• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2010s: How would you define it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In terms of the railway, I'm beginning to see the 2010's as a mini-golden age, at least before the 2018 timetable issue.

Yes, it was overcrowded, and there were a lot of timetable issues with early last trains etc, however the service seemed to be pretty reliable most of the time and there were some pretty good journeys to be had if you knew where and when to look.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It's surreal to think I was nine years old at the very beginning of this decade. Needless to say I'll remember the 2010s for being the most pivotal decade in my entire life. I've gone through secondary school and college, and am now slowly finding my way through the adult world. For me, I'll define it as a decade of personal growth above all else.

I'll never understand why people are so afraid of him.

The IET is a bigger thorn in my side than he'll ever be.

He's a racist, misogynist, man child who happens to be in charge of the most powerful country in the world. I fail to see how any sane person wouldn't be wary of him.

And what do you have against IETs? Or are you just upset they took away our beloved HSTs? Because I am too, but times change.

GrimShady

Established Member
He's a racist, misogynist, man child who happens to be in charge of the most powerful country in the world. I fail to see how any sane person wouldn't be wary of him.

And what do you have against IETs? Or are you just upset they took away our beloved HSTs? Because I am too, but times change.

And how does any of that affect you even if any of it's true? I just don't find the Trump Boogie Man frightening at all. Not that long ago everyone was crapping themselves with Bush and Reagan, same old same old.

IETs are a shockingly bad traveling environment. Uncomfortable, antiseptic rubbish. Plenty covered in other threads.

No I'm not bothered HSTs are going, machines get old.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I'll never understand why people are so afraid of him.

Not sure afraid is the right word. Worried is probably more accurate as far as my feelings go. As to why... Well, choosing to disbelieve the overwhelming scientific evidence on what is easily the most important issue facing humanity: CO2 emissions and Climate Change - would be a pretty huge one - and one that, assuming you're still alive in 10 or 20 year's time - is almost guaranteed to affect you far more than IETs ever will!

Add to that: Repeated propagation and normalisation of fake news, I'm pretty sure it's at least partly the result of Donald Trump's influence that fake news is becoming so big in the UK. The damage he's doing to our NATO military alliance, the cozying up to Russia and Putin (and if you don't think Putin is dangerous, just think about the Salisbury poisonings), his tendency towards isolationism and the opportunities that gives to potential terrorist groups (look at the Syria pullout for example). Those are all things that potentially could cause us problems in the UK.

Not sure afraid is the right word. Worried is probably more accurate as far as my feelings go. As to why... Well, choosing to disbelieve the overwhelming scientific evidence on what is easily the most important issue facing humanity: CO2 emissions and Climate Change - would be a pretty huge one - and one that, assuming you're still alive in 10 or 20 year's time - is almost guaranteed to affect you far more than IETs ever will!

Add to that: Repeated propagation and normalisation of fake news, I'm pretty sure it's at least partly the result of Donald Trump's influence that fake news is becoming so big in the UK. The damage he's doing to our NATO military alliance, the cozying up to Russia and Putin (and if you don't think Putin is dangerous, just think about the Salisbury poisonings), his tendency towards isolationism and the opportunities that gives to potential terrorist groups (look at the Syria pullout for example).

Well said.

And how does any of that affect you even if any of it's true? I just don't find the Trump Boogie Man frightening at all. Not that long ago everyone was crapping themselves with Bush and Reagan, same old same old.

IETs are a shockingly bad traveling environment. Uncomfortable, antiseptic rubbish. Plenty covered in other threads.

No I'm not bothered HSTs are going, machines get old.

As DynamicSpirit says, his inaction on climate change will certainly affect us. He has a far bigger influence on the UK than any of us would like to admit. We live in an era of globalisation, where every country in the western world looks to the US for guidance. Don't you think it's worrying having a man like him in that position?

