• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink and Crossrail - comparisons with S-Bahn and RER

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppercapped

Established Member
There have been several threads concerning the trains and the service to be offered by both Thameslink and Crossrail. In both cases comparisons have been made to the S-Bahn operations in Germany and similar services in other cities in Europe such as the RER in Paris - the suggestions often being that if <something-or-other> can be done there, why can’t it be done here.

I thought I’d start a new thread to concentrate on the network design to avoid cluttering up the traction pages with this debate.

I am most familiar with German practice having lived and worked in the country for a dozen years including 3 years in München. Things that seems to be missing from comments posted here on German practice is an acknowledgement of how different Germany is from the UK and also how different S-Bahnen can be from normal German local and regional train operation.

Firstly - London is unique. It is very much larger than any German city, the only other European city which comparable is Paris. The city-state of Berlin has 3.8 million inhabitants and the surrounding metropolitan area brings the numbers up to some 6 million - all other German cities are smaller. Greater London’s population is 8.7 million and that of the metropolitan area is some 14 million.

Another way of looking at the differences is the total population of several countries and looking at the percentage of the urban population living in each ones largest city. For a selection of countries the World Bank gives the following recent numbers:

• GB 64.5 million 19%
  • BE 11.2 million 18%
  • CH 8.2 million 20%
  • DE 80.9 million 6%
  • FR 66.2 million 21%
  • NL 16.9 million 7%

So it can be seen that the populations in Germany and the Netherlands are more distributed than the UK. For Belgium and Switzerland the percentage of the population living in or near the largest city is comparable to London, the cities themselves are much smaller so the problems aren’t so immense.

Within Germany, S-Bahnen differ from other local and regional routes in that they have

• a regular timetable with dense headways and prolonged periods of operation,
  • comparatively small distances between stops, compared both with the mainline as well as the previously offered service on the route,
  • close integration with other modes of public transport,
  • special trains, laid out for high capacity (high acceleration, reduced seating) and rapid passenger ingress and egress (many and wide doors),
  • easily accessible stations with generously dimensioned access routes,
  • segregation and separate alignment of tracks, particularly in busy areas,
  • their own dedicated control, separate from that of longer distance trains,
  • separate marketing under a brand name, (S-Bahn), targeted to increase public perception and to associate the service with increased political prestige of the area and its funding politicians.

As each S-Bahnnetz has a different history, not all of these features are present in every one - or at least not to the same extent - but the trend is that they are all moving towards the same targets.

Thameslink and Crossrail each have a central tunnelled section connecting with branches at each end. Of the 14 S-Bahn networks in Germany only six have a similar topography - Dresden, Hamburg, München, Nürnberg, Rhein-Main (Frankfurt-am-Main) and Stuttgart, even if not all of them have a tunnel! All the others are single route or polycentric systems with different characteristics although there are borderline cases such as Leipzig-Halle.

The S-Bahn that I am most familiar with is München. This delightful city has a population of about 1.5 million and with its metropolitan region just under 6 million. None of the branches of its S-Bahn are more than about 20 miles long and it operates a minimum 20 minute interval off-peak and 10 minutes peak on each one. The exception is the outlying Altomünster to Dachau line which is, IIRC, every 60 minutes off-peak and 30 minutes peak. Apart from Altomünster, the maximum length of journey from the city centre is 45 to 50 minutes. The trains (ET423) - - are four coach articulated units, maximum train length is three units. They have stunning acceleration - 2,350kW for a total mass of 101 tonnes (no toilets!) - but cloth covered ironing boards for seats…

All this means that there are 30 trains per hour through the central tunnel in the peaks but the trains run mostly on segregated tracks outside. A major exception is the dozen miles on line S1 from the western boundary of the Nymphenburg Gardens - to the west of the Hbf - to Neufahrn and Freising which is shared with mainline trains to and from Landshut, Regensburg and Plattling. Even here there are some stretches of multiple track and the ability to loop trains at selected stations - and the mainline trains have a similar speed to the S-Bahn ones, 140kph. The junctions near the centre are grade separated, including those at München-Ost where trains on the lines S3 to Holzkirchen and S7 to Kreuzstrasse reverse.

