• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Öresund bridge, 20 years today

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

Today it is exactly 20 years since the Öresund bridge between Copenhagen and Malmö was opened. It was a pretty controversial project at the time but I think there are few who still think it was a bad idea.

It was hardly a new idea either, the first formal application for a rail line across the strait was sent to Denmark and Sweden in 1866. And after more serious planning, the Swedish and Danish governments agreed to build a fixed link in 1991. It was built as a half tunnel/half bridge since there was concerns about the air quality in a tunnel that long and Copenhagen airport wasn't that happy about tall bridge pillars close to the airport.

In the beginning traffic was a bit sparse across the bridge. It opened a couple of months earlier than planned, so all Öresundståg dual voltage EMUs had not been delivered. To help a couple of Danish and Swedish DMUs where used for a while. There was also diesel hauled freight across the bridge since the Danish EGs where the only electric locos that could cross the bridge. Since then a lot of dual voltage vehicles have been delivered and SJ have rebuilt some X2000 to dual voltage, so there is no shortage of vehicles that can use the bridge. And it has been popular, the passenger numbers have far exceeded the forecasts and there is talk about a 2nd fixed link across the strait.

Not much to discuss, but I thought the longest railway bridge in Europe could be worth a thread on its birthday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I thought it opened in '98 - shows how much I know! Only flown over it so far but it certainly looks impressive from 36000 feet!

Last edited:

AndyPJG

I thought it opened in '98 - shows how much I know! Only flown over it so far but it certainly looks impressive rom 36000 feet!

Are you thinking of the Great Belt Fixed Link aka Storebælt Link which did open in 1998?

JonasB

If you had asked me a month ago I wouldn't be that sure either, but it has been mentioned a lot on the news today.

Öresundsbrokonsortiet, the company that manages the bridge has made a nice film about it also: (English subtitles available)

craigybagel

Established Member
I flew into Copenhagen airport in May 2000 and we flew over the Oresund link on approach - I remember the captain made an announcement telling people to look out for it, he seemed very proud of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.