• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The aftermath of porridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I was trying to find the old Scott's Porage Oats advert that I remember from childhood. Instead I found this, a young lass getting her oats and an eyeful! (Safe for work)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
...but of course it's gonna turn into open warfare and a thousand-post thread about how to cook/eat porridge...
Did you really expect anything different where such a controversial topic is concerned? Next you're going to ask if it's cream on jam or jam on cream...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did you really expect anything different where such a controversial topic is concerned? Next you're going to ask if it's cream on jam or jam on cream...
Er that’s actually not a question...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If you told me how I should have my steak cooked, I'd tell you to do one. I don't see why porridge should be any different. ;)

I was being deliberately flippant, I'd much rather people made it how they liked it and enjoyed it than made it a very specific way all the time. ;)

najaB

Veteran Member
Er that’s actually not a question...
What?! Forget chicken or egg, Han or Guido, or Kirk vs Piccard... It is the question: when preparing scones for an afternoon tea do you put cream first and then jam on top, or do you do it the other way round?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Cornmeal at Mums. Ready Brek at Nan's (sometimes chocolate Ready Brek).

Porridge Oats should only be used in flapjacks !!

If you really must have 'Traditional Porridge Oats' Oat so Simple (disposable pots) seem to be popular at my depot.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What?! Forget chicken or egg, Han or Guido, or Kirk vs Piccard... It is the question: when preparing scones for an afternoon tea do you put cream first and then jam on top, or do you do it the other way round?
Cream first NajaB. We’re not animals.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
On my favourite cheese scones, neither.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Cornmeal at Mums. Ready Brek at Nan's (sometimes chocolate Ready Brek).

Porridge Oats should only be used in flapjacks !!

If you really must have 'Traditional Porridge Oats' Oat so Simple (disposable pots) seem to be popular at my depot.
No! Porridge oats should, funnily enough, be used for porridge. :D
Although they are also very nice in flapjacks :D

SteveP29

In danger of going seriously off-topic here, but it is important that children are taught life-skills. As children, me and my siblings each had to do the washing up once a week. If you don't learn from experience, how are you ever going to know about putting bowls in soak rather than let the porridge or whatever harden all day?

Absolutely, we had to cook and wash up when we went to scout camp, it taught us those skills and yes, I also had to help my mother on occasion at home.
Stepkids have been told multiple times over the 10 years I've been with their mother and it seems to go in one ear and out the other, one of them works in a well known sandwich shop and does dishes there but still doesn't put that into practice at home.

A frequent question that pops up on my favourite bands Facebook page is what colour packet should Cheese & Onion crisps be in

Han or Guido,

Did you mean Greedo, as in who shot first?

Apologies for all for taking this further off topic.

Howardh

Established Member
Well it's porridge day again; but this morning I poured a touch of olive oil into the pan first and spread it around the bottom and sides, and that worked a treat! Didn't distaste the porridge either.

najaB

Veteran Member
Well it's porridge day again; but this morning I poured a touch of olive oil into the pan first and spread it around the bottom and sides, and that worked a treat! Didn't distaste the porridge either.
Olive oil? I'm surprised you didn't taste it. Peanut or rice bran oils would seem better suited.

Howardh

Established Member
Olive oil? I'm surprised you didn't taste it. Peanut or rice bran oils would seem better suited.
I'm used to olive oil, so don't notice in small quantities I suppose. The porridge also had sugar and a touch of jam in it masking any other taste!

Status
Not open for further replies.