• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2019 General Election Result and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We've talked about how we might vote! We've discussed the campaigns, the policies and our how my opinion is better than yours! And we had an abortive attempt to even have a discussion of how we actually voted (sorry about that but we definitely didn't need three threads :lol:)!

But all that is now in the past and it's time to drawn a line under it all, knuckle down and wade into the swampy aftermath of a delightful general election!

The polls are minutes away from closing and the exit poll is expected imminently which will give us some idea of how things have gone. Then there's the exciting race to see whether Sunderland South can regain their crown as first constituency to declare or whether Newcastle Central will cling on. And I guess at some point there'll be some sort of thing about who is going to form the next Government or something.

To get us rolling how about a question? With David Dimbleby retiring will you be watching the BBC coverage of the election result with Huw Edwards or will people be defecting to Sky News who can boast to have John Bercow as celebrity attendee to their coverage?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
To quote for when it gets changed

The survey taken at UK polling stations suggests the Tories will get 368 MPs - 50 more than at the 2017 election - when all the results have been counted.

Labour would get 191, the Lib Dems 13, the Brexit Party none and the SNP 55.

The Green Party will still have one MP and Plaid Cymru will lose one seat for a total of three, the survey suggests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50765773

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Poor old Stanley Johnson trying to defend the indefensible on C4. :D

dgl

Established Member
And unfortunately it'll be too late when voters realise the big mistake they made.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Looks like a complete rejection of Corbyn's Labour, as predicted. He must go; he hasn't laid a glove on Johnson and Johnson is an utterly appalling candidate.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If it’s true, labour have been warned with Corbyn
I expected this, but not as much as the exit poll has predicted.
Labour will be looking for a new leader this weekend then. Corbyns firework exploded at the last election and has slowly floated back to Earth ever since.

Established Member
That exit poll makes truly blessed reading. Some common sense might finally return to this country, against all the odds!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's a massive shock

no it isn't. Corbyn is toxic. I am really worried that solid labour seats in the North East will turn Tory on the back of getting brexit done.

Looks like a complete rejection of Corbyn's Labour, as predicted. He must go; he hasn't laid a glove on Johnson and Johnson is an utterly appalling candidate.

Agreed. Worse than Foot.

That exit poll makes truly blessed reading. Some common sense might finally return to this country, against all the odds!

righto.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s the truth of it.

dgl

Established Member
Common sense eh? Voting back in a party that has done nothing but bad things to the country, decimated the NHS and destroyed all the hard work Gordon Brown did to get the economy back on track after the crash. Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas.

Letting people like Boris win is never a good idea as it just inflates their own self-importance and unfounded visions of grandeur.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Even worse than I expected, but it just confirms my view that Militant Mark 2 (a.k.a. Momentum) + Jeremy Corbyn are unelectable. Until Labour accept that only moderate leftish policies (e.g. Tony Blair) win elections, I fear we with be lumbered with near-permanent tory governments.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
As a local government worker (and union member) with family who have various disabilities, I just know that if that exit poll is right, then I just know that the next 5 years are going to be even worse..

Gooner18

Common sense eh? Voting back in a party that has done nothing but bad things to the country, decimated the NHS and destroyed all the hard work Gordon Brown did to get the economy back on track after the crash. Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas.

Unfortunately labour having Corbyn in charge have only themselves to blame.

Established Member

Right away, you mean?

The machinations of the remain leaning left over the last few weeks have been amusing to say the least.

The wolf of democracy, scratching at the door for so long, now finally begins to bite :D.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That’s the truth of it.

We need a moderate Blairite (no phoney wars) Labour back. They might at least have a chance of taking Government next time round.

In the meantime we have a pathological liar and a hard Brexit :( :( :(

Maybe Scotland will have me when it declares independence?

nlogax

Established Member
While being interviewed by Andrew Neil, John McDonnell seems pretty resigned to this being a crap night for Labour. It's almost as though he's just realised that his leader is a total liability.

dgl

Established Member
Unfortunately labour having Corbyn in charge have only themselves to blame.
But as bad as Corbyn may be Johnson is much, much worse. Expect a messy EU exit, abolition of workers rights, tax cuts for the rich, and the sell off of the NHS to the highest bidder.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
While being interviewed by Andrew Neil, John McDonnell seems pretty resigned to this being a crap night for Labour. It's almost as though he's just realised that his leader is a total liability.

wants to the top job himself. The man looks shocked & shaken.

Howardh

Established Member
But as bad as Corbyn may be Johnson is much, much worse. Expect a messy EU exit, abolition of workers rights, tax cuts for the rich, and the sell off of the NHS to the highest bidder.
But they voted for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.