• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "£1 Tweedbank Specials"

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zod

I bought a fair few of these a while back and will be looking to use some of them over the coming days. I would just like to know if anyone has had any problems using them and what my mode of action should be if we are challenged ? I may use the the ticket on the 0755 VTEC out of Inverness one morning and am unsure what the TMs opinion would be on my ticket :) There shouldn't be any problems terminating my journey short at Inverness on a Tweedbank-Nairn (Anytime Single) ticket and visa versa i.e. starting at Inverness on a Nairn-Tweedbank should there ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If they challenge you, just say that was the price at the time.

If they want to withdraw the ticket for investigation (which would be a very quick investigation, given how well known the matter is) they would have to give you a receipt and allow you to complete your entire journey at no extra cost.

najaB

Veteran Member
There shouldn't be any problems terminating my journey short at Inverness on a Tweedbank-Nairn (Anytime Single) ticket and visa versa i.e. starting at Inverness on a Nairn-Tweedbank should there ?
There shouldn't be - you haven't done anything underhanded or illegal. As Yorkie said, that was the price for the ticket at the time you bought it.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I had no bother a couple of weeks ago travelling on the northbound Highland Chieftain with a £1 Tweedbank to Kyle of Lochalsh ticket.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I attracted two comments from staff on ScotRail services from using these tickets.

A Kildonan-Eskbank ticket from Blair Atholl to Pitlochry attracted a puzzled look from the guard. I told her that it was some glitch in the system that had produced some very cheap fares and that it was well known. 'Fair enough I suppose' was the response.

A Kyle-Tweedbank ticket from Linlithgow to Edinburgh attracted a comment of 'How do you get all the way from Kyle today?' I just laughed and said 'I didn't mate, started short at Newtonmore' and off he went.

Bizarrely, Stow-Nairn being used as a split ticket between Edinburgh and Glasgow attracted no comments at all (ending it short at Croy), just a smile from the guard! I'd have thought it would have puzzled him just a little!

najaB

Veteran Member
Bizarrely, Stow-Nairn being used as a split ticket between Edinburgh and Glasgow attracted no comments at all (ending it short at Croy), just a smile from the guard! I'd have thought it would have puzzled him just a little!
Perhaps it was reb0118. :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yeah the guard probably was aware of the loophole :lol:

djpontrack

I used three £1 tickets a couple of weeks ago without any problems from staff. The first ticket I used was from Neilston to Tweedbank, unfortunately it wouldn't operate the ticket barriers at GLC or EDB but the staff did check the ticket and let me through. Later on I used the second ticket to INV on the down Highland Chieftain, the guard looked at my ticket and smiled and said thank you. Ticket number three was the next morning on the up Highland Chieftain back to EDB on the same HST, again with no problems.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm aware of someone who has been using quite a few of these in the last few days, including the Chieftain, and has not even had a second glance.

I myself have also used them and once it was clear that a small gap was filled with a separate ticket I also had no bother.

crehld

Established Member
Used these on the new borders railway on Thursday. No problems whatsoever. One guard even drew a smiley face on one of the tickets :)

djpontrack

When I travelled from Galashiels back to Edinburgh, the guard said she had seen a lot of £1 tickets including a family from the Galashiels area that went to Nairn for a few days just because they managed to obtain £1 tickets.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I have used a small stack of excellent value tickets such as the ones you speak of recently. Not one person has so much as passed comment on them, including at least 3 VTEC guards.

scottishchris

Used a few without problems-went Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy on one Tweedbank-Kyle ticket, forgot I was using it and managed to completely confuse myself when the guard told me to change at Kirkcaldy!

I also used another set (with the 16-25 discount of course!:D) to get to Wick and back from Markinch once. Train from Wick to Inverness was late, the last train up to Perth had gone so I was put on the sleeper. Guard on the sleeper let me know I'd never have made it to Tweedbank even if things had gone to plan, so I told him of my plans to "break the journey overnight at Markinch." 5 minutes later, back he comes to tell me to get off at Perth where a taxi would be waiting! Not bad for 65p!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I think the OP's already travelled but if anyone else is a bit worried about these tickets being accpeted on train, they may wish to take a printout of this twitter exchange from a couple of months back where Scotrail confirmed these tickets would be honoured. (Make sure you read the twitter exchange all the way to the end as initially Scotrail tried to weasel out of honouring them!)

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2421304&postcount=48

That said, when I used mine on the Borders line last month, the various conductors who inspected my tickets either didn't notice or weren't bothered about the absurdly low price!

Status
Not open for further replies.