• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TGV seat layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosherB

Established Member
Anyone know where I find a seat layout diagram for TGV Lille - Aix En Provence TGV?

CS

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crompton Karl

I work for SNCF's UK division (Rail Europe), i can get hold of all the seating layouts for all types of TGV, but i am not at work till monday, PM me your e-mail and once i get to work i will e-mail you them in PDF format.

All the best.

Karl :)

Driver74

Having just experienced a round trip on the TGV Paris to Basle, I was not impressed. As a 1st class traveller in both directions I was seated against a 2 foot divider between windows with four facing seats, so very restricted viewing out of what little window one had. If those in front pulled down the blind you saw nothing. On the return, two out of three 1st class toilets were out of use and the third contained no toilet paper and there was no coffee available. No coat hangers or rubbish bins. If you get the seating plans you will know what I mean. To be avoided at all costs. Go to Brussles and work from there.
I'd be interested in others experiences of this much publisized service
Good luck

CosherB

Established Member
Just back Wilmslow - London- Lille - Aix En Provence and back, all 1st class. I loved it! Will post further soon.

CS
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

OK, all unpacked and ready to post.

I travelled out this Monday (23rd) Pendelino from Wilmslow (Wilmslow to Stockport on a 323, then change at Stockport on to the Pendo) first class. I was in coach K, the leading vehicle, the first time I've travelled in this coach and the ride was much rougher than the many other Pendo journeys I've done.

Went to an aviation art exhibition at Mall gallery, then stayed overnight in Crowne Plaza St James Park (free - I've got loads of reward points for that hotel group). Next morning (Tuesday) off to Waterloo for the 08:35 Eurostar 1st class to Lille. I'd booked my journey from London to Aix En Provence and back through Eurostar, paying the £5 telephone booking fee rather than do it all on line to get the exact seats I wanted. I had super seats each way on Eurostar, single seat by a window. Good at-seat breakfast and beverage service, and after the crawl through the south London suburbs we hit the CTRL and whizzed down to Ashford at high speed. Slow through the chunnel, then high speed to Lille where I changed to TGV.

I'd asked Eurostar for first class upper deck single window seats on TGV, but they said they could ask, but had no direct control of seat allocation on the TGV. As it happened, I'd been allocated a lower deck single window seat, which I sat at for a while, then had a look upstairs. Lots of spare seats, so I moved to the forward-facing single seat of a pair with a table between them and next to a window. Here I adopted my favourite 'Pendo' seating position; fully recline my seat and the facing one, TAKE OFF MY SHOES, put my feet up on the opposite seat, sit back, and relax (with a glass of something red, of course!).

The train manager wasn't bothered I wasn't in my allocated seat, even though I was using the cheapest possible 1st class ticket (only for use on the specified train, and non-changeable or refundable). This was great! It was like flying at 15 feet all the way down through France to Aix. All the toilets were clean and working, no at-seat service but toasties and other drinks and snacks available at the upper-deck buffet. The train was absolutely rock steady at 300 kph, with my wine bottle, glass, and food not moving at all on the table, even round the curves (where the track is well tilted to reduce any sideways forces).

I stayed overnight in Aix, then next morning (yesterday) caught the 08:53 Aix to Lille TGV. This time my seat was in upper, but was between 2 windows. So I moved to the seat in front which was perfectly aligned to the window. Again, there were no problems doing this. This seat was a single and though I could have moved to a facing pair as I had the day before, I decided to stay in the single seat - very comfortable, with a fold-down foot rest on the back of the seat in front.

Arrived Lille at 13:35 in time for the 14:03 Eurostar back to Waterloo - again, nice single window seat with an excellent at-seat lunch service with drinks included. Into Waterloo just before 15:00, giving me about 3 hours in the Science Museum before a quick pint of London Pride in the 'Doric Arch' and tea and biccys in the Virgin 1st class lounge at Euston. 19:35 Pendo direct to Wilmslow with at-seat evening snack and drinks (and my favourite 'two facing seats feet-up' seating position - yes, I'd moved from my allocated aisle seat in a group of 4 to this pair of un-allocated seats and the TM didn't mind). Home by 21:35.

Every train was bang on time. All (except that rough initial Pendo journey) supremely comfortable. I may have been lucky in that I moved seats on TGV and Virgin with no complaints, but especially on TGV there were lots to choose from so I shouldn't be a problem. And unlike the Brits, the French don’t yak away on mobiles (the few who did moved to the vestibule first) or wear ‘personal’ stereos. So it was nice and quiet, too.

Cost? Wilmslow to Euston return, 1st class, just over £70. Waterloo to Aix return 1st class, about £240.

It would be nice to know if there's a way of getting exact seat preferences on TGV as you can for Eurostar.

Now I fancy a Eurostar to Bruges once it moves to St Pancras!

CS.

Driver74

An interesting report on your recent trip.

I have to admit that our outward journey from Paris on the single decked TGV was similar to your own regarding seating changes. Seated between two windows we also were able to move to a window seat. The return unfortunately was jam packed in 1st class hence my report. The French might not use mobiles on trains but boy they sure can drown out others conversation when they talk so excitedly and loudly.
I wonder if Eurostar will ever get a direct Route into Switzerland. The German Ice3’s have managed to get in road but this is a pact.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please don't dig up old threads unless you have something constructive to add. If you have a specific question for another user please PM them.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.