• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Chaos (07/11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
Part of the Thameslink upgrades works was (in the original plan) to extends the OHLE to Tulse Hill. A rather random place tbh but even that minor extension was cut back to City only!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I heartily agree that the Sutton Loop & Wimbledon passengers are treated very much as the poor relations when it comes to FCC. I would point out; however, that if your Wimbledon train is cancelled at short notice there is the (less pleasant) option of a London bus to get you home. For passengers north of Elstree & Borehamwood, the alternatives are limited. Does the 84A bus still run from Barnet to St Albans?

I can't recall exactly the last de-wiring between St Pancras & Bedford, but we do have frequent power supply problems and signalling failures. I don't need to go over the chaos caused by the last heavy snowfalls and sub-zero temperatures which had a detrimental effect on rolling stock and infrastructure.

As I understand it, when the temperature drops significantly and there is a risk of points becoming frozen, Notwork Fail tends to default to leaving the tracks set to accommodate East Midlands Trains into & out of St Pancras HL. This precludes FCC from getting any of its trains onto the fast lines north of Kentish Town and it defaults to a half-hourly all-stations service to Bedford.

This isn't really satisfactory.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think (and we all hope) - that there are better contingency plans being put into place for such events.

During the gauge corner cracking shambles , St Albans enjoyed a split service from Moorgate to the north of 10 tph all stations on the slow lines for several months (as the fast lines were most affected , and TLK abandoned them to MML) - whilst it was fairy tedious to say the least , it provided a decent quantum of service for that period. The penny , I hope, has been dropped re the need to serve north of Elstree with a reasonable service level - the bare minimum in my estimation being 6 tph - and frankly the "inners" can be basically dropped as there are other options , as mentioned before.

Ironically - a self contained Blackfriars based loop has reliabilty benefits... though not meeting the peak requirement to get north of City Thameslink etc.

In difficult times , there are difficult strategies.

Class377/5

Established Member
I heartily agree that the Sutton Loop & Wimbledon passengers are treated very much as the poor relations when it comes to FCC. I would point out; however, that if your Wimbledon train is cancelled at short notice there is the (less pleasant) option of a London bus to get you home. For passengers north of Elstree & Borehamwood, the alternatives are limited. Does the 84A bus still run from Barnet to St Albans?

I can't recall exactly the last de-wiring between St Pancras & Bedford, but we do have frequent power supply problems and signalling failures. I don't need to go over the chaos caused by the last heavy snowfalls and sub-zero temperatures which had a detrimental effect on rolling stock and infrastructure.

As I understand it, when the temperature drops significantly and there is a risk of points becoming frozen, Notwork Fail tends to default to leaving the tracks set to accommodate East Midlands Trains into & out of St Pancras HL. This precludes FCC from getting any of its trains onto the fast lines north of Kentish Town and it defaults to a half-hourly all-stations service to Bedford.

This isn't really satisfactory.

There is still a bus from Barnet to St Albans as I saw one on Sunday. Don't know the number tho.

Bedpan

Established Member
Here we go again!! Two of the first three trains through the core after the weekend, the 04.14 and 04.52 departures from Harpenden are cancelled due to signalling problems although it looks like this time they are down in Sussex.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sored out quickly this time though.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
While 25kV may be the "future", ripping up perfectly functional electrification equipment to replace it with other equipment seems like a rather insane waste of resources.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
More problems tonight - appears to be slow lines to Radlett then back over to the fast , seemed to be trouble this am today. Not doing well performance wise due to various track and signalling issues. Delayed 20 coming home.

Not a good day all round actually UK wise.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
More problems tonight - appears to be slow lines to Radlett then back over to the fast , seemed to be trouble this am today. Not doing well performance wise due to various track and signalling issues. Delayed 20 coming home.

Points failure W Hampstead.

It did lead to the rare pleasure of being on a 319 on the Down Fast overhauling a Meridian on the Down Slow near Elstree, both at line speed !

Class377/5

Established Member

Points failure W Hampstead.

It did lead to the rare pleasure of being on a 319 on the Down Fast overhauling a Meridian on the Down Slow near Elstree, both at line speed !

Multiple points failures on the MML at the same time at the start of peak meant both slows and fasts were blocked at different points.

Minstral25

Established Member
Multiple points failures on the MML at the same time at the start of peak meant both slows and fasts were blocked at different points.

Lot's of hanging about at City Thameslink this evening - waited for 15 minutes and no trains either way which is very unusual. That's after this mornings train missing its paths because it was trying to squeeze 8 coaches of passengers into 4 and ending up 20 minutes late - really appreciated the one day it all worked well last week :lol:

Class377/5

Established Member
Lot's of hanging about at City Thameslink this evening - waited for 15 minutes and no trains either way which is very unusual. That's after this mornings train missing its paths because it was trying to squeeze 8 coaches of passengers into 4 and ending up 20 minutes late - really appreciated the one day it all worked well last week :lol:

Wasn't helped by signalling problems at Preston Park either. Bad day tho yesterday wasn't too bad.

Seems there has been mega issues on the route lately. Hope it calms down.

Status
Not open for further replies.