• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble19

Established Member
What an absolute mess, I will never understand why the cretins that do this feel the need to, it looks horrendous. Hopefully they get caught and a suitable punishment dished out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
What an absolute mess, I will never understand why the cretins that do this feel the need to, it looks horrendous. Hopefully they get caught and a suitable punishment dished out.

Punishments are derisory and every day I am seeing more graffiti inside and out, plus more etching.

GTR generally do not now hold trains (or stop additionally) for comfort breaks. Although SWR is also a busy network, GTR are simply dealing with equal network constraints in a different way - it can be impractical to delay services heading towards the East Croydon/West Croydon/TL Core corridors if there is a staffed station where people can use the facilities.

I believe the gangways are actually locked out of use due to inherent flaws with the internal “second-man’s side” gangway door mechanisms - a design which Bombardier had about a decade to get feedback on (via repeated feedback from Electrostar crews) and then correct, but they didn’t.

On services expected to run without a rostered second member of crew, which applies to the vast majority of 387s at some point during their journeys, there isn’t anybody to check the doors are safe and secure during transit. So the main cab door (the other one, which is rather more robust) is locked at each end of the corridor connection.

There is barely any extra time taken to set up the gangway doors in the corridor connection positions - about 20 seconds on 387s, especially because one of the steps for securing the doors is actually removed on the newer variants of Electrostars!

Not always. There were originally a select few which did operate via London Bridge.

That is understandable however I remember the 387s working Thameslink Bedford-Brighton and they still run routinely on Gatwick Express as DOO (not all services are rostered an OBS) and the newer 10 car 377s run on the Southern Metro without a second person on Board and yes they do have the dodgy locks. Find that unbelievable really and if it’s so much of an issue Bombardier should be required to remedy it.

Skimble19

Established Member
Punishments are derisory and every day I am seeing more graffiti inside and out, plus more etching.
Yes I must admit I've noticed a lot more of both lately, mainly seems to be confined to 313s and 365s though..... perhaps there's a theme of what Hornsey are prioritising (i.e not what's leaving!)...

RichJF

Yes I must admit I've noticed a lot more of both lately, mainly seems to be confined to 313s and 365s though..... perhaps there's a theme of what Hornsey are prioritising (i.e not what's leaving!)...

There was a 700 with small black graffiti above the bogies/bottom of bodyshell. Too quick for me which unit to see but was there. Also an entire rear 377 carriage covered below the windows today if it's anything to go by.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member

Yes, 313s are worst hit. At Hertford apparently.

Bromley boy

Established Member
700 in hove yard. Don't know the number
27972687_10155298555812057_8625670327172931699_n.jpg

Now that is truly shocking. And of course the train would not be able to run in service in that condition so would lead to cancellations and huge inconvenience, in addition to cleaning costs.

We do seem to be seeing more and more of this around the south east. The SE metro fleet is now regularly very badly graffitied.

I wonder what’s caused the recent rise in attacks?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Now that is truly shocking. And of course the train would not be able to run in service in that condition so would lead to cancellations and huge inconvenience, in addition to cleaning costs.

We do seem to be seeing more and more of this around the south east. The SE metro fleet is now regularly very badly graffitied.

While I don't think there's a direct connection, the anti social behaviour problem that is concentrated around Welwyn Garden City (but extends to Hatfield and up to Stevenage and surrounds) seems to be down to the police having a policy of not getting involved with things unless 'there's blood' (their quote, not mine). We know prisons are full, so the police are probably pressured to try other methods to deal with things like this. Methods that, in my experience, seem to be to just tell people to move on.

I get the argument that if you jail someone for what some will consider a minor offence, they begin to enter a new world of serious crime, but we now seem desperate not to do anything to people who continue to push the boundaries.

I can't comment for London and other places, but assume the same applies. Maybe the police are swamped with dealing with knife crimes, acid attacks and terrorism to be that bothered.

