• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thanks to TPE driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A word of praise for a TOC, amid the moans and groans we all read about, on this forum. Thanks to the driver of 1P56 1827 MAN-YRK, yesterday, for going beyond the call of duty. He got the w/chair ramp out on a 185 unit; and speeded up, the process of getting me off the train.The guard and platform staff at LDS were otherwise occupied. At a time when it's all too easy, to complain about TOC staff, I thought I would share this with you. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's good to hear.

All the TPE staff I've experienced have been professional and friendly (there is apparently one dodgy guard but I don't think I've encountered him!), and complaints about TPE on the forum are very low compared to other TOCs. So, I am not surprised, but it's pleasing to hear :)

(Perhaps one of the TPE staff who are on this forum may pass on your message to the driver?)

That's good to hear.

All the TPE staff I've experienced have been professional and friendly (there is apparently one dodgy guard but I don't think I've encountered him!), and complaints about TPE on the forum are very low compared to other TOCs. So, I am not surprised, but it's pleasing to hear :)

(Perhaps one of the TPE staff who are on this forum may pass on your message to the driver?)

Thanks for that. I guess they'll recognise who it was? I have already identified, the train reporting number,destination and departure time! For the number crunchers amongst you, I'm afraid I didn't get the unit number. I would normally do so.

455driver

Veteran Member
I hope the driver carried out a full H&S appraisal before carrying out this very dangerous task, just think of the carnage that could have ensued if the ramp had broken free, it could have killed 100s.

Seriously though its good to hear praise for a driver on here for a change. It doesnt happen very often its usually cheap shots and moans (is it nearly Christmas yet because I am sure that regurgitated drivel about drivers having the audacity to have 2 days off will do the rounds again).

Oh the first paragraph was a joke for those lacking any sense of humour.;)

I hope the driver carried out a full H&S appraisal before carrying out this very dangerous task, just think of the carnage that could have ensued if the ramp had broken free, it could have killed 100s.

Seriously though its good to hear praise for a driver on here for a change. It doesnt happen very often its usually cheap shots and moans (is it nearly Christmas yet because I am sure that regurgitated drivel about drivers having the audacity to have 2 days off will do the rounds again).

Oh the first paragraph was a joke for those lacking any sense of humour.;)

I took the first paragraph, in the way it was intended (a joke). He examined said equipment carefully; and ensured, that the right pins went in the right slots:D:D

455driver

Veteran Member
I knew you would get the joke okay, but there are a few posters that wouldnt. ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
I took the first paragraph, in the way it was intended (a joke). He examined said equipment carefully; and ensured, that the right pins went in the right slots before kicking 7 colours of #@%& out of it to ensure it wouldnt move :D:D

Post suitably edited :D ;)

Post suitably edited :D ;)

The driver did not use his feet in an unorthodox manner:D. All actions were carried out, in accordance with the relevant statutes. The sections of the rule book ascertaining appropriate gradient of said ramp; insertion and deinsertion of ramp pins, were assiduously carried out in a thoroughly professional manner:D

I shall wake up later today; and find posts complaining, about my verbosity (wordiness) and pomposity (or both):D Either that or some pedant will miss the humour completely!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have you considered dropping TPE a message on the 'contact us' section of their website?

No I hadn't actually. I did thank the driver though.
Have you considered dropping TPE a message on the 'contact us' section of their website?

Job done! A thankyou message posted. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only thing to be careful of, when praising staff, is it can sometimes get them into trouble! e.g. if a ticket clerk gave really good fares advice including "splitting", then I would not write to the company to praise them (or, if I did, I would not give details regarding the advice they gave!)

You never know, there may be some ludicrous rule to say that a driver isn't allowed to deploy a ramp without first sacrificing the South American rainforest by carrying out a comprehensive risk assessment, which must be approved by a suitably qualified person. Anyone wishing to deploy the ramp must have with them a valid competency card, and receive a work package plan.... :rolleyes:;)

The only thing to be careful of, when praising staff, is it can sometimes get them into trouble! e.g. if a ticket clerk gave really good fares advice including "splitting", then I would not write to the company to praise them (or, if I did, I would not give details regarding the advice they gave!)

You never know, there may be some ludicrous rule to say that a driver isn't allowed to deploy a ramp without first sacrificing the South American rainforest by carrying out a comprehensive risk assessment, which must be approved by a suitably qualified person. Anyone wishing to deploy the ramp must have with them a valid competency card, and receive a work package plan.... :rolleyes:;)

Thankyou for pointing out this potential pitfall. Getting someone into trouble is the last thing I had in mind.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Would you recommend instead simply saying thank you and not specifiying a time etc, so god forbid he has done something he 'technically' shouldn't have done, they cant find out who it is and do anything about it, but still the company recieves praise.

Sounds like a top lad, and im sure FTPE will be pleased to hear compliments.

Would you recommend instead simply saying thank you and not specifiying a time etc, so god forbid he has done something he 'technically' shouldn't have done, they cant find out who it is and do anything about it, but still the company recieves praise.

Sounds like a top lad, and im sure FTPE will be pleased to hear compliments.

I see where you're coming from; but it might work in reverse? What if a TOC wanted to know, exactly which service you travelled on? They could work backwards, then through rosters. My original point, though, is still valid. People need to be thanked, for going beyond the call of duty. Far too easy to take TOC staff for granted.
TPE responded with an appreciative email.

Status
Not open for further replies.