• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink and IEP - Statement from Margaret Hodge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Margaret Hodge, Charman of the Public Accounts Committee, has issued the following statement:
http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...news/procuring-new-trains---chairs-statement/
The Intercity Express and Thameslink programmes are intended to bring much needed relief to rail passengers by addressing ongoing problems with long term costs, train capacity and reliability.

The programmes required £6.5 billion in initial funding which led the Department to adopt a PFI model as it could not find funding within its existing budgets. I am pleased to learn that whilst completing these deals during difficult financial times, the Department has retained the ability to re-finance at a later date to secure better value for money for the taxpayer.

I am worried however that the Department accepted a revised bid from its preferred bidder, Agility Trains on the Intercity Express, without first checking whether other providers could deliver a better deal. I would have expected a more considered judgement from the Department given the scale of the project and the amount of money involved.
It is good to hear about the possible refinancing of Thameslink. I would guess that the IEP revaluation would have required an entirely new bidding process.
Anyone know why she has felt moved to make this statement today?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
With the World Cup going on, is it a good day to bury bad news about the Insanely Expensive Project?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Anyone know why she has felt moved to make this statement today?
Probably because of this NAO report on DfT procurement of the IEP and Thameslink trains, published today.
http://www.nao.org.uk/report/procuring-new-trains/

The issue which exercises the NAO the most is the DfT decision to order the second tranche of IEPs for East Coast, without going to market.
Reading between the lines, Eversholt (who would have offered new locos and refurbished Mk4s) and Alstom (new Pendolinos) kicked up a stink.
The DfT reasoning was to simplify the re-letting of the ICEC franchise and ensure it happened by 2015.
DfT is also criticized for keeping other manufacturers in the dark about its changing requirements for IEP, after it had selected Hitachi as preferred contractor.
And also the attitude the DfT has to rolling stock procurement generally: saying it is leaving it to the TOCs but then doing it itself.
The NAO wants a collective infrastructure/franchise/rolling stock strategy.

Last edited:

Oswyntail

Established Member
Thanks. Interesting summary of that report
“At the moment there is a gap between the Department's stated desire to play only a strategic role in the rail industry and how it is acting. It needs to ensure that the industry understands its policy on the procurement of trains and produce a detailed integrated plan bringing together infrastructure, rolling stock and franchising strategy.”

Amyas Morse, head of the National Audit Office, 9 July 2014

The Department for Transport signed contracts for two large procurements of rolling stock – for Thameslink and Intercity Express – in line with broad objectives. These include reducing the long-term costs to the whole rail system and improving the reliability and availability of trains by transferring risks to the train service suppliers as well as increasing capacity to accommodate predicted increases in demand. But the National Audit Office will not be able to conclude fully on the value for money of either project until the new trains are in service.

The Department’s objectives were designed in part to minimize the effects of long-standing issues in the rail industry. These issues and the scale of the procurements led to the Department’s decision to lead the procurements itself, despite not having led a major rolling stock procurement before. However, there is still a lack of incentives for train operators to consider long term, whole system costs more generally, such as maintenance costs for tracks, although the Department has begun working with industry to resolve such issues.

Today’s report also highlights that the Department was departing from its stated policy of leaving train procurements to the industry, particularly following its decision in July 2013 to exercise an option in the original contract with Agility Trains to add 270 carriages to its Intercity Express order at a cost of £1.4 billion. This has created confusion in parts of the industry about the Department’s role.

The Department estimates that future payments will be around £7.65 billion for InterCity Express over 27.5 years and £2.8 billion for Thameslink over 20 years. Contracts include the cost of the trains themselves as well as the cost of maintenance and of depots. The Department also has the opportunity to gain from future reductions in the cost of financing both procurements.

Today’s report points out that both procurements achieved levels of competition equivalent to or better than other rolling stock procurements since 2000. However, in the case of Intercity Express, the Department decided to proceed with a revised bid without rerunning the competition. The Department view is that no other manufacturer could offer better value for money but this remains untested.

Just two years after the Intercity Express procurement began, the Department decided to electrify the Great Western Mainline which meant that diesel trains were no longer needed. While the programme was designed to be flexible enough to accommodate this change of direction, the NAO recommends that the Department in future major procurements produce a detailed, integrated plan to bring together infrastructure, rolling stock and franchising strategy.

The Department awarded both contracts more than two and a half years later than intended, largely because of pauses to the procurements and the challenge of securing finance for these projects during the financial crises.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Reading between the lines, Eversholt (who would have offered new locos and refurbished Mk4s) and Alstom (new Pendolinos) kicked up a stink.
The DfT reasoning was to simplify the re-letting of the ICEC franchise and ensure it happened by 2015.
DfT is also criticized for keeping other manufacturers in the dark about its changing requirements for IEP, after it had selected Hitachi as preferred contractor.