GrimShady

Established Member

Add to that: Repeated propagation and normalisation of fake news, I'm pretty sure it's at least partly the result of Donald Trump's influence that fake news is becoming so big in the UK. The damage he's doing to our NATO military alliance, the cozying up to Russia and Putin (and if you don't think Putin is dangerous, just think about the Salisbury poisonings), his tendency towards isolationism and the opportunities that gives to potential terrorist groups (look at the Syria pullout for example). Those are all things that potentially could cause us problems in the UK.

Compared to living through the terror that was imminent nuclear destruction through the 80s climate change doesn't concern me as much.

The media has always been full of xxxx long before Mr Trump came along. As for Russia, maybe we should stop treating them as the enemy. The poisonings that took place makes it perfectly clear they'd be better off allies than the enemy.

Last edited:

GrimShady

Established Member
As DynamicSpirit says, his inaction on climate change will certainly affect us. He has a far bigger influence on the UK than any of us would like to admit. We live in an era of globalisation, where every country in the western world looks to the US for guidance. Don't you think it's worrying having a man like him in that position?

Nope no more so than any of the other clowns out there. See my post about the 80s.

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member

Well said
Compared to living through the terror that was imminent nuclear destruction through the 80s climate change doesn't concern me as much.
Well climate change concerns me. And if you were around in the 80s to remember that then the chances are you won’t be around to feel the worst impacts climate change will have. I will though, and judging by the posts from @coradiafan2000, he will too. So we’re allowed to be concerned about Mr Trump’s influence.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

As an actual real passenger, they are much much better to work on using a laptop than pretty much any other train going. Springy Mk 1 compartment seats are what I find uncomfortable...

GrimShady

Established Member
As an actual real passenger, they are much much better to work on using a laptop than pretty much any other train going. Springy Mk 1 compartment seats are what I find uncomfortable...

Thier actually not, not any better for using my 15.6 Asus Rog on than a Mallard solo table where I can use the full length of the table unlike the IET with its convex end.

Mallard coaches are pretty much superior in every way.

GrimShady

Established Member
Well said

Well climate change concerns me. And if you were around in the 80s to remember that then the chances are you won’t be around to feel the worst impacts climate change will have. I will though, and judging by the posts from @coradiafan2000, he will too. So we’re allowed to be concerned about Mr Trump’s influence.

Is he a racist, man child....proof?

Be concerned all you wish but climate change has been a fact of nature since the planet formed. Does human activity play a part...yes, is it the end of the world comparable to Nuclear Holocaust.....no.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Be concerned all you wish but climate change has been a fact of nature since the planet formed. Does human activity play a part...yes, is it the end of the world comparable to Nuclear Holocaust.....no.

The climate change that has been a fact of nature is change that takes place on a timescale of tens of thousands or millions of years - which gives species of life ample time to adapt. The climate change that is being caused by man is taking place on a scale of decades. That's a completely different scenario. The kind of climate change that we are causing with our CO2 emissions is nothing like anything that has been a 'fact of nature' in the history of Earth since humans have inhabited it.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I also lived through the 80s and I would say you're being misguided here because there is a huge difference: The threat of nuclear destruction was a terrible threat - but it was always a small possibility, not a certainty: Something that would be utterly terrible if it did happen, but which was never very likely to happen.

By contrast, climate change is absolutely definitely happening: It's a dead certainty. And it's already causing pretty big impacts. Look for example at the recent flooding in the NorthEast which so devastated the lives of many UK residents. Although it's generally impossible to pin down any single weather event on climate change, we do know that climate change is making extreme weather events such worse and more frequent - so we can be reasonably confident that those floods would not have happened (or at least, not been anything like so bad) if it wasn't for climate change.

fowler9

Established Member
Let's take a recent example:
Donald Trump tells 4 congresswomen of colour to "go back to their original countries". 3 of the 4 were born in the US.
Point proven. Anyone who doesn't think Trump is a serious worry... Well I'd be interested to hear why not. Every time he opens his mouth nonsense comes out, much like Johnson.

fowler9

Established Member
What the 2010's represent to me. I'm working more hours for less money in one of the wealthiest countries in the world doing the same job. Yeah maybe it is down to me to improve that but everywhere I look is the same, more work for less money. Home ownership is out of the question despite having a better job than my dad when he first bought a house. It's a mess.

