• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Services/Timetable from May 20th 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
The fixation on viewing this as an end to end service doesn't help. When it comes to the movement of people, we need to do this efficiently.

People south travel into the core and there is a clear benefit to that. That shuffle of people in the core needs to be prevented or at least limited. Same with a change at London Bridge. It needs to be limited to stop the needless shuffling about of people. Previously there was a lot of people who would travel into Cannon then walk down towards Blackfriars or jump straight onto the tube and go round that way. Getting into that part of the City from Kent had to be done via the tube or a punishing morning walk. With the service coming up through Kent and through into Blackfriars a lot of that movement has been stopped. That is a huge benefit to the commuters. Same with those who used to come up from the South London Side of Kent and change trains at Blackfriars. The platforms were a nightmare for overcrowding and confusion. Again, by running services through the core all that has been ameliorated. I don't travel North to South but when I drive it you see the same happening. People travel into the core, not through it. I couldn't tell you where people changed because I haven't experienced it.

The end to end mentality can also be said of Brighton <> Bedford. No-one in their right mind uses it end to end. I find it odd that there isn't the same call to cull their services. Or cut them short at Kentish etc.

The end to end service makes perfect sense to me because I see it as two halves. People who travel Kent <> Core and those who travel Bedford <> Core with some crossover of those who need the more leisure based destinations or those who live on the fringes and travel North <> South.

Ideally there has to be 3 service patterns. All stations, Semi-Fast, and Fast. This gives passengers and commuters flexibility and greater choice as well as reduced journey times. Something has to run all stations Core <> North. Personally I couldn't care if this was a Brighton, Sutton, or Rainham service. I think the problem is that there isn't anywhere South that is realistic to turnback on a regular basis. Theoretically you could run Luton <> Beckenham Junction or using the same mentality as West Hampstead you could run Luton <> Blackfriars <> ECS to Herne Hill. It just becomes stupidly complex and wastes pathways for no real reason. Playing crayons with trains is silly. We have to think about moving people and the most efficient way to do it. If you had a service running North <> Core and a service running South <> Core you are running two services. Having longer and through services just creates that link and combines them into a single more efficient service.

All stations > Core > All stations
Semi Fast > Core > Semi fast
Fast > Core > Fast

Where they come to and from I personally don't care. Rainham as the all stations serves the purpose because it's metro based and there are other options traveling from Kent into London.

Rainham going down via the North Kent is a tedious debate but that side of Kent absolutely needed the option to run into and through the core. Core <> London Bridge <> Kent really is a game changer and something I fully support. The other side of Kent is served by services coming up from Sevenoaks/Orpington. The future is going to link Maidstone and Ashford to that part of London. The options for the Kent passengers have increased. This is a huge benefit for the passenger.

If these services existed years ago I would have saved a fair few quid and quite a bit of time. I know more than a few people who see the same benefits and from an anecdotal perspective, watching the change to how the people move about I really have seen a dramatic change.

When I get a train, all I see is where I get on and where I get off. I choose the most efficient way of doing it. Least changes and quickest time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't care where the train came from or where its going to.
Your first paragraph is spot on. The purpose of Thameslink isn't to create all these through journeys, its to link services with a similar frequency on each side of London to free up capacity at London Terminals for other services. The downside is that disruption spreads across different regions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Through services via Thameslink - remember it was a (modest) child of the 1980's are hugely beneficial with cross London connectional opportunities (thank Heavens for getting MML North to London Bridge back) - even at the outset a neighbour who lived in SW19 , but worked in Radlett had her life transformed. The sheer number of say West Hampstead to East Croydon journeys is a typical benchmark. There are many others.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Probably an unrelated (and silly) question but may save another thread.

But how come the South Croydon to Milton Keynes service isn’t intergrated into Thameslink as a sort of “Thameslink 2”? Thereby creating a Thameslink network, on thru the city, the other via Kensington

Sorry for this question, just genuinely curious

Established Member

But how come the South Croydon to Milton Keynes service isn’t intergrated into Thameslink as a sort of “Thameslink 2”? Thereby creating a Thameslink network, on thru the city, the other via Kensington

Always always always thought this service should be operated by ThamesLink and bumped up to 2tph between Clapham Junction and Watford Junction. Perhaps operated by 707s once they are freed up from their current duties at South Western Railway.

extendedpaul

I'd like to see Slade Green and Northfleet also omitted and agree it should terminate at Gravesend. I'm sure most Medway and also Higham users would prefer a return of direct services to Charing Cross whether starting from Rainham or Gillingham.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'd like to see Slade Green and Northfleet also omitted and agree it should terminate at Gravesend. I'm sure most Medway and also Higham users would prefer a return of direct services to Charing Cross whether starting from Rainham or Gillingham.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, once Crossrail is up and running from Abbey Wood to the West End. It will be a very attractive journey to the heart of the West End compared to via Lewisham.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think when Luton is fully finished and gets the connection to the railway it will be a very nice airport to fly from.