That is far more of a scandal than anyone seems to be picking up, the column in Private Eye excepted.

I have always been deeply suspicious of the Insanely Expensive Project and the way it was awarded to Hitachi. The fact they keep changing the spec, to suit Hitachi, as well as ordering more trains without tendering for them is extremely troubling.

The dogmatic desire to get ICEC privatised before the election is apparently the driver. Essentially it looks like either dogmatism or corruption, in my view.

Carlisle

Established Member
Yes I was always surprised they did not consider pendilinos more seriously. , considering the interest shown in the past and potential for slightly faster journey times

snowball

Established Member

Hasn't Roger Ford of Modern Railways also been trying to interest the NAO in this?

You can click a button on his website to receive a monthly email summary of his column before the magazine appears. In the last issue there was nothing in the magazine but the email had this:

IEP back in the spotlight.

This piece has been overtaken by slow-moving events. Let me explain.

In October 2012, in response to a Parliamentary Question, DfT gave the annual charge for the Intercity Express Programme (IEP). My analysis showed that the cost per diagrammed vehicle was twice that of Class 390 Pendolinos for Virgin West Coast.

So in December 2012 I wrote to Amyas Morse, the Comptroller & Auditor General at the National Audit Office with a copy of the Informed Sources article containing this revelation. Subsequently NAO invited me in for a discussion. Then it all went quiet.

Earlier this year the contract for the East Coast IEP fleet reached financial close. As in 2012 Tony Berkeley, one of the feared railway Lords, put in a written question asking for the annual charge under the 27.5 year train service provision contract. DfT’s reply gave only the Net Present Value.

Lord Berkeley also asked for the annual charge for the Thameslink fleet, a 20 year train service provision deal. And guess what? DfT gave the NPV but seemed to overlook the annual charge.

Since you need the annual charge to calculate the NPV, Lord Berkeley put in follow-up questions, specifically asking for the annual charge used to calculate the quoted NPVs. As I write two answers have been published.

In the case of the Great Western IEP fleet DfT gives the annual charge, but in nominal terms at 2019 prices. This is pure obfuscation. As for Thameslink, DfT has ignored the charge question altogether and just repeated the NPV.

Trying not to sound too grand, this refusal to answer simple questions is an abuse of democracy. When others in the industry welcomed the formation of the Rail Executive as a breath of fresh air I remained doubtful. And these non-answers show that behind the outgoing façade, the old weasel mentality rules.

Anyway, while I was working up a new meta-analysis of definitive IEP costs, the mills of the NAO stopped grinding. Since my meeting, various chums had reported on-going discussions with the NAO and when I eventually checked the NAO website, I found that my intervention had led to a formal investigation into both the IEP and Thameslink rolling stock Private Finance Initiatives (PFI).

With luck, the report will be published just in time for the August Informed Sources. And, of course, the fact that DfT has now seen the NAO’s report might explain the latest attempts to cover up the costs, a further spur to an up-to-date analysis.

Or maybe I've misunderstood and there are potentially two separate IEP/NAO issues? Finance always confuses me.

Last edited:

CdBrux

Of course the fact that Hitachi are building a facory in the UK to make these trains, and have presumably done so on the 'expectation' of getting further business, has little to do with it. And of course those that complain on the process would never complain if the contract was awarded by the train service suppliers to a company who would build them abroad.

More seriously I do wonder if although DfT stated aim is to become more hands off in the process, their probably valid concern is that should something go wrong then they'll get the blame and hence they end up micro-managing to try to avoid this.

snowball

Established Member
From Roger Ford's latest monthly email preview (see my post above):

NAO cuts through DfT obfuscation

Last month’s blog left me hoping that publication of the National Audit Office report on DfT’s procurement of the Intercity Express Programme (IEP) and the Thameslink train fleet would frustrate the Department’s blatant attempts to conceal the costs of its two Private Finance Initiatives. And the NAO didn’t disappoint.

One of obfuscations in DfT’s written answers to Lord Berkeley was to pretend that they couldn’t give costs for IEP in 2013-14 prices. But the NAO has got the Present Values of annual charges for both IEP and Thameslink at 2014 prices. And the IEP figures are broken down for the three fleets – Great Western, East Coast and the IC225 replacement deal.

So I was now able reverse engineer the PVs, plus DfT’s quoted figures at Nominal prices based on service entry dates. And the correlation was well within experimental error – as we used to say when determining the value of ‘g’ in A-Level Physics.

