• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timpg

Hi all

Yesterday I had my final pass out driving assessment and passed, so I have finally earned my key!
This site and the members have been invaluable in helping to achieve this goal. I would like to take the opportunity to say a big thank you for all those who have kindly given help and advice through what has been a very challenging and turbulent 3 years to finally get there!
Thanks again and I wish you all the very best of luck in your own careers and journeys!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Really glad you got there, congratulations mate! This site really is a godsend and I agree that the help and support this place offers is invaluable.

Good luck for the future now you have the key!

Jlob2804

Well said both.
It felt like an unobtainable job for me in 2019, but the people on this site were invaluable (as you say Stigy). They really helped prepare me for the interviews and assesments, get my foot in the door and bring the job within reach.
Long live Rf! :rf:
Best of luck Timpg.

Crazyb

Hi all

Yesterday I had my final pass out driving assessment and passed, so I have finally earned my key!
This site and the members have been invaluable in helping to achieve this goal. I would like to take the opportunity to say a big thank you for all those who have kindly given help and advice through what has been a very challenging and turbulent 3 years to finally get there!
Thanks again and I wish you all the very best of luck in your own careers and journeys!
Well done mate, I'm really pleased for you...Like you said, you've waited a long time time to get where you are......I always say, what's meant to be will be, and maybe Freightliner wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, your better off where you are....At least you all get free travel and no long nights on a Rugby return!!!!

Take your time and don't rush......

Timpg

Well done mate, I'm really pleased for you...Like you said, you've waited a long time time to get where you are......I always say, what's meant to be will be, and maybe Freightliner wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, your better off where you are....At least you all get free travel and no long nights on a Rugby return!!!!

Take your time and don't rush......
Cheers mate! Thank you very much, much appreciated!!
seems like an eternity ago that i was waffling on to you about trying to become a driver!!!lol!!
Yes definitely worked out the way it did for the best!
Definitely worth the wait, funny how things work out with a little bit of hope and perseverance lol!!
Hopefully see you about sometime, would be great to catch up!
All the best mate, cheers again!!

Ludus

Congratulations!

I've been applying for 2 years without even making the paper sift, any pointers?

Jlob2804

Make sure you're in a job that is safety critical and/or will expose you to challenging situations. Lots of people on here applied for several train driver jobs before making it through the sift. It could take years. Use that time to make your app stand out. Being the kind of person they'd employ on paper will jump you up the front of the queue for assessments and interviews.

Ludus

Make sure you're in a job that is safety critical and/or will expose you to challenging situations. Lots of people on here applied for several train driver jobs before making it through the sift. It could take years. Use that time to make your app stand out. Being the kind of person they'd employ on paper will jump you up the front of the queue for assessments and interviews.
What kind of example are we talking? I work in an office so nothing safety critical. I am doing my PPL and also glide frequently, would that be enough?

CPFC#1

What kind of example are we talking? I work in an office so nothing safety critical. I am doing my PPL and also glide frequently, would that be enough?

I had an office job for 10 years and I applied for a couple of driving jobs but didn't get through the sift. So I took a gamble and took a backwards step in terms of wages just to get myself a job on the railway. I gained valuable safety critical experience and I have just been given my start date for a trainee driver after 2 years of working on the railway. I know a drop in wages is quite daunting but it was a risk that I knew I had to take to get me where I am now.

Bluenosemase

Has your office got a designated first aider? When you glide are you responsible for anyone else? Do you teach them as an experienced glider or do you make sure their equipment is safe? All of these things can be done to show that you’re not afraid of challenging situations, it can also give you some good examples for your application/interview.

Stigy

Established Member
Many people get Trainee Driver jobs with an office background. It’s arguably easier to get through the interviews if you have some safety critical experience to draw upon. The fact you’re doing your PPL (I assume that’s ‘Private Pilot’s Licence’) and have gliding experience is ideal, jyst try to pre-empt what the interviewers may ask and come up with some decent examples. For example, “can you give an example of a task you’ve done similar to that of a train driver?” Should be easy for you.

EssexGonzo

Congratulations. Given your location, I may well be sitting behind you at some point in the future.

Mattydo

Adherence to procedures, operating in a safety critical role, job similar to a train driver (task focused and ‘alone’ for significant periods of time), situational awareness, communication etc etc. You can draw on your gliding and PPl for all of these. But don’t discount your office work, punctuality, customer focussed, team work etc. Concentrate on the non technical skills both offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.