I don't actually think it's bad now.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think when Luton is fully finished and gets the connection to the railway it will be a very nice airport to fly from.

I don't actually think it's bad now.

Better - after a load of carnage in the reconstruction of the approaches , let alone the terminal. Better to arrive at , than depart from.....handy though to be fair.

387star

On Moderation
Axing a fair few stations alongthe North Kent side would make this service more attractive, it’s unreasonable for a service that goes way beyond the M25 to be all stations.

The issue with that, is if it were semi fast this would leave Deptford with 4tph, along with Maze Hill and Westcombe Park, (Plumstead and Slade Green will just revert back to the 6tph they had before May last year and the shacks between Dartford/Greenhithe & Gravesend don’t need 4tph) do you suggest re-routing this via Lewisham, so that the above mentioned stations could maintain their 6tph? I understand that this is a contentious issue

Regarding Luton, is it the third or fourth busiest “London” airport after Heathrow and Gatwick?
Does it keep to time? If unreliable there might be pressure for change

When I sampled the service one passenger was on the phone to someone clearly very unhappy at the slow journey

Bedpan

Established Member

When I sampled the service one passenger was on the phone to someone clearly very unhappy at the slow journey
And it wasn't me so there must be at least two of us!!!:D

Established Member
Always always always thought this service should be operated by ThamesLink and bumped up to 2tph between Clapham Junction and Watford Junction. Perhaps operated by 707s once they are freed up from their current duties at South Western Railway.

The only benefit of that is increasing it to 2tph, which is nothing Southern couldn't do if they had the stock and crews available (which they don't...). If TL ran it the drivers would have to come from Three Bridges or taxi to/from St Albans which wouldn't make it the most efficient of routes for Thameslink to operate anyway. If it ain't broke...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Total Thameslink meltdown on the GN side today due to a fatality earlier. Some massive gaps in the service at many stations.

Unfortunate time and location, cutting off many stations and the only solution being for people to go via Hertford Loop which has a pathetic service at the best of times. No way it could cope with the extra passenger flows, or the need to use the loop for other services.

In these situations it's very much a case of, if you can postpone your travel then do so. Tickets were valid on local buses, but there's then the issue of convincing some bus drivers (especially Arriva ones). Some people have better bus links to other stations (e.g. St Albans or Hertford North/East) than others.

Thoughts of course to the family and staff involved. Shame on those who apparently hurled abuse at staff for not conjuring up a fleet of buses in 5 minutes or being unable to give a time when trains would run again, with no disruption, despite the ECML having been effectively split in half for 2-3 hours.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

I’ve recently moved from Rochester to Blackheath, but when I did travel on there weren’t many happy people and very few Medway commuters traveled beyond London Bridge.

Aictos

Established Member
Total Thameslink meltdown on the GN side today due to a fatality earlier. Some massive gaps in the service at many stations.

Which wasn't helped by a points failure between Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges too which impacted on the MML too, pretty much nothing but cancellations between Bedford and Luton although they did manage to get a hourly service running and reinstated one service in the time period I noticed.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Unfortunate time and location, cutting off many stations and the only solution being for people to go via Hertford Loop which has a pathetic service at the best of times. No way it could cope with the extra passenger flows, or the need to use the loop for other services.

In these situations it's very much a case of, if you can postpone your travel then do so. Tickets were valid on local buses, but there's then the issue of convincing some bus drivers (especially Arriva ones). Some people have better bus links to other stations (e.g. St Albans or Hertford North/East) than others.

Thoughts of course to the family and staff involved. Shame on those who apparently hurled abuse at staff for not conjuring up a fleet of buses in 5 minutes or being unable to give a time when trains would run again, with no disruption, despite the ECML having been effectively split in half for 2-3 hours.

I agree. The bus is never going work as most routes in Herts are low frequencies single deck buses.

What concerns me more is the line reopened at about 1000. Normal service not expected until after evening peak.

sefton

Yep, an absolute failure.

The wonderful GTR managed to run one train in five hours between St Pancras and Peterborough.

tsr

Established Member
A big issue is that what typifies semi-fast services North and South of the river on individual routes varies quite a bit. On the BML routes a big category in "Semi-fasts" is fast to East Croydon then all stops e.g. the East Grinstead* which is a bit different to north of the Thames

The number of potential fast /semi-fast / stoppers each side of the Thames doesn't match hence there have to be compromises. Ditto 12car and 8 car capable routes and then throw in DfT not ordering enough 12 car.