As neither Thameslink nor Crossrail have the exclusive use of their own tracks, apart from the central tunnel, any comparison already falls down. If Crossrail were an S-Bahn it would now have its dedicated tracks to at least past Stockley/Airport Junction on its western branch, this being the first point where the train density would fall and it would also have a grade separated connection the the Relief lines at that point. If Thameslink were an S-Bahn it wouldn’t have a flat junction immediately at one end of its central section as exists at Blackfriars and it wouldn’t share high speed tracks as it will do at Welwyn. In view of the interaction with the rest of the network the management of both routes will have very hard jobs in meeting München’s performance even with a third fewer trains per hour.

How could a true RER/S-Bahn network be set up in London? How could segregrated tracks be realised? Where does the land and money come from?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
The closest thing London has is the London Underground which is actually more comparable to the German U bahns.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I've often wondered about an RER-style network in London - it seems that Crossrail is doing just that, and, with more being planned, a London RER network seems pretty close. S-Bahn? Probably not.

glbotu

I mean, as you say, everywhere is different, including within Germany. As I recall, the Koln S-Bahn (Rhein-Ruhr S-Bahn) and RER are much closer to what Crossrail is. RER definitely shares tracks out towards the Paris suburbs (line dependent of course). If you look at other S-Bahnen, like Hamburg and Berlin, they share way more in common with the sub-surface Underground lines than Crossrail.

Thameslink, on the other hand, is just a Regiobahn that happens to run through the city centre (like in Hamburg, between Altona and Hauptbahnhof and in Berlin, via the Hauptbahnhof). It happens to have a high frequency metro service, because it needs to or you'd need more tracks, but doesn't really come under the "S-Bahn/RER" umbrella.

MrB

I've often wondered about an RER-style network in London - it seems that Crossrail is doing just that, and, with more being planned, a London RER network seems pretty close. S-Bahn? Probably not.

An RER network in London would work well IMO. If that is the eventual plan it makes even less sense naming Crossrail the "Elizabeth Line" as we have now lost the opportunity to have Crossrail 1, Crossrail 2 etc.

daikilo

Established Member
Thameslink, on the other hand, is just a Regiobahn that happens to run through the city centre (like in Hamburg, between Altona and Hauptbahnhof and in Berlin, via the Hauptbahnhof). It happens to have a high frequency metro service, because it needs to or you'd need more tracks, but doesn't really come under the "S-Bahn/RER" umbrella.

Thamelink is very much an RER albeit not right Under the centre of the city (bit like the RER line C). It does have good distribution at each end of the "central section". Crossrail will be even more an RER and there will be the "interconnection" between it and Thameslink.

As to the names, "Thameslink", when originally conceived was just that, as was crossrail. To call one of them a "line" doesn't make sense. Merseyrail, which is a sort of miniature RER, has separate names for each line Under the overall brand.

Rick1984

I've wondered before about using the surface lines to create a larger S-Bahn network, with metro services using the core to link services.
Obviously the flat junctions would be the biggest problem.
Getting my crayons out, Hampton court, Chessington South and Greenford could be added to district line.

WestCoast

Established Member
Ive lived in Munich and given a bit of imagination it reminds me a tiny bit of Manchester and its environs (don't laugh!). Given unlimited funding and willing residents, I could imagine an S-Bahn system working well for Greater Manchester with a Pic-Vic tunnel and lots of branches using the existing system and new paths to Wigan, Bolton, Leigh, Rochdale, Glossop, Altrincham, Stalybridge, New Mills and other surrounding villages and towns. That's much like what the Munich S-Bahn does, and it's incredibly rural feeling in parts (e.g. out to Herrsching or Kreuzstraße feels like a rural branch line).

As for London, it's a different story but Crossrail and Thameslink are in many ways RER-esque.

J-2739

Established Member
Basically, Thameslink and Crossrail are not the same as an S-Bahn, which falls under a different category. I'd say Crossrail is like RER A, and Thameslink RER D.

If you're talking of train sizes, the S-Bahn looks rather like a Hornby trainset compared to the others. In that case, does London really need a new S-Bahn though? The population of Berlin is nearly a third of London's population.

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
All this means that there are 30 trains per hour through the central tunnel in the peaks but the trains run mostly on segregated tracks outside. A major exception is the dozen miles on line S1 from the western boundary of the Nymphenburg Gardens - to the west of the Hbf - to Neufahrn and Freising which is shared with mainline trains to and from Landshut, Regensburg and Plattling. Even here there are some stretches of multiple track and the ability to loop trains at selected stations - and the mainline trains have a similar speed to the S-Bahn ones, 140kph. The junctions near the centre are grade separated, including those at München-Ost where trains on the lines S3 to Holzkirchen and S7 to Kreuzstrasse reverse.

