• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Services/Timetable from May 20th 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It seems there are still a lot of drivers that can't take trains all the way from TL to GN and vice versa. So trains are terminating early, as there is no driver to take it further.

Lots of trains were apparently coming out the core to FPK and ending there. I assume the same in the opposite direction. It's such a mess, I don't fancy looking back to see every single train movement - although perhaps that's not too difficult given the number of cancellations!

This might explain the planned cancellations until June, as GTR now realise they can only plan on the drivers they HAVE got, not those they are hoping may do some rest day work or cancel annual leave etc.

Any investigation will have to look at how the training went to have enough drivers ready, as well as how rostering had planned for this event to make sure they weren't relying on volunteers. There might also be a need to check if any union recommended not doing overtime/RDW to mess things up for political gain!

Everyone has been terrified of the new timetable and workings for years, and it would certainly suit some people to have it turn into a dumpster fire as it appears has happened.

That said, my fears were more for issues of disruption caused by the public, trains broken down, signal failures/wiring issues and how the service recovers etc - not what has actually happened that should and must have been predicted and could have been sorted months ahead of time.

Having a load of spare drivers for the first few days/weeks would have been very sensible. Offering sufficient incentives, as a one off, given how important the changes are.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Megafuss

Does anybody know how many services have been cancelled today compared to the planned service (excluding engineering work).? If so, is there a breakdown as to cause of cancellation?

GN Outers sitting at 38% PPM to give an idea

talldave

Established Member
The words "brewery", "p155 up" and "organise" come to mind. Sadly, it's exactly what I'd expect from GTR.

Add to that the "treat your customers like mushrooms" approach to social media and tomorrow's going to be hilarious.

mmh

Established Member
Does anybody know how many services have been cancelled today compared to the planned service (excluding engineering work).? If so, is there a breakdown as to cause of cancellation?

Every cancelled service I looked at earlier on realtimetrains had a delay attribution code of 'TI', which is "train crew rostering problem". That's just what's been entered though I suppose and may or may not be the root cause.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I find the mention at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/191459.aspx of Bedford to Brighton line services worrying - the only extras being added frequency-wise at the timetable change are the extra peak services fast north of St Pancras, which are taking all the passengers displaced by East Midlands Trains services no longer calling south of Wellingborough. If even one or two of these is going to have a planned cancellation in force for the next 3 weeks, there's going to be substantial discontent amongst commuters - bear in mind Bedford/Luton - London commuters have typically not been affected greatly by Thameslink issues due to the faster EMT services being available.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Tony Miles was on 5 Live about an hour ago explaining the situation. Thought he did an excellent job.

sefton

GN Outers sitting at 38% PPM to give an idea

100% failure a
Not great!, But that also includes trains completing their entire journey but over 5 mins late. Is that right?

No trains at all here for four and a half hours.

Frankly people ought to lose their jobs over such incompetence (even just to have the common sense to announce they had a problem when they knew they had insufficient drivers), but things will just carry on as they are.

No wonder people hold train companies in such contempt.

Sleepy

Established Member
Charles Horton can do no wrong in Grayling's view so sure it will all be brushed under the carpet. Govia must have bulging carpets .......

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
I was already dreading work tomorrow, post timetable change, but even more so after reading this thread.

Thankfully it’s a late-late shift for me, so things may have been sorted out by then.

My cab window will remain firmly closed throughout.

theironroad

Established Member
100% failure a

No trains at all here for four and a half hours.

Frankly people ought to lose their jobs over such incompetence (even just to have the common sense to announce they had a problem when they knew they had insufficient drivers), but things will just carry on as they are.

No wonder people hold train companies in such contempt.

4.5 hours sounds grim. What journey is that?

I see the gtr journey check does say they had a failed train in the tunnels earlier (canal tunnels I think) which would probably cause grief any daylet alone today.

I find the mention at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/191459.aspx of Bedford to Brighton line services worrying - the only extras being added frequency-wise at the timetable change are the extra peak services fast north of St Pancras, which are taking all the passengers displaced by East Midlands Trains services no longer calling south of Wellingborough. If even one or two of these is going to have a planned cancellation in force for the next 3 weeks, there's going to be substantial discontent amongst commuters - bear in mind Bedford/Luton - London commuters have typically not been affected greatly by Thameslink issues due to the faster EMT services being available.

This is causing me severe anxiety. The nightmare scenario is that the EMT replacement fast services get canned and all the EMT refugees then get on the normal Thameslink services from Bedford, leaving us with the not very pleasant prospect of standing from Flitwick to St Pancras, plus the expected hoardes of disgruntled Harpendonians squeezing into every spare nook & cranny due to their service being dismantled. One of the peak trains from Flitwick is the 0712, which is supposed to end up in Rainham eventually. Given the rumours that the drivers aren't trained on that route yet, I'm concerned that the 0712 won't run at all, giving one train at 0658, one at 0713 and one at 0729, all potentially full by the time the get to Flitwick.

Who signed off these new timetables? How could they not know that they'd not have enough drivers for the start of the timetable? How can they have the sheer brass neck to trumpet the new timetable as a bright, shiny new thing that will benefit us all, when clearly it wont? Who's head is going to roll over this monumental omnishambles? .... Probably no-one. That makes me really angry.

Bromley boy

Established Member
No Great Northern trains running south from Peterborough after 11am, so all stations down from there.

An utter shambles and people ought to be ashamed.

Indeed.

It’s not as if they haven’t had years to plan it...

mmh

Established Member
But for that distance?

It's an hour and a half, not too bad for that journey by road and happens fairly often on the Thameslink overnight services. No worse than many rail replacement buses.

radamfi

Established Member
It's an hour and a half, not too bad for that journey by road and happens fairly often on the Thameslink overnight services. No worse than many rail replacement buses.

No way can that be driven in 90 minutes, even in the middle of the night.

theironroad

Established Member
No way can that be driven in 90 minutes, even in the middle of the night.

The plot deepens, as it seems to be the only bus and there is a train running through at 0241 from three bridges and later than that as shown in the RTT attachment below:

Screenshot_2018-05-20-21-14-09.png

Status
Not open for further replies.