Oulx-Cesana-Claviere-Sestriere on the line to France from Turin - the last main station before Bardonecchia and the Frejus tunnel to Modane. (Sestriere must be about 20 miles from the railway.)

Moûtiers-Salins-Brides-les-Bains

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
So, he wasn't an "anti-masker" at all.

The headline and article suggests some kind of (un)masked crusader, defending the rights to be bare-faced etc.

In reality he was off his head on something, committing a crime, and by the way he happened to be not wearing a mask.

Full story puts things into perspective.

erk

Intrigued by the guard's use of ptdr (twice) I looked it up. Pété de rire corresponds to PMSL (which I also had to look up...).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
He was in a second state :D if you translate "dans un état 2nd" literally!

Intrigued by the guard's use of ptdr (twice) I looked it up. Pété de rire corresponds to PMSL (which I also had to look up...).

MDR (mort de rire) corresponds to LOL (laughing out loud)

Status
Not open for further replies.