GrimShady

Established Member
Let's take a recent example:
Donald Trump tells 4 congresswomen of colour to "go back to their original countries". 3 of the 4 were born in the US.

I'll have to concede that one Felix! That is a pretty bad one.

I'm not in the Trump hatred bandwagon so I rarely pay attention to him

GrimShady

Established Member
The climate change that has been a fact of nature is change that takes place on a timescale of tens of thousands or millions of years - which gives species of life ample time to adapt. The climate change that is being caused by man is taking place on a scale of decades. That's a completely different scenario. The kind of climate change that we are causing with our CO2 emissions is nothing like anything that has been a 'fact of nature' in the history of Earth since humans have inhabited it.

As i've said....yes it's a problem but not on the scale the extinction rebellion mob would have you believe.

I also lived through the 80s and I would say you're being misguided here because there is a huge difference: The threat of nuclear destruction was a terrible threat - but it was always a small possibility, not a certainty: Something that would be utterly terrible if it did happen, but which was never very likely to happen.

By contrast, climate change is absolutely definitely happening: It's a dead certainty. And it's already causing pretty big impacts. Look for example at the recent flooding in the NorthEast which so devastated the lives of many UK residents. Although it's generally impossible to pin down any single weather event on climate change, we do know that climate change is making extreme weather events such worse and more frequent - so we can be reasonably confident that those floods would not have happened (or at least, not been anything like so bad) if it wasn't for climate change.

It was never a small threat, let me assure you of that one. It was possibly the greatest threat this species had ever faced next to the 1919 flu pandemic. We came close to literally destroying the only known world with life in the universe, it was very, very likely to happen at one stage. Are you aware of the plans drawn up for UK (by us) after an exchange? They would chill you to the bone if so. The fact these things still exist I would argue is a much greater concern....another standoff is only round the corner.

I'm not convinced entirety that the modern "freak weather" is any different to what went on in the past. Old news clips on youtube are an excellent source of information regarding this. It's the same stuff every year, "never used to be like this" "oh it must be global warming". While there's evidence of a slow warming since the industrial period weather is still very much weather. UK has always had a strange cycle mainly due to the Gulf Stream. Lets not forget the number of ever increasing houses built on flood plains, the Humber estuary for example.

Last edited:

hooverboy

On Moderation

the damage he's doing to the NATO alliance??
1)he has (quite rightly) stated that the US is carrying a disproportionately large share of the burden of defence..and some countries are not pulling their weight.

2) as far as europe is concerned,he wants a europe WITHIN NATO, not a breakaway faction doing it's own operations/agenda...ie not the monet plan for europe,as a counterweight(read competition) to the US.
he's basically said, right, if you want independent EU, then you fund it all yourself militarily, nothing to do with us.

3)looks like macron and merkel are doing the cozying up to putin. with germany it's obviously because of the nordstream pipeline and natural gas supplies.

4) he doesn't believe in "open doors" immigration the way the EU does, he sees it as a route through for potential terrorists.Again unpopular as it may seem, I think he will also be ultimately proven correct.

as for living in an era of globalisation, I wouldn't be too sure.
I read it as a simmering cauldron of neo nationalism brewing.
There's quite a lot of countries now taking a long hard look at the past few decades,and thinking "actually we've had quite a bum deal out of this haven't we?"

..read brexit,yellow vest, afd, pegida,the oathkeepers from the right
..and golden dawn etc in greece coming in from the left

Last edited:

GrimShady

Established Member
Point proven. Anyone who doesn't think Trump is a serious worry... Well I'd be interested to hear why not. Every time he opens his mouth nonsense comes out, much like Johnson.

