• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Which is absolutely nonsense as anyone who USES the service in the peak will tell you.
They aren't fitted as standard. Fitting the few was to buy off a commuter pressure group's complaints. There wasn't any follow-up and the problem seems to have gone away now. When the 24 tph service is running, the difference with and without tables may become apparent. The fact that users now claim the tables don't affect dwells is that there is some slack in the core timings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
They aren't fitted as standard. Fitting the few was to buy off a commuter pressure group's complaints. There wasn't any follow-up and the problem seems to have gone away now. When the 24 tph service is running, the difference with and without tables may become apparent. The fact that users now claim the tables don't affect dwells is that there is some slack in the core timings.
I hope we see 24tph one day. :) it would be nice to for my area to see a benefit to all the disruption and having the class 700 forced on us. :(
However I strongly suspect people trying to get baggage down will impact dwells more than tables (which have being on decent trains since the 1990s) will have.

MML

Most regular commuters get out of their seat and are stood by the door long before the train pulls into the platform.
The PIS also alerts those unfamiliar with the station stops in advance of the impending arrival.
The only people who aren't prepared are the oddball scatty individuals who are so disorganized they are still pulling their bags from the overhead bins to disembarked as passengers are boarding.
To be honest, that's the way they choose to live their life, and regular commuters should not be deprived of seat back tables due to their chaotic lifestyle. Better still if they chose to travel off-peak and do us all a favour.

Rather than the expense of fitting wifi which is of poor quality, it would be better if the gaps in 4g coverage were plugged lineside. 4g offers far better service when it is available.

There are however occasions when a particular individual who has been conversing in a loud voice for what seems like hours has been forced to halt their inane drivel due to loss of cellular contact. Never has slowly trundling through the Core been so welcome.

Aictos

Established Member
Which is absolutely nonsense as anyone who USES the service in the peak will tell you.

I disagree and to argue that I don't use the services in the peak, how do you KNOW that?

Exactly, the only reason why tables don't affect dwell times as much as they could do is because of the slack in the core timings.

Besides the vast majority of passengers are already by the doors waiting to get off even as the train in question is just leaving the previous station as I see every day!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I disagree and to argue that I don't use the services in the peak, how do you KNOW that?

Exactly, the only reason why tables don't affect dwell times as much as they could do is because of the slack in the core timings.

Besides the vast majority of passengers are already by the doors waiting to get off even as the train in question is just leaving the previous station as I see every day!

because you have said so in the past. ;). Normally in response to when I challenge you in things like “no-one uses the middle seat on stock with 3+2 seating.” But if you did use the service regularly in the peak you would personally witness that dwell times are the same if the trains has tables or not. You shall also see that a large number of said table are used. On approach to departure most people tidy up and fold the table. They don’t when the train stops think best get up now. Oh dear a table is in my way.

but your last point is actually agreeing that this will make no difference to dwell times. It is the passenger that refuses to sit by the window that will have a bigger impact on dwell times. Or the one who insists that then must have their bag on the seat. Seat back tables don’t and haven’t for the 30+ years they are on trains.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

There isn’t any slack in the core timings now. 9 mins from arriving Blackfriars to departing St P including 4 minutes dwell and the power changeover. And vice versa.

samuelmorris

Established Member
There isn’t any slack in the core timings now. 9 mins from arriving Blackfriars to departing St P including 4 minutes dwell and the power changeover. And vice versa.
Isn't that still technically slack? From memory typical running times between those stations with 30s dwells at each would be 7m30, rather than 9 minutes, so they must still be using 1 minute dwells (probably fair enough at St Pancras) or slightly loose timings still.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Isn't that still technically slack? From memory typical running times between those stations with 30s dwells at each would be 7m30, rather than 9 minutes, so they must still be using 1 minute dwells (probably fair enough at St Pancras) or slightly loose timings still.

Dwells are timed for 1 minute. And they need it, certainly in the peak.

Bear in mind that until last May, the peak core transit time was 12 minutes.

Class455

Established Member
It's been a bad day on the Thameslink core! One 700 breaks down inside the tunnel and I've just heard a report of a train on fire at Farringdon which I assume is a Class 700! Any idea which units were involved in these failures?
A friend of mine also spotted a 24 car Class 700 outside Blackfriars this afternoon which I assume was towing the broken down unit

Status
Not open for further replies.