Hence there will always have to be some "random" joinings it is impossible not to.

*The limited stop service to Oxted is provided by the Diesel 171s as the acceleration of DMUs is much worse hence the better acceleration of EMUs is used for the all stop service.

There seems to be quite a lot of lack of understanding of infrastucture issues on the network in these discussions. The Sussex route pretty much wins on the number of complex infrastructure interactions.

The stopping pattern via Oxted is literally nothing to do with the diesel fleet acceleration (the 171s, as I recently posted elsewhere, are so constrained by timetable issues caused by rubbish infrastructure layouts that any semblance of acceleration is more of a hindrance than a help, and as the current Marshlink timetable shows, they’re fine for stopping services).

The former Southern peak extras from London Bridge to East Grinstead, and vice versa, were simply extended through the TL Core, as had always been intended. The SN services had provided extra capacity into London from the Surrey commuter belt for some time, and it’s an awful lot more efficient to send them through London than it is to terminate them there, although one or two actually still do. Part of the problem with those signalling issues during the early bit of the LBG rebuild was that the stock for those East Grinstead services was still turning back in Platforms 10-15, which put those platforms absolutely at capacity in the peak, such that there was no wriggle-room. In the end the people of the suburban lines through Peckham Rye drew the short straw and ended up experiencing the wonders of South Bermondsey terminators, resulting in half of their services running near-enough empty and disgorging three people into the back of an especially miserable football stadium car park, and the other half being wedged solid with people going to central London.

But I digress...

I’ve always thought it to be a lost opportunity. There are a number of logical extensions, some of which I’ve posted elsewhere.

My idea has always been for the line to be resignalled at higher capacity so that the same LO services as today could run, but with a stable increase in longer-distance services around those.

Which wasn't helped by a points failure between Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges too which impacted on the MML too, pretty much nothing but cancellations between Bedford and Luton although they did manage to get a hourly service running and reinstated one service in the time period I noticed.

TL did quite well to run as much as they did... in fact, I was quite impressed that anything at all moved. The Network Rail response to the fatality couldn’t really have been any slower (not 100% their fault, by any stretch of the imagination, but lessons will probably “be learnt” about where to put their resources). LNER also had a broken down train, and one of the 700s briefly conked out near to the fatality.

sefton

TL did quite well to run as much as they did...

Really? They managed "quite well" to run one train towards Peterborough in five hours!!!

Every other company has been able to run trains north from mid-morning, but GTR cancels virtually their entire service.

lessons will probably “be learnt” about where to put their resources

Don't make me laugh. GTR couldn't learn how to add 1 + 1.

tsr

Established Member
Really? They managed "quite well" to run one train towards Peterborough in five hours!!!

Every other company has been able to run trains north from mid-morning, but GTR cancels virtually their entire service.

Don't make me laugh. GTR couldn't learn how to add 1 + 1.

The response issues were nothing to do with GTR. Network Rail had significant problems deploying a response.

And GTR ran rather more than one train, and ran as much as humanly possible, not forgetting that at least a couple of Class 700 stock circuits were tied up for quite some time during the fatality itself. They also looked to some pretty far-flung corners of the south of England to find the last remaining buses which weren’t already booked on normal work.

If anyone did cancel anything beyond what was perhaps strictly necessary, it was probably LNER.

jon0844

Veteran Member
There's extremely limited capacity on the Hertford Loop and you had people at stations along the line that couldn't lose all trains to let everything run through fast.

If any trains were going to give, I'd have said the 9xxx trains to Peterborough and Cambridge should be caped at Finsbury Park and turned back if possible. Not sure where they'd have to turn back from there (Hornsey?) and then you have the drivers issue.. A mess.

One reason I fear what happens when the core is closed due to disruption. But I can't imagine how this is the fault of GTR. In such cases, you'd surely cut as many trains as necessary, shove people on a LNER train to Stevenage or Peterborough and organise local buses and taxis. Then try and shuttle other people up and down the loop to change for other services.

I can't imagine the logistical issues involved, or the recovery plan. It would be a total mess, but what can you do? Nobody wants suicides, but there's only so much you can do to stop them. When they do, things are going to be messed up. End of.

sefton

And GTR ran rather more than one train, and ran as much as humanly possible

Really?

12:15 St Pancras to Peterborough - Cancelled
12:45 St Pancras to Peterborough - Cancelled
13:15 St Pancras to Peterborough - Cancelled
13:45 St Pancras to Peterborough - Cancelled
14:15 St Pancras to Peterborough - Cancelled
14:45 St Pancras to Peterborough - Ran
15:15 St Pancras to Peterborough - Cancelled
15:45 St Pancras to Peterborough - Cancelled

Failed Unit

Established Member
If anyone did cancel anything beyond what was perhaps strictly necessary, it was probably LNER.

