• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

thank you to a SWT Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I'd like to thank the SWT guard yesterday on an evening service from Portsmouth to Waterloo. He made this way through 1st class clearing out 90% of chancers with standard class tickets. This train is notorious for people take the p***. I did tell him it would be nice to get more regular checks on that train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I'd like to thank the SWT guard yesterday on an evening service from Portsmouth to Waterloo. He made this way through 1st class clearing out 90% of chancers with standard class tickets. This train is notorious for people take the p***. I did tell him it would be nice to get more regular checks on that train.

Did he just clear them, or take details? Even better on the guard if charges (Fiscal or criminal) follow.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Just clear them out and try to persuade them that there are plenty of seats at the rear of the train. He said to me that a revenue inspector could take their details.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Great to hear the role mentioned in such a positive way. A strong vote of confidence in how having a second, trained and competent, train crew member on board can benefit the customers' experience.

GTR take note!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Had a great GTR first class experience today - 2 basically vagrant types fast asleep in the "snug" on a 319/4 - feet on seats - hoodies down , garbage all over.

Had a quiet work with despatcher at SPX ,who said Farringdon staff would remove them. Not on - as a few genuine looking 1st pax did an about turn when they saw them, esconced in their little mobile doss house.

Off peak - often not worth sitting in the 1st - as it can attract various sorts you dont want to mix with - the older trains with the privacy glass can make their behaviour not that you see in the more open standard class.

TheManBehind

Great to hear the role mentioned in such a positive way. A strong vote of confidence in how having a second, trained and competent, train crew member on board can benefit the customers' experience.

GTR take note!

Devils advocate, but what about that could not have been done by an OBS, instead requiring a fully-trained Guard?

Bromley boy

Established Member
Devils advocate, but what about that could not have been done by an OBS, instead requiring a fully-trained Guard?

None of it. But that rather misses the point that OBMs simply won't exist for long. They will doubtless be made redundant within a short timeframe. As per the GatEx experience.

As others have said, the safety critical nature of the guards' role is the only thing that preserves it. Quite apart from the additional safety and customer service benefits a second crew member delivers in terms of chasing away tissue beggars, challenging undesirables, dealing with emergencies, etc.

Despite the mealy-mouthed GTR press releases these supposedly "customer service"' focussed changes will not benefit customers in any way shape or form. They will result in a marginal reduction in costs, none of which will be passed on to passengers.

Flying Snail

Established Member

As soon as they are able to run the train with only a driver you will see trains with only drivers, all the pledges and reassurances of additional super great customer focused blah blah blah is nonsense, once guards are gone it is only a matter of time before the trains are run with no on-board staff.

My experience of 1st class on Gat Ex since it has been de-staffed is that it is regularly used by people who probably do not have 1st class tickets.

Matt Taylor

Established Member

Could you tell us which train this was? I ask as I'm regularly working trains out of Waterloo to your station.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I must say, that I do find train crew, drivers and guards very pleasant on SWT. (I am sure they are on other TOCs too.)

GodAtum

On Moderation
Could you tell us which train this was? I ask as I'm regularly working trains out of Waterloo to your station.

Sure, it was the 1800 out of Guildford. As this train is only a 5 coach, it gets very crowded, especially if the 1734 is cancelled. As mentioned above, I do find SWT crews are very pleasant and if they are not busy will stop and chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.