• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark001uk

Established Member
700 in hove yard. Don't know the number
27972687_10155298555812057_8625670327172931699_n.jpg
I hope I'm not being too irate here, but I'd like to spray a few colours all over their face, and say "Oh I'm sorry, I thought I was making you look better".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Few observations, been on a few new entries with SBTs today, notably 143, which is sporting what appears to be new PIS software.
I like the better pictorial see/say/sort infomercial, more attention grabbing, though not quite sure what it's meant to be depicting.
Nice added pictorial of coach number, was wondering when that would be added.
Not sure about the big black background clock splodged over the two tone blue on the small screen, they could've just done away with the blue. But to be fair it's probably more readable from a distance anyway, so a welcome addition.

notverydeep

I too have noticed a rise in graffiti/vandalism in the past month.

Me too on GN also. There is only one way to keep this problem under control. Don't put trains with an overnight repaint into service - ever! If graffiti vandal's efforts are seen widely, their profile amongst their peers increases (which is their motivation). Deny them this profile and most conclude that it isn't worth the effort. While this does mean short term passenger pain, without their 'tag' getting a wide audience, the vandals loose interest and move on - and the cancellations can stop. Seeing trains in this condition regularly on the other hand dramatically reduces passengers' sense of security and hence satisfaction - and only puts off the evil day when cancellations become the only way of preventing the issue escalating. We (the operator for whom I work) try to avoid our passengers seeing this sort of thing on our services if at all possible, including incurring a cancellation if necessary - very definitely, the lesser of two evils.

class387

Established Member
Me too on GN also. There is only one way to keep this problem under control. Don't put trains with an overnight repaint into service - ever! If graffiti vandal's efforts are seen widely, their profile amongst their peers increases (which is their motivation). Deny them this profile and most conclude that it isn't worth the effort. While this does mean short term passenger pain, without their 'tag' getting a wide audience, the vandals loose interest and move on - and the cancellations can stop. Seeing trains in this condition regularly on the other hand dramatically reduces passengers' sense of security and hence satisfaction - and only puts off the evil day when cancellations become the only way of preventing the issue escalating. We (the operator for whom I work) try to avoid our passengers seeing this sort of thing on our services if at all possible, including incurring a cancellation if necessary - very definitely, the lesser of two evils.
I also disapprove of the paint remover used to remove graffiti on 313s. Not much better than leaving it on in my opinion.

notverydeep

I also disapprove of the paint remover used to remove graffiti on 313s. Not much better than leaving it on in my opinion.

You're not wrong about the 313s, very scruffy. For the strategy to work, you do eventually need to make good the vinyls or repaint!

class387

Established Member
Just got off 2T22 as my first GN 700. I managed to make my school friend (with no interest in railways) wait an extra 20 minutes with me to get this train. He isn't happy with me. We sat in the declassified first class, off which he said was "too stiff, too hard and terrible for posture". This is also someone who has never complained about 313s in winter with no heating.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just got off 2T22 as my first GN 700. I managed to make my school friend (with no interest in railways) wait an extra 20 minutes with me to get this train. He isn't happy with me. We sat in the declassified first class, off which he said was "too stiff, too hard and terrible for posture". This is also someone who has never complained about 313s in winter with no heating.

Which train was this? Could you elebrate please? It is normally easier to put the time and boarding point. ;) - remember the forum rules. Don’t use jargon without explaining it first. That includes headcodes which mean nothing to many.

class387

Established Member
Which train was this? Could you elebrate please? It is normally easier to put the time and boarding point. ;) - remember the forum rules. Don’t use jargon without explaining it first. That includes headcodes which mean nothing to many.
1605 Kings Cross to Cambridge North, travelled from Potters Bar to Hatfield.

But my point was my friend's opinion of the train - even secondary schoolkids are unhappy about them now...

Failed Unit

Established Member

But my point was my friend's opinion of the train - even secondary schoolkids are unhappy about them now...

Interesting for that particular train. It is one of the few that is actually getting its capability increased. (Normally a 4 Car) so I would expect the 700s to be welcomed on it. Not too crowded etc.

class387

Established Member
Interesting for that particular train. It is one of the few that is actually getting its capability increased. (Normally a 4 Car) so I would expect the 700s to be welcomed on it. Not too crowded etc.
I welcome it, though the rear four coaches were full anyway. He hates the first class seats.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
essentially, this is the policy. Units don't enter service with graffiti. However sometimes the graffiti is not spotted before the train enters service; it's dark, the graffiti is the other end / side of the train etc. However I have personally called in two units that have been in service with graffiti and they have been taken out at the next opportunity. (Sorry of your train was cancelled).

Incidentally, I'm told on the grapevine that a few people in Brighton had an interesting chat on this subject with BTP early this morning. No biscuits one presumes.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I believe so.

Also interesting to note that these services should appear on journey planners between BFR-LBG (they're now scheduled stops)
The Peterborough to Horsham one comes up as a 'direct' option if you put Finsbury Park to Horsham in the Journey Planner on the National Rail Enquiries app 8-)

ungreat

I was your driver......

tsr

Established Member
Incidentally, I'm told on the grapevine that a few people in Brighton had an interesting chat on this subject with BTP early this morning. No biscuits one presumes.

Quite so, your honour. Some good vigilance by the staff concerned and a good turnout by BTP.

And yes, I expect not, unless you can eat biscuits whilst wearing handcuffs...

RichJF

9J52 (Horsham - Peterborough) has just gone through the Canal Tunnels if anyone is interested!horsham.jpg

MML

New PIS software installed on 700140 this morning. A clock showing date and time which is nice. An additional diagram giving coach 1 of 12 etc. And a rather menacing graphic for the We'll sort it. Thankfully the audio of we'll sort it has only come on once. I like the clock addition.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
New PIS software installed on 700140 this morning. A clock showing date and time which is nice. An additional diagram giving coach 1 of 12 etc. And a rather menacing graphic for the We'll sort it. Thankfully the audio of we'll sort it has only come on once. I like the clock addition.

This was already in place on the 700/0s that went into service on the GN last week.

TFN

Same on the evening train I took yesterday and this morning on my commute into uni. I heard enoticed that the audio announcement for the “See it, say it, sorted” is always xx:25 and xx:55 every hour, and will play even if an announcement for a station is made.

MML

And credit to the driver, even an announcement in French for passengers disembarking at Gatwick. Well done that man.

Spamcan81

Took my first 700 trip on Monday from Arlesey to East Croydon. Jeez those seats are uncomfortable. Bum numb by WGC and the upright design did my back no favours either. Registered for the wifi, got the welcome message and then just an Error 403 - forbidden when using my web browser and Facebook, BBC news and Sky News apps would connect either. Impressed with the service bit not impressed at all with the seating nor the on board wifi. The free cakes were nice though. :)

D365

Veteran Member
9J52 (Horsham - Peterborough) has just gone through the Canal Tunnels if anyone is interested!

I’m on the opposite service today, starting at PBO. 8 mins late at HUN, presumably weather-related.

Didn’t catch the unit number, but I’m quite concerned about this...

D8A8B9D9-4B78-4AD1-A8DE-4301E620E928.jpeg

[Photo of Class 700 internal PIS screens, left showing CCTV icon, right showing toilet locations]

Status
Not open for further replies.