• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thames Branches Day Ranger: Validity during Evening peak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Evening all :)

Just been on NRE, and noticed that the Thames Day Ranger offers unlimited travel between Reading and London Pad (and branches between the two) "after 9:30 am Monday - Friday/ all day Weekends".

Would it therefore be possible to use it during the evening peak? I was slightly surprised that NRE mentions no restriction on this, given the amount of commuters who travel between London Pad and Reading at this time.

Link to ticket here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr601e4c0a04000200f63dfe8f29a46f/details.html

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
I believe it is only valid on the 'local services', usually if theres a Turbo (Class 165/166) then it's valid, if its a HST then it won't be valid.

I think that applies to the Thames Rover.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There is on the FGW website at least, and no doubt in the relevant leaflet from FGW on rangers/rovers, a list of Intercity workings it's not valid on out of Paddington. Certainly used to be anyway, but from vague memory it should be fine on Turbos but not on HSTs.

David Goddard

Established Member
I believe it is only valid on the 'local services', usually if theres a Turbo (Class 165/166) then it's valid, if its a HST then it won't be valid.

I think that applies to the Thames Rover.

There are three HSTs that are valid for these tickets.
1622 Oxford
1706 Bristol (via Newbury, listed as Bradford-on-Avon on departure screens)
1806 Frome
Have used the 1706 a couple of times and never had a problem getting a seat either!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is "Available after 0930 (Monday-Fridays) or when Cheap Day Return is valid (whichever is earlier)" not correct then?

The National Rail website is usually correct.

If this is not correct, where is it stated otherwise?

sonic2009

Established Member
Is "Available after 0930 (Monday-Fridays) or when Cheap Day Return is valid (whichever is earlier)" not correct then?

The National Rail website is usually correct.

If this is not correct, where is it stated otherwise?

It appears the National Rail website is incorrect, maybe a suitable letter or email to them would help.

It's stated here at the FGW website that is not permitted on some evening peak services from London Paddington to Reading.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Terms-and-conditions/London-and-Thames-Valley-Ranger-and-Rover-terms-and-conditions

Roylang

It appears the National Rail website is incorrect, maybe a suitable letter or email to them would help.

It's stated here at the FGW website that is not permitted on some evening peak services from London Paddington to Reading.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Terms-and-conditions/London-and-Thames-Valley-Ranger-and-Rover-terms-and-conditions

Where would you stand if challenged by FGW staff having followed the validity from the National Rail site? Given that those terms and conditions even use different titles for the tickets and it is very hard to find info on these rangers on the FGW site, I would say that they would be hard pressed to actually penalise you.

Reason I ask, I was going to use one last week (before the rain came) and was planning to use HST services as these appeared valid on the NR website.

Roy

Established Member
First Great Western staff from what I have heard from a one or two isolated stories will prevent access to the platforms if barriered so the chances of getting even remotely close to those services is slim although that's just my opinion.

CC 72100

Established Member
Right, I don't know how to multiquote very well so I'll do it this way..

@ lewisrday + Techniquest: Thanks for that. Had a feeling it looked to good to be true and there we go it was.

@David Goddard: Again thanks for that, will bear in mind if I do use the ticket at some point. Apologies that it had been posted about before - I'm a bit of a newbie to this section of the forum, and the search function sometimes isn't as good as it could be, so I didn't bother doing one!

@ sonic2009: Could be worth doing, to avoid any others potentially coming to the same conclusion as I almost did, although I'd be unsure on how to word it...

@RoyLang : Exactly! Sums up my thoughts on the matter too!

Cheers for all the responses so far! :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Right, I don't know how to multiquote very well so I'll do it this way..

Click
Multi-Quote.jpg
at the bottom right-hand corner of each post you want to quote, and click
PostReply.jpg
when you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.