• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TGV Derailment (5th March)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
It's being reported that a TGV has derailed while travelling from Strasbourg to Paris, near Ingenheim. 21 people are hurt, currently none have died. 1 person (I think the driver) is very seriously injured.

Early news reports are blaming the collapse of an embankment.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SHD

Thankfully there was no train coming from the other direction at that very moment. The line speed at this point is 320 km/h but the train that derailed was probably in full acceleration.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Considering the speed of the train, it seems quite lucky indeed that it hasn't caused many injuries as such.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The site is only about 20km from the eastern end of the LGV where the on-test TGV derailment happened in 2015 (Eckwersheim).
At least this looks not to be an operational error.
The railway cutting sides look quite shallow, although you can never tell with a distant camera.
HS2 designers will no doubt be taking note.

gysev

According to this newspaper, SNCF doesn't call it a derailment but they said that a train had left the track. One wonders what those pressboys and -girls at SNCF had for breakfast.

PartyOperator

More info from SNCF here:

https://twitter.com/GroupeSNCF/status/1235489459342389250

GCSE French translation attempt:
"Following a very significant landslip, a TGV on the Colmar - Sélestat - Strasbourg - Paris-Est route has left the track [i.e. derailed]. Despite this departure from the track, the TGV remained standing. Initial findings indicate that three people were injured. The seriously injured TGV driver was evacuated by helicopter. The train manager, with back trauma, was taken care of immediately and a traveler suffered a slight face injury. The safety measures required to ensure the safety of the 300 passengers on board worked perfectly. SNCF salutes the professionalism of its personnel on board. SNCF is prioritising the support of travelers on this TGV so that they can reach their destination as soon as possible and under the best possible conditions. An internal investigation was immediately launched by the public railway safety authority [EPSF]. Rail traffic between Paris and Strasbourg is not interrupted and all TGVs are diverted by the classic lines between Vendenheim and Baudrecourt."

On Moderation
Euro Duplex set 4707 involved by the look of it.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
According to this newspaper, SNCF doesn't call it a derailment but they said that a train had left the track. One wonders what those pressboys and -girls at SNCF had for breakfast.
is this a lost-in-translation issue? Left the track but didn't leave the railway?

daikilo

Established Member
Looks like a nasty track buckle in the opposite direction also!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looks like a nasty track buckle in the opposite direction also!
If you're referring to the picture in #2, I think the train would have been going away from camera on the left hand track and the buckles in both tracks were created when the landslip diverted the power car to the right. This is consistent with other pictures showing it with the front bogie of the power car on the opposite track.

TRAX

Established Member
Yes, the buckle is where the train landed after being thrown up by the landslide. It nearly landed perfectly on the right-hand-side track, in fact.

37201xoIM

Considering the speed of the train, it seems quite lucky indeed that it hasn't caused many injuries as such.
Agreed, though I suspect not purely luck: the TGV design of power cars plus articulated trailers does appear to perform very well in derailments, even at such high speeds. I believe that some years ago there was one at a not dissimilar speed on LGV Nord, and again (thankfully) with precious few casualties.

I hate to say it but I did find myself wondering whether the result would have been the same had this been a DB ICE.

TRAX

Established Member
Agreed, though I suspect not purely luck: the TGV design of power cars plus articulated trailers does appear to perform very well in derailments, even at such high speeds. I believe that some years ago there was one at a not dissimilar speed on LGV Nord, and again (thankfully) with precious few casualties.

I hate to say it but I did find myself wondering whether the result would have been the same had this been a DB ICE.

The LGV Nord derailment you are mentioning is the Eurostar one in 2000.
And yes indeed, if those had been Velaros or any other non-articulated designs, they would’ve been a straight mess (see the Eschede derailment).

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Difficult to say exactly, but certainly the articulated design does seem far less prone to jacknifing than conventional carriage connections, whether that's because of the way the carriages are joined or how the bogies sit in relation to the carriages though...

I believe there have been a couple of similarly high-speed derailments of TGVs with no casualties yes

Veteran Member
The LGV Nord derailment you are mentioning is the Eurostar one in 2000.
And yes indeed, if those had been Velaros or any other non-articulated designs, they would’ve been a straight mess (see the Eschede derailment).
Possibly, but as the Eschede accident involved a wheel failure, pointwork and ultimately a bridge I don't think we can safely make comparisons.

daikilo

Established Member
Yes, the buckle is where the train landed after being thrown up by the landslide. It nearly landed perfectly on the right-hand-side track, in fact.

I'm having difficulty envisaging the dynamics of that at 270km/h on the outer curve unless the landslide was moving, fast. Lateral forces must have been "significant", which I guess explains at least some of the injuries to the driver.

TRAX

Established Member
I'm having difficulty envisaging the dynamics of that at 270km/h on the outer curve unless the landslide was moving, fast. Lateral forces must have been "significant", which I guess explains at least some of the injuries to the driver.
A slight correction, that was at 292 kph. Also, the picture is heavily zoomed in so the distances are reduced.
Basically there was a heap of land on the left track, the driver saw it and hit the emergency brake, the train then jumped on said heap and was launched in the air towards the right hand side track - the leading bogie of 4707 almost fell perfectly on this track (a cheap alternative to using points ? :D). Pulling a bunch of derailed coaches, the train then plowed through the trackbed for 1.3 km before coming to a stop.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Only just seen this.

Very unusual to get a landslide on an earthwork of that slope (it will be 30 degrees).

37201xoIM

Thanks for the comments above - yes, I'd be inclined to agree about this apparent advantage of articulation, or at least this design of articulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.