• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class315

Today's offering from 6X70 delivery run 0349 Dollands Moor - Ferme Park is 700148 being hauled through Finsbury Park 104E a few minutes ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SAPhil

Nothing really new here but as it was an opinion from someone who doesn't frequent this board, I thought I'd mention it!
A colleague of mine who commutes in from Hitchen, asked me today "You use Thameslink - do you find the seats very uncomfortable?"
He's not happy!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
So how many more units left until the deliveries stop?

I think the current situation is

Used in service 700001-58/101-45/9
Delivered 700148/51/2
Still to come 700146/7/50/3-5 then 700059/60

Therefore 104 used in service, 3 being commissioned, 8 left to be delivered.

APUK002

I think the current situation is

Used in service 700001-58/101-45/9
Delivered 700148/51/2
Still to come 700146/7/50/3-5 then 700059/60

Therefore 104 used in service, 3 being commissioned, 8 left to be delivered.
Ooo,not long.

Class315

Today's offering on 6X70 delivery run 0349 Dollands Moor - Ferme Park rec. lane passing Finsbury Park 77E is 700147.

Howardh

Established Member

Geoff's found himself clearly in first class, which is why I raise the point - it must be the worst "first class" carriage I've ever seen. Seating 2 x 2 - therefore I assume standard is at least 1x2 and 1x3. So if anyone now has experience of these trains, what do you get in first class that's worth the extra?

Are there other examples of 2x2 first-class carriages in the country?

Agent_Squash

Established Member

Geoff's found himself clearly in first class, which is why I raise the point - it must be the worst "first class" carriage I've ever seen. Seating 2 x 2 - therefore I assume standard is at least 1x2 and 1x3. So if anyone now has experience of these trains, what do you get in first class that's worth the extra?

Most commuter railways operate with 2+2 first class - Southern, Southeastern, SWR, LNWR, and GN are just a few.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Standard is 2x2 and with massive aisles so people can pass each other with ease. First class has slightly less room but is still spacious.

You get proper tables and power sockets and that's about it, but as I'm sure you know the idea is you have a greater chance of a seat when paying more. That's what first class offers and little else.

Howardh

Established Member
Standard is 2x2 and with massive aisles so people can pass each other with ease. First class has slightly less room but is still spacious.

You get proper tables and power sockets and that's about it, but as I'm sure you know the idea is you have a greater chance of a seat when paying more. That's what first class offers and little else.
I thought of that, getting a seat guaranteed, but in rush hour is that really the case? In other words, does first-class come with a seat marked, and suppose it's an any time ticket so you don't know which train you will be on? Also, if you have bought 1st to hope t get a seat, it's a bit of a waste if you don't!

I suppose there aren't any regulations/laws as to what defines "first class" and I suppose it would vary between short and long journeys. But back to my OP, that looks no better/different than the standard class we get round my parts.

Clip

Established Member
Like a lot of first class down south then.

There are one or 2 single seats in it though

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Try first class on a Class 387, the only difference is an extra piece of fabric stuck to the seat! As mentioned above, on commuter routes it's more about increasing one's chances of getting a seat (or having more standing room if you don't!).

Howardh

Established Member
Up here years and years ago when we had those bouncy, bouncy units they were 2x2 in 1st and 2x3 in standard, but eventually they officially declassified 1st but kept the seating the same, so first on got the larger seats. As far as I can - there were no other extras for 1st.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A picture of standard class for your reference
39969803991_5f0ca252ef_b.jpg
(Not my photo)

In all fairness the First Class area on a 700 is better than standard class (you get tables, plug sockets, armrests and a better seat), compared to something like First Class on a 375/6 where like the 387s all you get is an extra piece of fabric.