Yet the industry needs to protect its own assets. In the case of Hertford, I'm told Network Rail had been told a few times of ladders left around and hadn't moved them.

theironroad

Established Member

I'm not sure if half term has much to do with it, though it is half term this week which does see a rise in incidents on the railway. However, this is pretty professional high scale graffiti, so probably a bit more organized. Maybe new trains are seen as a challenge.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if half term has much to do with it, though it is half term this week which does see a rise in incidents on the railway. However, this is pretty professional high scale graffiti, so probably a bit more organized. Maybe new trains are seen as a challenge.

It's been happening before half term.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

The unit in Hove Yard is not stabled for service - so this particular incident has not led to a cancellation.

There have been units in service with reasonably significant graffiti which have been in Brighton Down Yard overnight. With 700s, you can't short form to leave the damaged unit behind.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The unit in Hove Yard is not stabled for service - so this particular incident has not led to a cancellation.

There have been units in service with reasonably significant graffiti which have been in Brighton Down Yard overnight. With 700s, you can't short form to leave the damaged unit behind.
Says a lot about the security at the depots worse affected. The vermin involved could have just as easily been a terrorist attaching a device.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
For the Graffiti, since these trains are not going to change livery really no matter who runs them because it's a generic livery, could they not just have made them use anti graffiti paint out of the factory like the 360s have on Greater Anglia?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Not 700126 by any chance? Forgot it was half term...

It won't be 700126 as that moved from Hove Yard last week and has been in service since Saturday.

Just 700136 outstanding to carry passengers from the 30 phase 5 units now.

Anyone keen on riding 700s for haulage should now have 92 units ticked off and be looking for 700049 and 700051 on the GN next week.

RichJF

700's were down the East Grinstead line again today on driving training/testing. No idea which unit(s). Peak London Bridge services on the line go over to 700's in May as far as I'm aware.

MML

Let the punishment fit the crime. No need to lock up Graffiti 'artists' in already overflowing prisons.
Just erect a set of stocks on the platform and let the waiting commuters have a go with a spray can on the imprisoned and guilty individual. I'm sure they'd appreciate our 'artwork'.

ScotGG

Established Member
Police numbers have been decimated. I doubt they have time to look into this kind of thing. 30k down across the country. London alone has lost 600+ in less than a year. The announcement of 1-2k more wont mean much bu the time they're trained.

That's if they can get applicants. Starting wages cut, cost of living in London ever more expensive and pay capped at 1% rises.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
How many 700s have now been completed? Now that the 707 production is basically finished, will 717 production be ramped up?

RichardKing

700s also on test on the Eastbourne route today (and yesterday). There's already a 700/1 berthed in Eastbourne Sidings, but I'm not sure why they'd be doing driver training on this particular route...are there any plans for TL to widen their wings to this route?

jon0844

Veteran Member
700s also on test on the Eastbourne route today (and yesterday). There's already a 700/1 berthed in Eastbourne Sidings, but I'm not sure why they'd be doing driver training on this particular route...are there any plans for TL to widen their wings to this route?

I saw that when taking the scenic route to Brighton (via Ashford) because of engineering work. 700s seem to be all over!

physics34

Established Member

Rumours they are yes. Could be the Eastbourne to London Bridge peak services....

the more Thameslink take over, the less OBS's are required

RichardKing

I saw that when taking the scenic route to Brighton (via Ashford) because of engineering work. 700s seem to be all over!
Agreed!
Rumours they are yes. Could be the Eastbourne to London Bridge peak services....

the more Thameslink take over, the less OBS's are required
That would free up 3x377s, but, at the same time, would put even more pressure upon the NHS with an increase in back problems!
All joking aside, I reckon this is definitely part of GTR's plan to get around the ASLEF deal. I look forward to being looked after by the passenger hosts!

Fincra5

Established Member
Could it not just be swapping the unit from EBN? They need running every X amount of days out of traffic.

RichardKing

Could it not just be swapping the unit from EBN? They need running every X amount of days out of traffic.

No - there was just one unit (a 700/0, I believe) running back a forth between Three Bridges Depot and Eastbourne - without touching the sidings - throughout yesterday and today (ending at Three Bridges).
Here's today's diagrams:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X98627/2018/02/18/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X98628/2018/02/18/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X98629/2018/02/18/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X98630/2018/02/18/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X98631/2018/02/18/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X98632/2018/02/18/advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.