• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 87/2: A New Loco Given Same Class Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It definitely was intentional - the whole branding package was designed to hark back to the past - company name, crests, livery, interior design, etc. Later on they moved away from it a bit with the 'Mallard' refurbishment of the Mk4s and later the HSTs, and fitted a much more 'modern' looking interior.
Well I suppose they did try and convey historic connections quite a bit - emblazoning "ROUTE OF THE FLYING SCOTSMAN" on every carriage definitely suggests they were trying to make that clear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Well I suppose they did try and convey historic connections quite a bit - emblazoning "ROUTE OF THE FLYING SCOTSMAN" on every carriage definitely suggests they were trying to make that clear.
Don't forget that the HSTs I believe had brass GNER shields on the carriages while the MK4s I believe were vinyl.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Don't forget that the HSTs I believe had brass GNER shields on the carriages while the MK4s I believe were vinyl.
I know the whole fleet didn't receive the same treatment but I can't recall whether any Mk4s at all had them or not.

On Moderation
I know the whole fleet didn't receive the same treatment but I can't recall whether any Mk4s at all had them or not.
The first few Mark 4s to get them did get the cast version, but it was abandoned for vinyls because the interior had to be removed to add strengthening inside the bodyshell for the weight. The first nine HSTs (EC51-59) were much easier to do the strengthening as they were stripped down for C3X overhaul/refurbishment at Wolverton.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The first few Mark 4s to get them did get the cast version, but it was abandoned for vinyls because the interior had to be removed to add strengthening inside the bodyshell for the weight. The first nine HSTs (EC51-59) were much easier to do the strengthening as they were stripped down for C3X overhaul/refurbishment at Wolverton.
Thanks, I was reasonably sure some of the Mk4s did get the casts but it was discontinued - I thought it was first cost rather than structural reasons though but that would make sense.

Did they remove them from the Mk4s so-fitted or did those vehicles retain them throughout the GNER period?

DB

Did sets EC60-63 get the cast plates or vinyls?

pdeaves

Established Member
Thanks, I was reasonably sure some of the Mk4s did get the casts but it was discontinued - I thought it was first cost rather than structural reasons though but that would make sense.
At least part of the decision was to do with it being difficult to make a curved casting (to match the lower bodyside).

Anyway, this has got a long way from 87/2s!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
At least part of the decision was to do with it being difficult to make a curved casting (to match the lower bodyside).
I'd overlooked the different bodyshell profile.

Anyway, this has got a long way from 87/2s!
Indeed, so steering back to topic - something I've thought about was the redeployment and withdrawal of 87101.

It was redeployed to the Railfreight Sector and of course withdrawn arguably prematurely due to its unique nature, however given its control systems were like the Class 90 AND it could be driven (and usually was) in the same manner as a standard 87 was it really all that non-standard or was it more of an excuse to withdraw it?

If it had remained in the passenger sector would it have survived at least longer if not to this day?

Trackman

Established Member
Just going OT slightly, I've heard DVT's called class 82s.
I bite my tongue and don't challenge them.
'Dad, it's a class 82 up front!'

On Moderation
Don’t start me on that one. It’s an NZA!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd overlooked the different bodyshell profile.

Indeed, so steering back to topic - something I've thought about was the redeployment and withdrawal of 87101.

It was redeployed to the Railfreight Sector and of course withdrawn arguably prematurely due to its unique nature, however given its control systems were like the Class 90 AND it could be driven (and usually was) in the same manner as a standard 87 was it really all that non-standard or was it more of an excuse to withdraw it?

If it had remained in the passenger sector would it have survived at least longer if not to this day?
With the speed of development of power electronics, I would guess the devices used on the 90 were very different from those fitted to 87101 well over a decade earlier. This probably also means that 87101 would have suffered from component obsolescence, making it very difficult to obtain spare parts.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
With the speed of development of power electronics, I would guess the devices used on the 90 were very different from those fitted to 87101 well over a decade earlier. This probably also means that 87101 would have suffered from component obsolescence, making it very difficult to obtain spare parts.
So older electronics and part obsolescence; that is what's generally stated but you're never sure exactly how accurate non-specifics like that are when it's just a statement in print in books or on webpages.

