• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Programme progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
As a commuter on TL I'm glad to see TL services are now running through on evenings and weekends. I couldn't find a thread about this so I thought I'd make one.

Did the first day go smoothly? The TL route has been plagued with problems recently, most of which I was unfortunate enough to get caught up in.

What work is left of the first phase of the programme? What will be the first work to commence of the next?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy3000

What work is left of the first phase of the programme?
I believe the last signalling upgrade (between Blackfriars and Loughborough Junction) is done, and the rebuilding work at Blackfriars and Farringdon is going to be finished within a few weeks. Sutton Loop trains are due to terminate at Blackfriars on Sundays from the 27th, which would suggest the bay platforms will be commissioned within the week.

Edvid

Established Member
Remaining works at Farringdon are:

* Restoration of the shop fronts on the 1923 ticket hall
* Removal of the temporary ticket office/accomodation on the corner of Turnmill and Cowcross Streets
* Completion of the emergency exit from platform 4 to Farringdon Road
* Completion of works near a white building adjacent to platform 1 (old signalbox cabin?)

The columns of the old roof need some visual TLC (especially on their bases) and I'd like to see glass installed in the old roof's gap above the Thameslink tracks.

-----

There's still quite a bit to do at Blackfriars.

I think the entire station is covered now. The bay platforms should be ready for passenger use on 27 May, if not earlier (21 May according to the TLP website); the north bank ticket office should be open now, though adjacent escalators and lifts are still a work in progress and should be ready for the Olympics (same goes for the Mermaid Theatre entrance).

Any remaining works at Blackfriars not finished by late July won't affect passengers.

Aictos

Established Member
I believe the last signalling upgrade (between Blackfriars and Loughborough Junction) is done, and the rebuilding work at Blackfriars and Farringdon is going to be finished within a few weeks. Sutton Loop trains are due to terminate at Blackfriars on Sundays from the 27th, which would suggest the bay platforms will be commissioned within the week.

Network Rail tweeted Friday that the final two platforms open on the 19th May which was yesterday, in other words the bay platforms have now been commissioned for passenger service.

hwl

Established Member
Network Rail tweeted Friday that the final two platforms open on the 19th May which was yesterday, in other words the bay platforms have now been commissioned for passenger service.

I go through Blackfriars once every fortnight or so and I had a good look on Thursday and there was no way NR could say they would be open on Friday, still plenty to do.

asylumxl

Established Member
To add, when I went through on Thursday there was certainly still a lot of work going on in the bay platforms. Several road/rail vehicles were sitting in the bays with workers hard at work :).

Eagle

Established Member
To add, when I went through on Thursday there was certainly still a lot of work going on in the bay platforms. Several road/rail vehicles were sitting in the bays with workers hard at work :).

Can't seem to find a diagram of the new station online, so can someone explain to me how platform 5 is now a through platform?

YorkshireBear

Established Member

This cant be right? you sure they weren't drinking tea? :p

Waddon

Can't seem to find a diagram of the new station online, so can someone explain to me how platform 5 is now a through platform?

I haven't got a diagram or the platform numbers, but there is only four platforms now, two through ones and two terminating, so I guess there is no platform 5. The terminating ones are on the west side of the bridge, and the through on the east, the opposite of the original arrangement.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Diagram attached below.

Attachments

• Blackfriars Proposed Layout from 2005 TWA Order.JPG
    Blackfriars Proposed Layout from 2005 TWA Order.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 55

Aictos

Established Member
I go through Blackfriars once every fortnight or so and I had a good look on Thursday and there was no way NR could say they would be open on Friday, still plenty to do.

You should ask Network Rail that, would be rather silly to publicly announce the bay platforms will be open from that date if they haven't actually finished the work.

hwl

Established Member
You should ask Network Rail that, would be rather silly to publicly announce the bay platforms will be open from that date if they haven't actually finished the work.

The schedule probably says work completed on day X but they have another 2 weeks till services run and can do enough in 1 week to get it open but not finished so they can announce they have finished on schedule ;)
Targets met all round

Presumably as the bays won't be used at night they will be able to do plenty then for the next couple of months?

Eagle

Established Member
I haven't got a diagram or the platform numbers, but there is only four platforms now, two through ones and two terminating, so I guess there is no platform 5. The terminating ones are on the west side of the bridge, and the through on the east, the opposite of the original arrangement.

Well how come all the LDBs are advertising departures towards Bedford from platforms 1, 2 and 5?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The schedule probably says work completed on day X but they have another 2 weeks till services run and can do enough in 1 week to get it open but not finished so they can announce they have finished on schedule ;)
Targets met all round

Presumably as the bays won't be used at night they will be able to do plenty then for the next couple of months?

It was reported last night (in the Yahoo group UK Modern EMU) that the bay platforms were in use yesterday morning, the 20th, P4 at 0600, and P3 at 0659.

Aictos

Established Member
It was reported last night (in the Yahoo group UK Modern EMU) that the bay platforms were in use yesterday morning, the 20th, P4 at 0600, and P3 at 0659.

Thought so, thank you for clarifying this.

Tommy3000

It was just a computer screw-up. Platform 5 was taken out of use during the initial stages of the Thameslink Programme and later demolished.

Status
Not open for further replies.