• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink e-tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
For day tickets the focus seems very much to be on ITSO rather than e-Tickets.

Great, except at the moment you cannot buy (non-season) Southeastern tickets for the Key smartcard online, only at ticket offices and TVMs. And the only way you can get a ticket on the Key with a Railcard discount is when buying from a ticket office. (See the Southeastern Key FAQs.)

For a station such as Canterbury West, which can get pretty busy at times with queues for both the ticket office and TVMs in a smaller than ideal booking hall, the ability to buy tickets ahead of travel (using a mobile, computer or whatever other device) without the need to collect them from a TVM would be beneficial.

Tickets bought on an ITSO smartcard, ready for collection from the station's gateline or standalone validator within a short period of time (say 15 mins, though ideally ASAP) is one way of enabling that, if e-tickets are a no go for whatever reasons.

alistairlees

Established Member
Any idea of the rationale behind that?
ITSO is the strategy for all tickets in southeastern. Because most journeys involve more London travel that is not compatible with barcode. Also the cost of enabling all the gatelines for barcodes.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
ITSO is the strategy for all tickets in southeastern. Because most journeys involve more London travel that is not compatible with barcode. Also the cost of enabling all the gatelines for barcodes.

Given that, it's interesting that GTR seem to be open to e-tickets, at least partially - though as this thread demonstrates in perhaps a sometimes somewhat rather ill-thought through manner.

Also, any idea when Southeastern's ITSO ticketing strategy will actually bear some fruit? As I described in my earlier post, what's available at present (in terms of non-season tickets) is woefully limited.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Given that, it's interesting that GTR seem to be open to e-tickets, at least partially - though as this thread demonstrates in perhaps a sometimes somewhat rather ill-thought through manner.

Also, any idea when Southeastern's ITSO ticketing strategy will actually bear some fruit? As I described in my earlier post, what's available at present (in terms of non-season tickets) is woefully limited.
GTR interact with a certain long distance TOC that very much prefer e-Tickets to ITSO so they have to have the capability.

radamfi

Established Member
Things seem to have changed again.

I can now buy an e-ticket from St Albans to City Thameslink, Stevenage to City Thameslink, Gatwick to City Thameslink and Gatwick to St Pancras.

wyvfe1

I managed to buy a ITSO ticket from Biggleswade to Stratford International return, with a network card discount.
Bought from the TVM. I swiped on the validator a few seconds after to begin my journey.
However as I have Paygo, it took my Swipe as a Paygo start.
I swiped out at Kings Cross and it took this as my ITSO ticket purchase from the TVM. I now have an unresolved journey.
At St Pancreas the key didn't work on the HS1 gates. I showed the paper receipt to the gate line staff, they said I would have to buy another ticket as they don't accept the Thameslink Key. I got out my Dept card (contactless) and was about to swipe (the gateline) when she said hold on let me check the price on my computer matches. £27.20 she said should be the price £19.80 shows on your receipt, I showed her My railcard so she checked her computer for the price and it matched and she let me through.
At Stratford International the Key worked and opened the gate, same on the return it opened the gate but not at St Pancreas again.
So I buy the tickets on paper now.

paddington

Are there e-tickets for St Pancras to East Croydon and will they be issued validly, unlike tickets bought or TODed at St Pancras TVMs (which work the barriers, but have a printed origin of London Terminals)?

(Railcard Oyster is more expensive in evening peak)

James H

Press release today from GTR
https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/govia...fit-from-extension-of-smart-ticketing-2931618

eTickets were previously restricted to Gatwick Express services. They are now offered as an option through the Southern, Thameslink and Great Northern websites. eTickets can be used at GTR stations with no gates and 16 major stations where barcode readers have been installed. eTicket types are currently restricted to Advance, Anytime Day and Off-Peak Day singles and returns on our network.

KingJ

The last update I received from Southeastern towards the end of September was that it will be possible to buy daily tickets online, for loading on to a smartcard, in November.

There was also mention of a mobile app for 'topping up' the Key, although i'm unsure if this is an Oyster-style stored value top up or 'topping up' with a ticket purchased via the app instead of purchased via the website.

su31

I work for LU at Kentish Town station. A number of customers have recently been coming into the station with QR code tickets with the start of journey station being Kentish Town. We don't have QR code readers on our gates and have no Thameslink staff in our ticket hall with a way of reading the ticket. We have to allow the customers through.
Another older one we encounter daily is the customer with a code to allow them to collect their tickets from a TVM. Customers present us with emails showing they've selected Kentish Town West (a 15 minute walk away) then moan to us. It is very clear when selecting online tickets that you cannot collect them from Kentish Town station but it's an ongoing battle to get a TVM installed, even on the Thameslink side of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.