Given the motors were essentially the same and in advanced mode it behaved as a 90 would it just sort of suggest it might be more closely related than suggested but not the case then

xotGD

Established Member
Worse than that - some people round here count them for 'haulage'!

randyrippley

Established Member

Probably not.......don't forget Virgin handed back the three 86/1 early as "non standard" despite being fitted with class 87 electricals.
If they were unwanted, 87101 had no chance

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Probably not.......don't forget Virgin handed back the three 86/1 early as "non standard" despite being fitted with class 87 electricals.
If they were unwanted, 87101 had no chance
Fair point, odd overlooked the situation with the 86/1s. Taking that into consideration I suppose 87101's chances were pretty slim

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I think the black/white cab styling helped a little - the actual InterCity livery started behind the cab. What has always looked really odd to me though is the Mk 4 DVT - it's like someone took the Class 91 nose cone and attached it to a Mark 4 coach because the cab windows are at a different angle to the rest of the nose, so it creates an angle. It just seems to protrude oddly. Add in the horns being below the lights (rather than between them) and the cable covers for the TDM cables that had small recesses. It just looked messy. Whereas whilst a Mk 3B DVT doesn't look like a Class 90 the styling seems much more cohesive. Personal taste I know!

da5f48c791e55c92fdbcec02e45d05d9.jpg

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/24206916726849411/

6b0a34d011742c3e40915d1242cfcbb0.jpg

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/635992778608618753/

50711869847_91b7484afb.jpg

https://farm66.static.flickr.com/65535/50711869847_91b7484afb.jpg
The Mk 3B DVT look more like a 91 than the Mk 4 DVT! Especially with Virgin era silver grilles

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I don't see it personally, the more raked cab of the Mk4 DVT matches the 91 profile more closely to my eyes
To me, I think it's the headlight clusters and the dimensions and "straightness" of the front end looks like the 91 whereas, as someone mentioned, the Mk 4 DVT has a steeper windscreen than it seems it should!

Certainly the Mk 3 DVT us more like a 91 than the 90s it was designed for use with. With the more raked slope, full width rather than tapered sides to the nose, and silver grilles.

DVT%2B82127.JPG

1200px-Kings_Cross_-_LNER_91125_ecs.JPG

2003-0205-M.jpg

hexagon789

Veteran Member
To me, I think it's the headlight clusters and the dimensions and "straightness" of the front end looks like the 91 whereas, as someone mentioned, the Mk 4 DVT has a steeper windscreen than it seems it should!

Certainly the Mk 3 DVT us more like a 91 than the 90s it was designed for use with. With the more raked slope, full width rather than tapered sides to the nose, and silver grilles.

DVT%2B82127.JPG

1200px-Kings_Cross_-_LNER_91125_ecs.JPG

2003-0205-M.jpg
I'm still not seeing it, maybe my brain has been conditioned to subconsciously match the 91 and Mk4 DVT no matter what! :lol:

(I suppose we all perceive things slightly differently as well to add into the bargain.)

Gloster

Established Member
NZA is a TOPS code, which provides both a standard system for use with the TOPS system and a consistent system for more general use. Using the TOPS code makes things much clearer as to what vehicles are being referred to, rather than a mishmash of varying letter combinations.

N is the letter for all Non-passenger carrying coaching stock (NPCCS), Z indicates the sub-type of NPCCS and A is the brake type, in this case Air only.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
DVT is just an abbreviation for Driving Van Trailer.
Just as BG is for Brake Gangwayed and RMB for Restaurant Miniature Buffet but they are still codes which were applied to carriage data panels and were used in carriage working books before TOPS codes

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Just as BG is for Brake Gangwayed and RMB for Restaurant Miniature Buffet but they are still codes which were applied to carriage data panels and were used in carriage working books before TOPS codes
But DVT wasn't a telegraphic code or a pre-TOPS code. DVTs post-dated both the demise of the telegraph and the introduction of TOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.