Howardh

Established Member
A picture of standard class for your reference
(Not my photo)

In all fairness the First Class area on a 700 is better than standard class (you get tables, plug sockets, armrests and a better seat), compared to something like First Class on a 375/6 where like the 387s all you get is an extra piece of fabric.
Thanks for that....hmmm, those look tiny seats in standard. Presume they want to make more standing room inbetween them increasing capacity, wonder if a standing-only carriage would have been better? Wouldn't like a long journey, they look more like ironing-boards than seats! And if someone buys a 1st for a table and finds all the seats taken, then what?
On the plus side they look easy to clean. So, no excuses then!

Well compared with standard on these trains, first class is a lot better, even after a relatively short journey (40 mins) on one it already started to hurt, while having done the same journey into London in First I was fine. The real problem is that there should not be First class at all, especially given the size of the cabins on the 700s. It's fine for intercity journeys, but most times I've been travelling, at least on Great Northern, you find First Class completely empty.

cambsy

On Moderation
Don’t forget the declassified first lass section on all Thameslink trains, which I have used several times. So no point buying a first class ticket, and with the level of first class comfort and not being much different to standard, I wouldn’t pay first class on train in the South East.

transmanche

Established Member
The real problem is that there should not be First class at all, especially given the size of the cabins on the 700s. It's fine for intercity journeys, but most times I've been travelling, at least on Great Northern, you find First Class completely empty.
Are you aware that on the 700s the first class accommodation at the rear of the unit is routinely declassified? So whilst it may appear that there is too much first class accommodation, only half of it is reserved for first class ticket holders at any one time.

Are you aware that on the 700s the first class accommodation at the rear of the unit is routinely declassified? So whilst it may appear that there is too much first class accommodation, only half of it is reserved for first class ticket holders at any one time.

Yes that is how I experienced it for myself, but I had to do some detective work to find out that it was, it is not advertised anywhere (don't get me wrong it should not be advertised anywhere ;)) but most people will not go in the rear section, and still only one or two legitimate first class ticket holders on the train.

transmanche

Established Member
Yes that is how I experienced it for myself, but I had to do some detective work to find out that it was, it is not advertised anywhere (don't get me wrong it should not be advertised anywhere ;)) but most people will not go in the rear section, and still only one or two legitimate first class ticket holders on the train.
The declassified section should be clearly advertised on-board.

Class 700 LED Display Board 7 by UK Railway and Road Transport, on Flickr

All Line Rover

Established Member
it was recently highlighted in both the... Evening Standard.

Yeah - with a photo of a Class 387! [EDIT: For the benefit of those with limited, err... Someone with no interest in the railways might care about this if they board the rear first class compartment of such a train in the mistaken belief it is declassified, only to receive a penalty fare (or worse).]

most times I've been travelling, at least on Great Northern, you find First Class completely empty.

Whenever I've boarded a Thameslink service at East Croydon in the morning peak, the leading first class compartment has been full and standing - just as crowded as the rest of the train.

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
Where else would one expect it to be shown?

A standard class passenger who wasn’t “in the know” wouldn’t enter the first class area and would therefore never see the sign. Not everyone reads TOC tweets.

An announcement would be more logical (but highly unlikely on a DOO train).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Regulars know about the secret (you see it at Blackfriars when commuters know the best place to stand to access the rear area).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed but that is only displayed in the (door-segregated) first class area itself.
It also doesn’t appear to appear at all when in the ‘core,’ and only appears once in a rotation of the messages

Bromley boy

Established Member
Again, so? I'm not sure what the problem is?

The only sign saying a first class area is declassified is located in the area itself and barely visible to anyone outside it (it’s above eyeline for someone standing in the vestibule). Said area is only accessible through a closed door.

What do you think the problem might be?

transmanche

Established Member
The only sign saying a first class area is declassified is located in the area itself and barely visible to anyone outside it
Is that unusual when first class is declassified? In fact, there are many situations when first class is declassified and there is no notification of any kind on board.
What do you think the problem might be?
I don't see a problem. First class is declassified and is advertised as such in the relevant area on board. The TOC has publicised it and it's even been picked up by multiple media sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.