Thank you and a little respect...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LCC106, 27 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LCC106

LCC106 Member

OK, so I'm a relatively new member of the forum. Very new, in fact. Just wanted to say I've found the forum a fantastic source of useful information - especially in light of interview insights - but come on, can we have a little more respect for others? Some of the posts I've read amount to little more than playground tittle tattle.

Happy for the moderators to remove this if they wish, just approaching from an outsider looking in.

Anyway, I look forward to learning and contributing more. Thanks again :lol:

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Robinson

Robinson Member

If you don't like a post, you can always report it.

4. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Cheers - wasn't aware of that. (Maybe I need to re-read the rules...) Anyway, more a general observation but the mods have closed the one I was in the process of responding to...

5. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

Its a public discussion forum, unfortunately that is how it will work... Not saying its right but its what will happen because everyone is different.

6. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

What else did you expect on the Internet?

TBF some people bring it on themselves!

7. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome. And glad to hear it :)

Please report anything you feel is inappropriate and/or contravenes our aim for this forum to be "a friendly environment for all members where individuals are respectful of each other" by using the report button to the bottom-left of each post, the icon looks like this: [​IMG]

Also it is very important not to re-publish ('quote') inappropriate comments as it creates extra work for moderators (and can be seen that the person quoting thinks the quote is okay to be published).

The moderation of this forum does rely on such reports, as we get over 1,000 posts per day and it is not possible for us to read them all.

8. LCC106

LCC106 Member

True...

9. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Welcome on board mate. Can be pretty entertaining at times & but also very informative.

10. callum112233

callum112233 Member

If this thread is aimed at the 'Network Rail messed up at Euston!' thread, then I agree. Some people were a bit harsh in there :s

11. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Well why should our rail system run around photographers then?

12. Chew Chew

Chew Chew Member

Compared to some of the fora I read/post on this fora is incredibly mild mannered.

13. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Totally agree we don't have to work around photographers - just a bit unnecessary some of the slating given. Also the metal theft thread. But thanks to the mods who have taken the time to contact me separately.

I'm all for some healthy debate but slating people for spelling mistakes or taking observations about Eastern Europeans (if I remember rightly) to amount to discrimination and sending the thread in a completely different direction are just totally uncalled for!

14. callum112233

callum112233 Member

Not saying that, I'm just saying there was no need for the big brawl.

15. 90019

90019 Established Member

It is by far the most civilised forum I'm on.

16. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

Second most civilised for me - but far closer to first than third. I prefer civilised behaviour, which is one of the things that appeals here (I've more or less left all the others). A little banter doesn't hurt, but it rarely gets even close to out-of-hand - and when it does the mod team is almost invariably very effective.

17. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

I also find it the most civilised forum I have ever been involved in. By far!

Human nature being what it is, some debates will get heated, and even the most mild mannered poster can make the occasional inappropriate comment.

18. deltic1989

deltic1989 Established Member

Welcome to the forum my friend. Sorry to hear you have noticed inappropriate posts, this being a public forum however some may have opinions others disagree with and there may be one or two people who may thrive on trouble. Whilst the mods of this fine forum do thier best to avoid any inappropriateness or confrontation they cannot be everywhere, that is the purpose of the report button. I have never had any cause to use this function but its there in case its needed. I hope you continue to enjoy the forum and you learn as much as i do everyday from the knowledgeable people that frequent it. all the best.

19. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Got to agree here, I've been involved in various forums over the years and have seen all sorts of stuff - glad that things mostly stay civil here and that reported posts are quickly dealt with as necessary. While everyone has an opinion, I've often found that anonymity breeds hostility - glad that's something that doesn't happen often here.

20. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Ha ha! To be fair I think I shocked a few people on the HR professional forum I'm part of a couple of weeks ago by standing up to a guy whose comments aren't even worth being written on loo roll! Certainly got a few tongues wagging and resulted in heated debate of its own! (think I'm usually classed as that mild mannered poster you refer to...)

21. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

I quite agree.

Try ARRSE or PPRUNE. It'll blow your socks off. ;)

22. YorkshireBear

This is only forum i am on at the moment. Football ones got ridiculously childish. So glad to hear this is one of the best, means i have no reason to leave!

As said Mods do a great job on here with a few recent examples. Agreeing to disagree is usually the best and most common conclusion on here.

23. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The most select part of rural Cheshire East.
    From the "owl" of Oldham to the "owl" of Sheffield, I quite agree with what you say above with regards to football forums. Yahoo! Sports have some unbelievably rude postings on their football forum and that is a very large national forum, with no moderation whatsoever, so it seems from what they allow to be posted.

With regards to the OP, I would say that many forum members have responded to your thread with much well-meant advice, but it is up to you how you choose to take this on board. Not all of us are "ogres", even if we do come across as such sometimes.

24. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Cheers Paul, I do appreciate it. Am now imagining what an ogre looks like and am coming up with a cross between Shrek and the one from Three Billy Goats Gruff. Am sure no-one on here looks like them at all! (Or is that why most people have pics of trains ... or no pics, like me?) :lol:

25. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

I'm pretty sure Wayne Rooney isn't on RUK! :lol:

26. YorkshireBear

I like what you did there :) This is the only place i discuss football online, and i believe you are one of the only league 1 fans so you are only of the only people i talk to about football online so be honoured :) Well not honoured...
    (excludes facebook where i obviously talk to my SWFC friends from home)

Ba dum chh :) Someone had to say it, so annoyed i didnt get there first.

27. LCC106

LCC106 Member

*grin*

28. WestCoast

WestCoast Established Member

I'm on the latter. It can be downright nasty, with jibes left, right and centre. Certain sections are OK though.

I think the key is the right level of moderation, certain forums have too little, and on some forums it's far too intrusive. I can think of forums which fit into both of these categories.

This one is rather civil, with a middle ground in terms of moderation.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2011
  29. Butts

Butts Established Member

Speaking as someone who has been subjected to couple of "yellow cards", may I say the Moderators are not a bad bunch.

Most of the contributors on here are extremely helpful and informative, with a wide variety of expertise across the intellectual horizon.

Personally I have never had cause to report anyone or seen very much that in my view requires such action. However in order to participate I have to respect the rules and moderating decisions. Everyone has a differing level of tolerance.

I 'd rather be in than out :p

30. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Butts-ering up the mods there, I see. (see what I did there? *groan*)

31. 90019

90019 Established Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.