• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
At the EXCEL will you be able to walk around inside the train?

I heard the train will be fully operational. It's lack of movement will simply be an accurate simulation of what it will be like running through the core once the link to the GN line is complete.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Its a full two carriage working mock up.

Has anyone else noticed the significant change in bogie construction yet? Saves a significant amount of semi sprung weight and will do wonders for track wear...

It was announced awhile ago about that.

For some close up images see

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...v2IEG8PkpQjN-fkIg&sig2=pAmnzgzMjWcHlKNvFR1xhg

And Siemens PR

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...d5eRVIHPQeroCss3w&sig2=glqcIAUaHV8HON2tYlP_oA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Has anyone else noticed the significant change in bogie construction yet? Saves a significant amount of semi sprung weight and will do wonders for track wear...

Siemens answer to the Bombardier Flexx Eco. I read somewhere the power bogies are tread-braked as they couldn't find room for discs.

DJL

Gangways do cost money, add weight and compromise the cab design.

That pretty much answers the question - thanks
(Although I would still argue that in the case of the 376 gangways might have been worth it - but that's just my uneducated opinion, I'm just glad I don't have to use them very often!)

asylumxl

Established Member
I heard the train will be fully operational. It's lack of movement will simply be an accurate simulation of what it will be like running through the core once the link to the GN line is complete.

The word on the grapevine is that the whole event is infact a test to see how people will cope with being stationary on the new trains for 6 hours...

starrymarkb

Established Member
Siemens answer to the Bombardier Flexx Eco. I read somewhere the power bogies are tread-braked as they couldn't find room for discs.

That's because Flexx Eco requires body mounted motors, Siemens have mounted the motors in the bogie

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That's because Flexx Eco requires body mounted motors, Siemens have mounted the motors in the bogie

Thanks for the clarification. Anyone know what Aventra does for this?

I should probably also point out that the tread brakes on the power bogies won't be used that much because braking on those wheels will be regenerative whenever possible.

hwl

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification. Anyone know what Aventra does for this?

I should probably also point out that the tread brakes on the power bogies won't be used that much because braking on those wheels will be regenerative whenever possible.

Aren't the tread brakes on the powered axles in order remove the leaf residue every autumn?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The video says that scrubbing the leaf residue off is a secondary benefit- i.e. not something the brakes are designed to do.

deltic08

On Moderation
Never mind about platform 7 at Liverpool Street what is a photo of Liverpool Docks waterfront doing there?

DJL

Did no one notice that it uses the OLD blackfriars station?

That, if nothing else, makes it obvious that the pictures where 'shopped.

But they are only illustrative, so who cares?

Who's going to the Excel to see the mockup on Wednesday?

asylumxl

Established Member

Who's going to the Excel to see the mockup on Wednesday?

I may well go, not entirely surely yet.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am going to try and see if I can take some time out to go, but it's a long way to not necessarily see that much.

Mind you, when I saw the S-Stock at Euston many years ago, I did (along with others, I might add) give feedback that was taken into account and saw changes made.

It was also amusing to see an older lady that was far from an enthusiast, and really wasn't interested at all in 'all this new fangled stuff' and preferred what we already had. Mind you, given it was a Bombardier-built train, perhaps she knew more than she was letting on. :)

Class377/5

Established Member

That document is from 2009 so it was the current Thameslink station at time of printing.

user15681

Established Member
In case anyone hadn't heard, I can't remember if it's already been said, the DLR strike is cancelled so get there like normal. Was fortunate as the buses in the area were on diversion anyway due to roadworks I think. I'll be there, then.

DJL

In case anyone hadn't heard, I can't remember if it's already been said, the DLR strike is cancelled so get there like normal. Was fortunate as the buses in the area were on diversion anyway due to roadworks I think. I'll be there, then.

That's good news.

tsr

Established Member
Ah, but you could have used a TfL River service and then the Dangleway ;) Shame! Mind you, for the futuristic and non-financially inclined... it's still an option! :p

TEW

Established Member
Ah, but you could have used a TfL River service and then the Dangleway ;) Shame! Mind you, for the futuristic and non-financially inclined... it's still an option! :p

I'd recommend the cable car to anyone who hasn't used it before, provided the weather is decent. The views from it are good. The Travelcard discounted/Oyster fare of £3.20 is pretty reasonable too if you are using it as a one off touristy type thing rather than an actual method of transport.

DJL

Well I was going to walk from Canning Town. Since its just a quick jaunt on the Jubilee line from WAT for me.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Okay, I think I'm definitely going to go and see it tomorrow now!

Looks quite nice. I'd particularly like to look closer at the screens and the lighting (I presume it's LED throughout - but it's not easy to tell in a photograph).

asylumxl

Established Member
I'm still sceptical about the sliding doors and wide, open gangways. I can't imagine noise levels being pleasant on 100mph runs lasting more than a few minutes (e.g. St Pancras to St Albans).

Can't help but think the train is designed for the tiny minority which use the train for cross-London journeys rather than the majority traveling in to London on the MML, BML and ECML (in the future).

Last edited:

KX03HZY

I'm unimpressed that there is not tables, armrests, power points or wifi. These are not a good deal for commuters. 319/2's and 377/5's are better

jon0844

Veteran Member
It won't be ideal for people going from Bedford to Brighton, or Peterborough to wherever, but it's probably the only way to cope with the huge numbers of people.

The problem, as ever, is that all of this is to cope in the peaks - and that means rather empty, seatless, open spaces the rest of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.