I think the lines to the airport are the main thing wrong with that network and where London excels over it. Munich has the problem that there's no express train (due to the lack of "mainline" tracks) to the airport and the S-Bahn is a lengthy 45-55 minutes from the city centre with limited luggage facilities and it's not particularly cheap for that trip either.

Also, what about the S6 out to Starnberg/Tutzing, that's not entirely segregated from the mainline trains out to Garmisch etc?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Basically, Thameslink and Crossrail are not the same as an S-Bahn, which falls under a different category. I'd say Crossrail is like RER A, and Thameslink RER D.

If you're talking of train sizes, the S-Bahn looks rather like a Hornby trainset compared to the others.

S-Bahn trains are very different in each city. Zurich S-Bahn uses loco-hauled double-decker stock while Berlin uses third-rail EMUs.

Last edited:

Uzair

Good thread idea.

I have always believed that Crossrail (no way in hell am I calling it the Elizabeth line) is very similar to the RER A in Paris. Between Vincennes in the south-east and La Defense in the north-east, the RER A is more or less a much faster option than Line 1 of the Metro. Similarly, Crossrail is a faster option between Ealing Broadway and Stratford.

glbotu is right; out in the suburbs, the RER lines definitely share tracks with Transilien network.

RER A, B and C all call at Chatelet-Les Halles. If (hopefully) Crossrail 2 goes ahead, Tottenham Court Road could be the London version of CLH.

coppercapped

Established Member
I think the lines to the airport are the main thing wrong with that network and where London excels over it. Munich has the problem that there's no express train (due to the lack of "mainline" tracks) to the airport and the S-Bahn is a lengthy 45-55 minutes from the city centre with limited luggage facilities and it's not particularly cheap for that trip either.

Also, what about the S6 out to Starnberg/Tutzing, that's not entirely segregated from the mainline trains out to Garmisch etc?

Getting to (and from) the airport was always a hassle! I had a flat near Pasing which meant on journeys back in the evening I had to change at Laim. A taxi took a third of the time, but was four times as expensive! I quite often took a taxi - getting out of Arrivals at 23.15 and then having over an hour to get home when a taxi could do it round the Autobahn in about 20 minutes - at that time of night the speedo was showing 200kph...

You are right - the S6 does share tracks - but only for the last 6 or so miles from Gauting to Starnberg. The mainline traffic isn't too dense so it works reasonably well. (I didn't mean to imply it was ONLY the S1 which shared tracks - I used it as an example). As you well know the other S-Bahn networks also share tracks in various places - but there always seems to be work going on somewhere to add another few miles of segregation (if you see what I mean) :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
RER A, B and C all call at Chatelet-Les Halles. If (hopefully) Crossrail 2 goes ahead, Tottenham Court Road could be the London version of CLH.

A long time ago, in a railway publication far, far, away (Modern Railways, c1991), it was suggested that when Thameslink 'Metro'* and Crossrail happened, Farringdon would then become a 'down market Châtelet-Les-Halles'.

*Thameslink Metro was the original name for Thameslink 2000, and before it became a very different end project, and thence the Thameslink Programme.

Uzair

Whilst we're on the subject of airport services, I definitely think that we win with accessibility. On Thameslink, the vast majority of trains are very well suited for passengers with luggage travelling to Luton and Gatwick Airports. On Crossrail, I'm sure the 345s will have also have decent luggage space for those travelling to Heathrow Airport.

On the other hand, IMHO the RER B trains are no where near as well suited to serve CDG Airport. There is no luggage space and the seats are ridiculously cramped. Every time I've travelled into central Paris from CDG, the trains operate a fast calling pattern, but from central Paris to CDG, I've never been on a train that doesn't call at every single station. This isn't helped by the fact that the RER B goes through some of the less popular suburbs of Paris on the way to CDG.

At least here we have numerous Thameslink trains to Luton and Gatwick Airports with limited calling patterns.

A long time ago, in a railway publication far, far, away (Modern Railways, c1991), it was suggested that when Thameslink 'Metro'* and Crossrail happened, Farringdon would then become a 'down market Châtelet-Les-Halles'.

*Thameslink Metro was the original name for Thameslink 2000, and before it became a very different end project, and thence the Thameslink Programme.

Interesting! I didn't think of Farringdon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.