But which operator recovered the service quicker? GTR are still at 1900 suffering from this. But then this is Thameslink really. It just can’t recover from disruption which sadly will always happen. Can’t comment if services from the south were turned back at London Bridge.

From the north I was due to catch the 0852 WGC - London kings cross.

You could watch 12 car trains slowly trundle past. Many of them nearly empty as the ones slightly ahead had picked up passengers. Along comes the 0852 on the fast line. Stops at WGC (on the fast line). Nearly empty as the full platform of people at WGC just stood and watched it thinking why did they skip stop it? Did it save time? No as it waited on the fast for 3 minutes. Was it too over crowded? No we could see it was nearly empty. It is this that frustrates passengers about GTRs must skip stops policy. After a major disruption like this the took the view that getting already late passengers moving has their lowest priority.

Tonight have a 3 car 313. Not sure if the 717 would be a good thing here as I assume it would be cancelled. At least they can short form a 313. (But you can stand in comfort on the next 717)

Aictos

Established Member
Yep, an absolute failure.

The wonderful GTR managed to run one train in five hours between St Pancras and Peterborough.

Can you explain how you came by that maths?

As I can see the last train from St Pancras to Peterborough was the 11:45 St Pancras to Peterborough with the next service being the 14:45 St Pancras to Peterborough which is a 3 hour gap not a 5 hour gap.

With a normal service from St Pancras to Peterborough starting with the 16:15 St Pancras to Peterborough which was a 90 minute gap from the 14:45 St Pancras to Peterborough.

So I can't see how GTR managed to run just the one train in 5 hours...

Established Member
Can you explain how you came by that maths?

As I can see the last train from St Pancras to Peterborough was the 11:45 St Pancras to Peterborough with the next service being the 14:45 St Pancras to Peterborough which is a 3 hour gap not a 5 hour gap.

With a normal service from St Pancras to Peterborough starting with the 16:15 St Pancras to Peterborough which was a 90 minute gap from the 14:45 St Pancras to Peterborough.

So I can't see how GTR managed to run just the one train in 5 hours...

That is still diabolical for a route supposedly with a half hourly service... 3 trains in 5 hours is not acceptable under any circumstances frankly, disruption or otherwise.

Fred26

That is still diabolical for a route supposedly with a half hourly service... 3 trains in 5 hours is not acceptable under any circumstances frankly, disruption or otherwise.

No, of course. Which means there's no need to exaggerate.

jon0844

Veteran Member

So the ECML is closed and four tracks gone for 3 or 4 hours. How would you have managed things?

Failed Unit

Established Member
TL did quite well to run as much as they did... in fact, I was quite impressed that anything at all moved. The Network Rail response to the fatality couldn’t really have been any slower (not 100% their fault, by any stretch of the imagination, but lessons will probably “be learnt” about where to put their resources). LNER also had a broken down train, and one of the 700s briefly conked out near to the fatality.

To add some balance I notice that this is conveniently not mentioned. Yes a LNER train broke down but so did a “impossible to fail” class 700

At around 08:20 a service running from Cambridge to Brighton which had been diverted via the alternative route suffered a loss of power near Cuffley, and was unable to draw power from the electrified overhead lines. The driver liaised with our technical hotline in order to restore power, and while this issue was fixed after around 20 minutes the fault resulted in the closure of the only remaining London bound line, causing further congestion. At around the same time a Leeds bound LNER train also failed in the Palmers Green area, blocking the only Northbound line adding to delays.

Source GTR. If you must throw stones at another operator make sure your own house is in order.

As for they did well. Why skip stops and then have the train stand in front of the very passengers it was supposed to taking from A-B for 5 mins on the fast line. Not very passenger friendly is it? But I guess GTR will say that is for the good of the railway! I hope GTR will learn some lessons but experience shows they don’t care.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Was the train that skipped stops a service due to stop or a fast that didn't have stops added? At WGC, signallers will sometimes fail to move trains from the fast to slow. Sometimes it's too late to issue paperwork at Stevenage.

We all saw the mess between May and July when it was a case of crossing fingers to see if a train would stop.

And you say nobody mentioned a failing 700, yet it was in the top text you quoted! Assuming it happened near the fatality, it clearly wasn't on the Hertford Loop so didn't block the only usable line like the LNER train did.

Failed Unit

Established Member
So the ECML is closed and four tracks gone for 3 or 4 hours. How would you have managed things?
LNER, HT and GC seemed to manage. They may have priority on the paths but certainly did better than GTR in terms of keeping customers moving and informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.