• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Night Services ar Blackfriars/London Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphilb

Now that the London Bridge rebuilding works are (largely) completed, can anyone tell me why Thameslink night services don't stop there but stop at Blackfriars?
As someone who occasionally uses this service, it is far easier to reach London Bridge than Blackfriars with TfL night buses/night tube. Is there any operational reason for the choice of Blackfriars?
The same question may also be asked about Farringdon when Crossrail arrives, particularly if that gets a night service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They dont stop at London Bridge because that would commit the trains to use that route to get from Blackfriars to East Croydon. Instead, stopping at Blackfriars they have the option to go via Tulse Hill and Crystal Palace or Streatham to allow engineering work to be done (if needed) on the route via London Bridge.

It is also easier to monitor and operate the relatively compact station at Blackfriars than keep London Bridge open for just platforms 4 and 5.

Bedpan

Established Member
As far Farringdon, it's operated as a London Underground station, and they all close at around 00.30 to 01.00, or at least, those that aren't on the Night Tube network do. It will be interesting to see if a Farringdon stop is introduced if the Circle and/or Hammersmith and City get a night service on Friday and Saturday nights. It would be sensible, which means that it probably won't happen.

bionic

As far Farringdon, it's operated as a London Underground station, and they all close at around 00.30 to 01.00, or at least, those that aren't on the Night Tube network do. It will be interesting to see if a Farringdon stop is introduced if the Circle and/or Hammersmith and City get a night service on Friday and Saturday nights. It would be sensible, which means that it probably won't happen.

Night tube and Thameslink at Farringdon would be fun. It's merry hell around there at weekend night times with all the clubs and bars and people tanked up on booze and class A drugs. I did read a few years back that Farringdon had the highest number of staff assaults of any station on the underground, which somewhat surprised me, I don't know if this is still the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.