• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thanks nhs Vinyl 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Southern have done the same. Can't help but wonder if this is also a way of trialling a more up to date unified GTR livery too.....

I saw that and thought exactly the same thing too. Don't get me wrong, the current Southern livery was nice. But it's now rather dated. A similar design to these special liveries, which each of the sub brand's colours on, would look quite nice and rather good across all of the TSGN Fleets: Green for Southern, Purple for GN, Blue for Thameslink and Red for Gatwick.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Southern have done the same. Can't help but wonder if this is also a way of trialling a more up to date unified GTR livery too.....

It isn’t. It is just a way of saying thank you to the people who work for the NHS. I happen to know one of the people involved in doing this, and it’s a good effort.

Ladder23

Established Member
I would like to see more of these being done especially by Thameslink, like the old days with so much variety on the route! :)

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Apparently, Thaneslink have been pretty poor at naming trains since the 700s.
Many of the 319s had names of drivers and depot staff but these don't seem to have been followed through. I recall that some TL drivers attempted to get a name of a 25yr old driver on a 700 but thus far havent succeeded.

Skimble19

Established Member
Photos of the Great Northern 717 attached, courtesy of GN Twitter (@GNRailUK).

Certainly a massive improvement over the rather drab DfT specified grey.

Not heard anything internally to suggest this but it would definitely make sense, all 3 brands have been refreshed but the liveries are still the same. In reality unless a fairly long franchise extension is announced I can’t see it happening.

Attachments

• 85D8289D-FC24-4F2E-BB54-6147CEFA00BA.jpeg
    85D8289D-FC24-4F2E-BB54-6147CEFA00BA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
  • 7456DDCA-0356-400E-8919-97C3531C4D89.jpeg
    7456DDCA-0356-400E-8919-97C3531C4D89.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126

theironroad

Established Member
Many of the 319s had names of drivers and depot staff but these don't seem to have been followed through. I recall that some TL drivers attempted to get a name of a 25yr old driver on a 700 but thus far havent succeeded.

What had this 25yr old driver done to get a named train, can only be driving for 4 years max, so can only guess there is some notable reason.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not at all. The old chap has been marvelous but a bit of humour does not mean sarcasm.
Maybe when David Bowie’s Major Tom was mentioned I thought it was an insult to the wonderful fundraising done by Major Tom Moore at the grand old age of 99

Class315

* Some GN drivers attempted for either a 700 or 717001 to be named after a driver who passed away, not long after qualifying.

Most certainly wasn’t for a raffle.

NORMAN471

Northern has 331 111 and 195 111, Transpennine has 185 111, TfW has 175 111
Northern also has 150111 which could cover the other parts of Northern England that 331111 and 195111 won't. It was also in Doncaster works recently for mods, but not sure if it is still there as I haven't come across any photos of it in Northern White livery so could possibly be another good candidate to be adorned with NHS Vinyls.

Mikey C

Established Member
A great gesture. That 700 in particular looks a LOT smarter as a result, the desperately plain livery the 700s (and 717s) have does make them very suitable for such alternative liveries

Aictos

Established Member
They just made him a Colonel....

A honorary Colonel which is different from a Colonel promoted though the ranks, eg Prince Charles is the honorary Colonel in Chief of the Welsh Guards yet he's actually a Prince of the realm and a Field Marshal to boot so Tom Moore is just a Captain who holds the position of honorary Colonel.

So the nameplate is quite correct and in date.

delt1c

Established Member
A honorary Colonel which is different from a Colonel promoted though the ranks, eg Prince Charles is the honorary Colonel in Chief of the Welsh Guards yet he's actually a Prince of the realm and a Field Marshal to boot so Tom Moore is just a Captain who holds the position of honorary Colonel.

So the nameplate is quite correct and in date.
The most important thing is that here is a man who has earned his reank and shown his dedication to others. The rank on the uniform is not the main thing It is the person inside the uniform who we should be proud of, he has put others before himself and for that I applaud him.

theironroad

Established Member
He'll always be remembered as Capt Tom to the public and I believe he said as much in an interview today.

Status
Not open for further replies.