• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 1/3 discount difference ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Studenttravel

My student rail card is going to run out so I was looking to get a network rail card to still get the 1/3 discount on tickets as I travel up to London frequently.

Out of interest I typed in the same date, time and destination with both cards and came up with dramatically different versions of a 1/3 off the price of a return ticket, how is that possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A Network Railcard cannot be used before 10am on weekdays. There is a minimum discounted fare of £13 on weekdays.

A 16-25 and 26-30 Railcard can be used at any time, subject to a minimum discounted fare of £12 on weekdays. There is no minimum fare with the 16-25 Railcard in July or August.

Also the Network Railcard can only be used in a defined geographical area whereas the 16-25 and 26-30 Railcards can be used nationwide.

mikeg

Established Member
Are your destinations wholly within the Network area? Also are you sure you're not falling foul of the differences in minimum fares?

Studenttravel

Are your destinations wholly within the Network area? Also are you sure you're not falling foul of the differences in minimum fares?

I'm within the network area. Remembering that you can not get discounts until after specific times using your rail cards I looked for return tickets for Colchester to London, same day and I tried after 9 am and after 10 am and returning in the same 6 hour period and got these prices from Trainline, Limitations on arriving an leaving does effect ticket price obviously I know but Full price ticket for after 9 am no discount £27.00 Student card £17.80 Network card ££27.00 (no discount before 10 am). I've then tried after 10 am no discount £24.00 Student rate £15.80 Network card rate £23.45. 45p discount is not a 1/3 off the price of a ticket. nor is £15.80 a 1/3 off of £24.00 it should be £16 I believe.

Just the double check all my number I went onto trainline and typed in all the arrival and departure times and the discount cards and the details on the website I noticed had changed... suddenly the first train after 10 am was no longer £24 full price but £36 same day, same time, same destination. I'm confused is a regular occurrence?

superjohn

An off peak day return is £35.50 which is £23.45 with either railcard discount (actually 34% rather than 1/3 which can make a small difference when rounded). These match some of the fares you quote but not others. There is no £27 walk up fare, with or without discount. Are you sure it is not showing advances when are the cheapest option? Network railcard discounts don’t apply to advances but 16-25 would.

My guess for your after 10am prices:
£24 = £12 advances both ways
£15.80 = the above advances with 34% 16-25 discount
£23.45 = Off peak Day Return with 34% Network discount.
Each would be the cheapest option for the details you entered.

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
There are some odd railcard discount applications when you scan through times on trainline based apps, I shall have a look to see if it is causing issues here and report back.

Edit : The issues that had been a problem for quite some time appear to have been fixed.

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
I'm within the network area. Remembering that you can not get discounts until after specific times using your rail cards I looked for return tickets for Colchester to London, same day and I tried after 9 am and after 10 am and returning in the same 6 hour period and got these prices from Trainline, Limitations on arriving an leaving does effect ticket price obviously I know but Full price ticket for after 9 am no discount £27.00 Student card £17.80 Network card ££27.00 (no discount before 10 am). I've then tried after 10 am no discount £24.00 Student rate £15.80 Network card rate £23.45. 45p discount is not a 1/3 off the price of a ticket. nor is £15.80 a 1/3 off of £24.00 it should be £16 I believe.

Just the double check all my number I went onto trainline and typed in all the arrival and departure times and the discount cards and the details on the website I noticed had changed... suddenly the first train after 10 am was no longer £24 full price but £36 same day, same time, same destination. I'm confused is a regular occurrence?
Most likely all the prices are correct, confusing though it may be. Unless you provide clearer details - specifically, the exact dates of travel, the exact times of the trains, the exact names of the tickets (such as “Super Off-Peak Day Return” or “Advance Single”), the exact route description (such as “Any Permitted”) and the passengers and railcards involved, it’s going to be impossible to give any more of an answer than superjohn has already provided. People will help explain in detail when you do provide this info though!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Bear in mind that there are 4 different walk up fares between Colchester and London Terminals:

Anytime Day Return
Off Peak Return
Off Peak Day Return
Super Off Peak Day Return

Then there are 3 One Day Travelcards:
Anytime
Off Peak
Super Off Peak

All of these can be discounted with a Network Railcard if travel is afternoon 10:00 on weekdays or any time at weekends.

There are also Advance single fares available but these cannot be discounted with a Network Railcard.

Studenttravel

An off peak day return is £35.50 which is £23.45 with either railcard discount (actually 34% rather than 1/3 which can make a small difference when rounded). These match some of the fares you quote but not others. There is no £27 walk up fare, with or without discount. Are you sure it is not showing advances when are the cheapest option? Network railcard discounts don’t apply to advances but 16-25 would.

My guess for your after 10am prices:
£24 = £12 advances both ways
£15.80 = the above advances with 34% 16-25 discount
£23.45 = Off peak Day Return with 34% Network discount.
Each would be the cheapest option for the details you entered.

Hi

Thanks For your information, I apricate your help. My Student card has just expired but I put it in to see what the price difference was with the Network rail card. I've graduated but when I go back to Uni once the Network rail card expires I'll definitely be getting a new student card. I looked for that £27 ticket but couldn't find it either but it was there, I'd opened up so many screens then closed them that I couldn't find it again. Thank you.

Studenttravel

Bear in mind that there are 4 different walk up fares between Colchester and London Terminals:

Anytime Day Return
Off Peak Return
Off Peak Day Return
Super Off Peak Day Return

Then there are 3 One Day Travelcards:
Anytime
Off Peak
Super Off Peak

All of these can be discounted with a Network Railcard if travel is afternoon 10:00 on weekdays or any time at weekends.

There are also Advance single fares available but these cannot be discounted with a Network Railcard.

Hi Thanks you for your reply, its much apricated.

Status
Not open for further replies.