Bush was a bigger issue than he will ever be, lets not forget the hell Bush and Blair unleashed on this world which is still ongoing.

"Fake News" has always existed since the days of the printing press, it's called propaganda.

The proliferation of identity politics is a real problem, something which all the parties are at right now. It never ends well!

Trump's going to win the next election like it or not.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Bush was a bigger issue than he will ever be, lets not forget the hell Bush and Blair unleashed on this world which is still ongoing.

"Fake News" has always existed since the days of the printing press, it's called propaganda.

The proliferation of identity politics is a real problem, something which all the parties are at right now. It never ends well!

Trump's going to win the next election like it or not.
if you think trump's bad just wait for president pence!!!!
At least with trump you know most of it is brovado.
throw him the bones of a deal and a way to look good and massage the ego then it's all good.

as for pence,he's bush and blair on steroids!
every bit as fanatical in his belief system as ISIS...and won't at all care what the consequences are,or how unpopular he looks.

in his own head he's right and everybody else is sub human/infidel etc etc.

GrimShady

Established Member
if you think trump's bad just wait for president pence!!!!
At least with trump you know most of it is brovado.
throw him the bones of a deal and a way to look good and massage the ego then it's all good.

as for pence,he's bush and blair on steroids!
every bit as fanatical in his belief system as ISIS...and won't at all care what the consequences are,or how unpopular he looks.

in his own head he's right and everybody else is sub human/infidel etc etc.

Yip fully agreed. Clintons another one these types that earnestly believes in her destiny and the the only one with a superior moral character, a lethal concoction, much like Blair.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
As i've said....yes it's a problem but not on the scale the extinction rebellion mob would have you believe.

I don't actually get my knowledge of climate change from Extinction Rebellion (which has some pretty unrealistic demands) - I tend rather to rely on stuff that scientific organisations say.

It was never a small threat, let me assure you of that one. It was possibly the greatest threat this species had ever faced next to the 1919 flu pandemic. We came close to literally destroying the only known world with life in the universe, it was very, very likely to happen at one stage. Are you aware of the plans drawn up for UK (by us) after an exchange? They would chill you to the bone if so. The fact these things still exist I would argue is a much greater concern....another standoff is only round the corner.

I think you're missing the point. Yes, a nuclear war was a huge threat..... IF it happened, and there was no guarantee it would happen. And I'd argue it was never really very likely to happen because actually the Governments on both sides did have a pretty good sense of self preservation. But the point is, it was never a certainty - so the fact that it didn't happen in the end, and we managed to carry on living just fine without being annihilated in a nuclear war is not a reason to start discounting the threat of something like climate change - which really is guaranteed to happen and to be very severe if we don't seriously start reducing CO2 emissions.

I'm not convinced entirety that the modern "freak weather" is any different to what went on in the past.

Sorry, but that's equivalent to saying that you're not convinced by decades of careful scientific research and an overwhelming consensus amongst the scientific community. I appreciate that news media is not always reliable and it can therefore be worth being sceptical about what popular mass media says. But the concerns about climate change - and specifically the impact on 'freak weather' really does come from reputable scientific sources.

As an example, look at this page from the Royal Society - which is definitely not the kind of organisation that is likely to exaggerate stuff, or to publish stuff without doing extensive checking for accuracy first. Map B on that page shows an increased risk of flooding due to climate change that covers most of Northern Europe, including the UK (although the map is on too small a scale to identify specific areas within the UK).

RealTrains07

Established Member
The 2010s... the decade where the railways went wrong

thats how i would sum it up

scotrail158713

Established Member
The 2010s... the decade where the railways went wrong

thats how i would sum it up
In some parts. Local(ish) to me the Borders line has re-opened, and that’s definitely been a success.
Last summers timetable change, for example, went badly wrong though - so you’re right in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.