• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thames Valley changes 07/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimm

Established Member
Eh? The one I have shows virtually all of them and dated May to Dec 15.

If you are referring to this page at the FGW website,

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/train-times-and-tickets/train-times/from-17-may-2015

the initial issue of May to December East area timetables can be viewed at the links saying Until 6 September.

Under each of those is link to a new pocket timetable From 7 September, which show the loss of first class on Thames Valley local services. The printed versions available at stations all have a yellow flash on them saying Updated.

Why the until 6 September ones are still there is anyone's guess. I suppose they will vanish as of tomorrow or Monday when the new GWR website takes over.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
No, of course not, but I did assume that a batch of FGW's 165s had no first class anyway, and that they would have been used. If I am wrong on that, it would explain the current situation.

All FGW 165s have the same 1st class provision!

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
If you are referring to this page at the FGW website,

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/train-times-and-tickets/train-times/from-17-may-2015

the initial issue of May to December East area timetables can be viewed at the links saying Until 6 September.

Under each of those is link to a new pocket timetable From 7 September, which show the loss of first class on Thames Valley local services. The printed versions available at stations all have a yellow flash on them saying Updated.

Why the until 6 September ones are still there is anyone's guess. I suppose they will vanish as of tomorrow or Monday when the new GWR website takes over.

:oops: My apologies, I never noticed the dates. I would still ask though, just in case they want to get stroppy!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess with the removal of First Class on the local stoppers from Paddington (apart from those listed at post 60) means you can't use the 1st class lounge at Paddington with a 1st class travelcard anymore?

I had 165123 yesterday back to Basingstoke, nice to see the "the seats in this area are for standard class passengers" stickers in the former 1st class section

lightbulb

I guess with the removal of First Class on the local stoppers from Paddington (apart from those listed at post 60) means you can't use the 1st class lounge at Paddington with a 1st class travelcard anymore?

I have a return portion of an FOR Luton Airport Parkway - West Drayton, so will probably make use of the 1st class lounge at Paddington next week. Even given that 1st class is limited to the peak hours, 1st class tickets are still available at all times, so access to the lounge should not be limited. Even a 1st class single between Paddington and West Ealing at £6.30 should provide access, even though there's only one train a day with 1st class accommodation.

hassaanhc

Established Member

I had 165123 yesterday back to Basingstoke, nice to see the "the seats in this area are for standard class passengers" stickers in the former 1st class section

165121 also had those stickers, and with FGW branding too :?

Deepgreen

Established Member
165121 also had those stickers, and with FGW branding too :?

Caught a 165 from Betchworth this morning (104 I think) which had had the yellow stripe removed, the bodyside '1' partly removed and the small cup tables very crudely ripped out! Don't see the point of taking the tables out -they are hardly a first class perk!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Caught a 165 from Betchworth this morning (104 I think) which had had the yellow stripe removed, the bodyside '1' partly removed and the small cup tables very crudely ripped out! Don't see the point of taking the tables out -they are hardly a first class perk!
Perhaps Great Western Railway considers them to be a perk when other TOCs don't.

After all Cross Country Trains charge for wifi use but many other TOCs don't.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Is tea/coffee from the trolley complimentary for First Class ticket holders on the Gatwicks and Bedwyns, in line with GWR practice elsewhere?

TEW

Established Member
Yes. That one was stated as one to the upsides to the removal of First Class on some trains. Some others would gain complimentary refreshments.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes. That one was stated as one to the upsides to the removal of First Class on some trains. Some others would gain complimentary refreshments.
Does anyone know why the removed the refreshments in the first place?

hassaanhc

Established Member

I didn't see what the interior of First was like, but the 1 and yellow stripe were still there.

TEW

Established Member
Does anyone know why the removed the refreshments in the first place?

AFAIK there haven't been trolleys on Reading-Gatwick Airport trains for a long time. I believe some were offered under Thames Trains. I'm not sure in London-Bedwyn trains have ever had trolleys before.

Status
Not open for further replies.