Thamesdown Transport taken over by Go Ahead

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by BPWUser1, 3 Feb 2017.

1. winston270twm

winston270twm Established Member

I'd have thought that Warrington especially may interest Rotala if it came on the market, i.e to bolster their NW presence south of Manchester & potentially even Halton.

Another option for Halton may be D&G which could tkae them further north.

2. AaronR

AaronR Member

No it doesnt and they have not advertised for a replacement yet apparently. The last MD done untold damage apparently, especially to staff morale, drivers have left to go to First in Ipswich, that would have never happened in the past! He scrapped things like the Xmas shopping excursions, the Real Ale tours for Suffolk Camra, made a lot of unpopular changed to the routes and schedules and was a contributing factor in why IB have lost the Park and Ride contract apparently. The fleet is looking much more down at heel recently as well, no further repaints etc

3. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

Transdev have a large stake in Nottingham which, unless they sold that stake, means (off topic) Transdev would be an unlikely buyer of Trent Barton should the latter come up for sale.

4. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I concur with that. Cardiff might also be included for political/devolution reasons. rather than pure bus reasons, should such exist.

5. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Political reasons helped save Ipswich and Rossendale in the past as the issue of keeping their buses 'local' was an issue in local council elections in both Rossendale and Ipswich.

6. Ginga

Ginga Member

I did say to Jon Collins (Nottingham City Council leader) sell off Nct. As it would raise around £34m, at a time when council budgets are being cut. He said no as it would lead to higher fares and Network cuts. Going back a few years ,Nct had a large Pension hole that need plugging. The Enviro 200's are/were (not sure if they are payed off yet) rentals from a Spanish bank. They are also moving onto a "budget" brand tyre . Alex Hornby and David (whats his name) the commerical Manager at Nct. Signed away the Bsog payments in Nottingham ,in exchange for £4m and "goverment better bus funding" that they said would lead to a 5% increase in Passengers.

7. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

8. Hophead

Hophead Member

9. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

You have to wonder if some of the changes are just to keep the CMM happy. oh look a big player has come to town let shake it up...

10. Baxenden Bank

Baxenden Bank Member

David Astill - formerly of First in the Potteries.

and mentioned on the same forum thread as Jeremy Cooper - also formerly of First in the Potteries (or perhaps PMT Ltd) - recently departed Ipswich.

It's a small world.

11. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Established Member

I've heard Thamesdown have registered a route to Oxford, however haven't been able to find anything on the VOSA website yet. No word on route or number yet.

12. overthewater

As the old saying goes " What a better bus service? Start a bus war"

13. overthewater

Go Ahead are looking at rebranding the company and are also introducing 13 new single deckers. On top of that its also removing charges for dogs on its services.

I thought all companies had stop doing that years ago.....

14. freetoview33

freetoview33 Established Member

Looks like thamesdown has been stuck in the past, most likely because SBC lacked money to invest and were trying to get every penny they could.

As with the branding, I think Thamesdown is an okay name, especially if they expand towards Oxford. But I think they could do with a new look to show the fresh start.

15. Marc

Marc Member

does anyone know what machines have thamesdown been using and what are they changeing to?? it must have been some well outdated tech if the smartcards arent compatable.

16. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

Not too far from goongumpas treacle mine!
    Were they using Setrights?

17. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Bell Punch?:lol:

18. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

19. ChrisPJ

ChrisPJ Member

TGX200 at Thanesdown isn't it?

20. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

Not too far from goongumpas treacle mine!
    Thamesdown Enviro No 2766 (YX17 NHU) was present at the Southsea Spectacular on Sunday. Other new vehicles present were a Xelabus Enviro 200 and a Wheelers Enviro 400 City.

Attached Files: