• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 442s continue to be phased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

In a more recent revelation to contibute to the dissaperance of 442s on the South West Mainline, Desiros are now being stationed at Bournemouth Depot. The 442s are to dissapear what seems quicker than it appears! :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Latest word on the matter on the SWT website was 14th November:

We will be replacing the 20 year old 442 train fleet on the Weymouth to Waterloo line with new modern Class 444 mainline Desiro trains. This replacement programme has already begun and will be completed in February 2007.

T

Tom

Desiro's have ALWAYS been stabled at Bournemouth... it's a major depot on the network!

Nathan

Yes, but more frequently now as a result. Just being observant :D

Nathan

This may mean i never see a 442 (havent yet and probbly never will)

Well with two units per week, they are getting rarer and rarer. Although i favour Desiros, i am going to miss the 442s. So get out there before its too late!

Coxster

Established Member
Let's hope we get a 442 during the London/Castle Cary/Weymouth/London jaunt next weekend!

Guinness

Established Member
Are these going to be shifted onto Brighton - Victoria services by Southern or are they going to be scrapped. The Traction gear is well over 50 years old now.

T

Tom

It's a huge debate Chaz, but it is rather suspicious that they are all coming back in SWT livery from Ilford...

I think we may be seeing a return of the 442s sometime later this year on SWT...

Nathan

It's a huge debate Chaz, but it is rather suspicious that they are all coming back in SWT livery from Ilford...

I think we may be seeing a return of the 442s sometime later this year on SWT...

Lets hope so, and that surprising coming from me!

Guinness

Established Member

Like the 458 decision early this year? Perhaps.

Although I thought that Mk3s had problems with clearance on the Brighton Mainline with tunnels and so forth, after all 442s bodyshells are based on Mk3s. That's why XC never operated HSTs apart from the rare diversion via Havant.

Something has to happen though, as 377s are desperately needed on some key peak routes to strengthen services from 8 Car to 12 car.

David

Established Member
I thought that Mk3s had problems with clearance on the Brighton Mainline with tunnels and so forth, after all 442s bodyshells are based on Mk3s. That's why XC never operated HSTs apart from the rare diversion via Havant.

IIRC, that was a problem with the bogies, that's why Virgin (and BR before them) ran 47 and mk 2s, then voyagers when they were withdrawn.

paul1609

Established Member
IIRC, that was a problem with the bogies, that's why Virgin (and BR before them) ran 47 and mk 2s, then voyagers when they were withdrawn.

HSTs with Short swing links bogies are cleared to and have run to Portsmouth Harbour.
442s are cleared and have run to Brighton.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The 442s use a different bogie to the Mk3s, the trailer bogies are identical to the trailer (outer) bogies on the 158s, and basically the same as the power (inner) bogies.
By the way, I don't know how anyone get's the idea the traction equipment on the 442s is well over 50 years old. It was taken from REPs, which were built in 2 batches, the first between 1966 and 1967, and a second batch in 1974. This makes the oldest around 40 years old, with some being just over 30 years old. That's not particularly old for electric traction equipment. Also, the 455s and 456s have even older traction equipment, since that was taken from HALs and EPBs, build in the 1950s, making it much older than that on the 442s.

theblackwatch

Established Member
By the way, I don't know how anyone get's the idea the traction equipment on the 442s is well over 50 years old. It was taken from REPs, which were built in 2 batches, the first between 1966 and 1967, and a second batch in 1974.

A good point - it's also worth noting that some of the REPs were only about 15 years old when withdrawn. The 442s are now around 18 years old. That's not to say they are past it at all though!

Status
Not open for further replies.