On average, Super Express Train operators will be paying Agility Trains £64,000 per diagrammed vehicle per month. In 2012 a Class 390 Pendolino was costing Virgin £32,400/vehicle/month. Note that both IEP and the Class 390 fleet are total train service provision deals combining finance and maintenance.

East Coast is cheaper, thanks to economies of scale, plus less expensive financing, plus a 7.5% cost reduction by Agility on the IC225 replacement trains, plus a free upgrade to 140mile/h operation if and when the infrastructure is ready. Not for the first time in the NAO report I was reminded of double glazing sales tactics.

NAO critical of IEP monomania

Although I received an embargoed copy of the NAO report, plus a briefing at their offices in advance of publications, the column had to go to press next day. But when I had finished the cost analysis, plus a write-up for our news pages, there was still some time, and space, left. So I have highlighted two aspects of the procurement where the NAO was particularly critical of the IEP procurement team’s TINA philosophy.

Most recently there was the decision to impose IEP as the IC225 replacement rather than following DfT’s policy, first proclaimed in March 2012, is that it will leave future train procurement to industry’

According to the NAO, DfT considered that the Eversholt proposal for a re-engineered IC225 with new locomotives would be the option most likely to be chosen by the franchise bidders. Unsurprisingly, DfT’s analysis ‘suggested that the Agility option would provide slightly better long term value for money than the Eversholt proposal’. This was after the 7.5% cost reduction offered by Agility was taken into account plus the likely benefits that future ICEC operators would gain from a homogenous fleet.

NAO observes that this judgement ‘was sensitive to changes in the Department’s assumptions’. Note that ‘slightly better’! The report adds that DfT ‘took steps’ to explain to ROSCOs and train manufacturers its reasons for exercising the option. ‘However, the Department has not convinced parts of industry, which has led to questions about DfT’s commitment to its stated policy’. You can say that again.

In fact the underlying policy has not changed. To paraphrase Douglas Jay in 1937: ‘the gentleman in Whitehall really does know better what is good for the railways than the railways know themselves.’

Agility saves IEP

NAO’ second criticism centres on early 2010 and Sir Andrew Foster’s review of the IEP

Sir Andrew concluded that DfT had not adequately assessed all the credible alternatives to IEP, of which there were several. Such an assessment should be carried out before proceeding, he urged.

This put DfT in a quandary, because even its most skilled sophisters could not conceal the cost gap. But then Agility came to the rescue with a revised proposal; which reduced costs by a massive 38%. See what I mean about double glazing salesmen?

DfT told the NAO that had Agility not submitted the improved proposals it is ‘likely’ that IEP procurement would have had to be cancelled. Over to the NAO for what happened next.

Upon receipt of Agility Trains’ revised proposal, the Department carried out extensive analysis of the revised proposition. This considered, among other things, a range of alternatives including those suggested by Sir Andrew Foster, the costs and delay to benefits from reopening the procurement, analysis of the likelihood and impact of a legal challenge, and the Department’s view that another manufacturer would have been unlikely to produce a bid that could sufficiently close the gap with Agility Trains and offer better value for money’.

And so, in March 2011 procurement resumed on the basis of the radically revised SET offer – effectively a new train. NAO comments wearily that because the Department did not reopen the competition ‘and allow the other bidder (or anyone else) to submit further bids, the Department’s view remains untested’. Which misses the point that testing was unnecessary because the civil servants always knew that their pet train was the only way forward. And now we will be lashing out over half a billion pounds a year for the next 27.5 years.

WatcherZero

Established Member
So in the first year a new train costs more than one a decade and a half old and surprise surprise when the new factory and design costs are paid off by the initial order follow on orders are cheaper.

Leasing costs of the new Pendolino vehicles seperated from the old is around £50k last I heard.

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

What follow on orders? Until those follow on orders are confirmed and finalised it is an expensive white elephant.

I'd like them to expand fully on what long term costs these trains are meant to eradicate or reduce. Please enlighten us staff on your unshakeable plans...

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The basic 'idea' of IEP - 5-12 26m carriages, 230km/h, 25kV AC with option for bi-mode, etc - is the final form of the classic rail network InterCity train. If new trains are to be procured for the MML or long distance CrossCountry, either instead of or after getting cascaded IC225 sets, then they will most certainly have similar specifications. Hitachi would then be in an optimum position to sell these trains as most of the work had been done already, even if there were minor changes similar to how the Meridians are derived from the Voyagers. The full Euston rebuild options have all included 320m long platforms for possible 12 car (son of) IEP services along the WCML fast lines once tilt is no longer required and the Pendolinos are no longer sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.