• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 319's into storage/withdrawals tracker

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How can 12/87 be the correct date if Thameslink didn't exist open 5/88?

They ran Bedford-St Pancras/Moorgate services from December 1987 before what we know know as the Core opened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class455

Established Member
To Class455: Is your list comprehensive and up to date? Where would I find it?

Yes it is. I don't believe you'd find it anywhere else other than on page 1 unless someone has copied it and posted it elsewhere, and to my knowledge that isn't the case. If you're asking what sources I use to find out which units have gone for store, the answer is either someone puts it down here and I update the list, use the TOPS request thread or I search Flickr of pictures of Class 319's or 37884 taken on the day of the move and see which units went, then update the list.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Yes it is. I don't believe you'd find it anywhere else other than on page 1 unless someone has copied it and posted it elsewhere, and to my knowledge that isn't the case. If you're asking what sources I use to find out which units have gone for store, the answer is either someone puts it down here and I update the list, use the TOPS request thread or I search Flickr of pictures of Class 319's or 37884 taken on the day of the move and see which units went, then update the list.

I saw that but there are no dates as to when units went for store? I'm sure I am missing lots...

Class455

Established Member
I saw that but there are no dates as to when units went for store? I'm sure I am missing lots...

Oh right. Well I do have some of the dates logged in Today's Railways and can look at Flickr, I even went out and spotted one myself, but I never really saw those as "significant" since the 319's were all going anyway, but if others would prefer the dates of when each unit were sent for store added then I'd be more than happy to do so, but I would need some help to get dates for the ones sent to Wolverton, as these moved in the early mornings and didnt require a loco to take them..

fusionblue

Is there any particular reason why Thameslink isn't running (or decided not to run) extra trains via the catford loop to Sevenoaks for this week because of the London Bridge works?

It's not like there is an entire batch of 319's available to use for 4 days..

physics34

Established Member
Is there any particular reason why Thameslink isn't running (or decided not to run) extra trains via the catford loop to Sevenoaks for this week because of the London Bridge works?

No spare slots? No spare drivers?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member

Why would/should they? I'm sure Sevenoaks pax are well catered for anyway by SE, not to mention the fact that TL Sevenoaks trains don't even serve London Bridge

And yes, as physics34 said, where are the trains, slots and drivers?

I understand two of the six remaining 319s were hauled away yesterday and the other 4 going this week so you can't just "undo" the plan and put them back into service. And 319.440 had a traction issue so it probably doesn't work anyway

I understand two of the six remaining 319s were hauled away yesterday and the other 4 going this week so you can't just "undo" the plan and put them back into service. And 319.440 had a traction issue so it probably doesn't work anyway

319426 & 432 yesterday, the other four are due to move tomorrow and thursday I gather.

fusionblue

Why would/should they? I'm sure Sevenoaks pax are well catered for anyway by SE, not to mention the fact that TL Sevenoaks trains don't even serve London Bridge

And yes, as physics34 said, where are the trains, slots and drivers?

I didn't mean undo it now, as its naturally too late to do anything, i mean why wasn't there advance planning to accommodate this from months ago. It's only 4 extra days on a route which is known to be underutilised with trains which are now retired. And it isn't so much about pax from Sevenoaks but from the catford loop who would be displaced from the hayes line and elsewhere because of the work going on at London Bridge.

LA50041

Established Member
I didn't mean undo it now, as its naturally too late to do anything, i mean why wasn't there advance planning to accommodate this from months ago. It's only 4 extra days on a route which is known to be underutilised with trains which are now retired. And it isn't so much about pax from Sevenoaks but from the catford loop who would be displaced from the hayes line and elsewhere because of the work going on at London Bridge.

Theres no paths, especially not for another stopper. you already have the SE services from Hastings/Ramsgate/Tunbridge Wells diverted into Waterloo/Victoria etc as well as the existing services.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member

Probably lack of available paths. The Catford loop has at present 2 x stopping TL trains per hour and the Dover Priory stoppers along with some freight paths. I'm not sure if some of the Ashford or Canterbury West stoppers go down there too. I thought I heard somewhere that the Sevenoaks (via Catford) was to be increased to 4tph but it was only a rumour. Not sure how an extra 2 stopping trains would be accommodated but obviously, the planners will know best

And of course, the Catford loop has always been a good diversionary route should anything break down on the direct Bromley line

Not always obvious when someone's being sarcastic on this forum, as I'm sure you've realised!

I don't know the impression you're doing, I must admit. I am slowly becoming a Euro crank, something else you'll be noticing in my trip report thread if you're reading it!

Absolutely!

You referred to "Eurocranking" which I like to refer to as "Eurotrashing"! In homage to Eurotrash which was on channel 4 in UK for almost twenty years hosted by two crazy Frenchmen, Antoine de Caunes and Jean-Paul Gaultier! :)
Have a look on youtube and I'm sure you'll remember them. They hosted a one off "Brexit Special" on the eve of the referendum last year.
Eurotrash was le best! :lol:

Oh, of course. I forgot about your Praha trip, have a good time? If the report is up I will go and check that out now for sure!
For a future Eurobashing -(or trashing! ?????? ), I heartily recommend that you get over to France sooner rather than later to sample the last of the classique SNCF Nez Cassés BB electrics and Corails before they all go, the very last big diesel, CC 72100 was sadly withdrawn from service on ligne 4 (Paris Est-Belfort) yesterday to make way for the new Alstom plastic junk.. But fear not as there is PLENTY more other bad-ass old locos and stock to be had all over the country -at least for now anyway.. Check out my SNCF loco hauled thread over on le internationaux section for essential trip planning gen! :)

Anyway, I am yet again off topic! Desolé mods!! :oops:

Last edited:

Class319&373

Here are some photos from yesterday (28/08/17) of 319 217 'Brighton' & 319 435 final move from Bedford Carriage Sidings to Bedford Cauldwell Depot. Next time I'll see them is when they are hooked to the ROG Class 37 :(

Attachments

• 2017-08-29 (14).jpg
    2017-08-29 (14).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2017-08-29 (13).jpg
    2017-08-29 (13).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 2017-08-29 (12).jpg
    2017-08-29 (12).jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 2017-08-29 (11).jpg
    2017-08-29 (11).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 2017-08-29 (10).jpg
    2017-08-29 (10).jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 98

Class319&373

That's it, 440 & 443 gone... its truly goodbye to the Class 319 now :(

Last edited:

Class455

Established Member

Have updated the list. A very sad day indeed. No more Class 319's left on Thameslink soil. The closest within London you can find them now is on the St Albans Abbey branch and a few London Euston peak trains at London Midland, but these are not going to last too long as LM want to replace their 319's.

I would imagine 319005 and 319427 would be moved to Long Marston in the next few weeks unless these are for ATW.

Last edited:

Out of curiosity does anyone know the storage capacity of Long Marston?

A quick sum;
45 * 0.0199*4 * 0.62137 = 2.225 track miles of 319 vehicles currently stored in there

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member

A quick sum;
45 * 0.0199*4 * 0.62137 = 2.225 track miles of 319 vehicles currently stored in there

funnily enough ive just been looking at Long Marston on Google Earth..... doesnt look like a huge place.

Class455

Established Member

A quick sum;

I was wondering this myself. Maybe the off lease 455's will be having to go there once they finish with SWR

Class455

Established Member
Are those the 46 green ones with Govia Thameslink Railway that you are referring to?

No the ones which are currently at SWR . These will go off lease when the Aventras arrived whereas the GTR 455's should be gone by 2023