• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 1st Hornby loco you ever got

Status
Not open for further replies.

2561Minoru

What was the 1st one you ever got.

The 1st and only one i have is an LNER B12 4-6-0 with 2 coaches which i got for christmas around 2004/05 at the age of either 9 or 10

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNER 373

Got to be a Class 31 passed down from my uncle, but actually bought for me a Intercity 225 set around 1993-94 time! Still have it too although not in it's box!

Supersaint

1976 a 2nd Hand Wrenn Class08 in Green then & Brand New Hornby Class 25 in BR Green Xmas 1978,still have both although both run rough.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I got a class 37 in BR blue, Xmas 1976!

Always wanted one,remember seeing these in "Betties" on offer around 1980-81 for £12 each,all unboxed but new !

mumrar

Established Member
Class 09 Shunter
My first OO models were at the same time. Somehow my parents had built a 6x4ft layout complete with scenery and point motors etc every night leading up to Christmas. They did it in their bedroom for months. On the day, me and my brother opened many trains, and the quote from me that made my Mom cry was 'silly Father Christmas, doesn't he know we don't have a trainset?'

The loco I remember most was a BR Blue Class 45 made by mainline.

Needless to say, when we went downstairs for breakfast the level of screaming and excitement was defeaning.

Eng274

My first OO models were at the same time. Somehow my parents had built a 6x4ft layout complete with scenery and point motors etc every night leading up to Christmas. They did it in their bedroom for months. On the day, me and my brother opened many trains, and the quote from me that made my Mom cry was 'silly Father Christmas, doesn't he know we don't have a trainset?'

Needless to say, when we went downstairs for breakfast the level of screaming and excitement was defeaning.

What a great story!

My first Hornby loco was on my 7th birthday, way back in 1993. It was a Intercity 225 train set, with the basic oval track. Loco was the simple un-named non-pantographed 91014, can't recall the coach or DVT numbers. It eventually died through overuse :(

To recapture my adoration for the class 91 i bought a used GNER 225 set a couple of years ago, which (true to real life) toiled for a while then died due to neglect by its previous owner. Will be taking it to a model shop to get it fixed at some point.

Dreadnought

My first one was 37130 and a rake of blue and grey coaches in the very early 80s.

I remember going out on spotting trips looking for it and finally seeing it on a freight in the North East when I was about 9 or 10. I know I also saw it as 37681 before it was unfortunately scrapped after losing a fight with of all things a 144 unit (which is still going to this day!).

GNER 373

That's Fantastic! What great parents! Gonna use that one with my kids! Well it's an excuse to build a layout without the wife bending my ear! It's for the kids I will protest! :)

Elec_Engr

That's Fantastic! What great parents! Gonna use that one with my kids! Well it's an excuse to build a layout without the wife bending my ear! It's for the kids I will protest! :)

That's the wonderful thing about having a son - You can legitimately buy presents that 'your son wants' / spend time bonding with your son as opposed to going shopping etc...

Works for me!

O L Leigh

Established Member
I had the APT set which I supplemented with a green Cl47 with illuminated headcode and the name "Mammoth", some B&G Mk2's and a couple of wagons.

The APT was a Christmas present the same year it was launched (1984...?). I'd seen it on Blue Peter and asked if I could have it. We were really hard up so my Mum must have scrimped and saved in order to get it for me. I remember the set came with a 14V controller rather than the normal 12V controller. I expect that's why I burnt out two motors in quick succession. Mind you, even with the tilting body you couldn't go very fast with it before it derailed.

O L Leigh

4SRKT

Established Member
Mine was a Dublo 3-rail Duchess of Atholl box set, which had been my father's and he gaveit to me when I was about 5. Too young really, as although it started a love affair with 3 rail that lasted many years and ended up in an extensive and lovingly cared for collection, the original set got totally trashed :(

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An 0-4-0 LMS tank similar to Smokey Joe in the Midland Belle freight set.

PaulLothian

First 00 was an 2-rail Dublo 08 green shunter (not that they were using TOPS in 1960). Very unreliable and my father negotiated a reasonable trade-in for a BR (ex-LNER) N2.

Prior to that I had a Hornby 0-4-0 clockwork loco to go with a load of old Hornby 0-gauge track and battered wagons acquired from a jumble sale for 5/- (25 pence for our younger forum members, but worth more then than now!) I still have it and some track somewhere in a cupboard, and restoring it is on my list of things to do when I retire!

Mickey Moggs

You can't remember what you had 4 or 5 years ago when you were 9 or 10. Lord help you when you reach my age!

Mine was a very basic 0-4-0 steam shunter that bore no resemblance to anything that ever ran on rails. But it got me hooked!

I think mine may have been Smokey Joe, but I did get an old second hand Lima steam loco (number 1000 rings a bell), a freight set with 58001 and a model of 58050 'Toton Traction Depot'.

I got them all in a quick period of time and can't remember what came first?

Foxhound

A blue 37 and a TriangHornby Hymek, D7063. Erm, 1980ish. Then I inherited a load of track and wagons from my Godparents, which included a black dock authority diesel shunter with working headlight. (Sadly, now a distant memory as it expired in flames some years later). Managed to buy some coaches off a sixth former at school, and I was away. Got married to a woman who decided to sell all my stuff...<(

Got divorced.

Gone N gauge now....:lol:

Established Member
I believe it was a Green 0-4-0 Tank loco with red wheels, came in a trainset called 'Industrial Freight' or something like that, way back in the late '90s

loco-mania

GWR Green Pannier Tank from my Dad in 1977. I now have well over 100 locos thanks mainly to eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.