• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "And in other news..." thread

Coventry HAS JUST WON the 2021 UK City of Culture!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

Coventry has been chosen to be the UK's City of Culture for 2021.

The bid team said their plans were "about changing the reputation of a city" as well as hosting a year of cultural celebration.

The title is awarded every four years and Coventry will hope to emulate the success of Hull, which is UK City of Culture this year.

The other places in the running for the title were Swansea, Paisley, Stoke-on-Trent and Sunderland.

Arts minister John Glen said it was "an incredible opportunity for Coventry to boost investment in the local economy, grow tourism and put arts and culture centre stage".

He said: "In 2017 I have seen the truly transformative effect this prestigious title has had on Hull.

"The city has embraced City of Culture and in doing so has demonstrated how culture, the arts and heritage can bring communities together. I look forward to seeing what Coventry has in store in 2021."

THIS is going to be a very big thing for the West Midlands and is a major scoop by Andy Street; the West Mids Mayor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Congratulations on being judged as needy of regeneration as Derry and Hull. ;)

Spend the money wisely!
Just being pedantic but Hull and Derry were European City Of Culture as was Liverpool. :)

In other news an internet prankster in Wolverhampton cemented his head in a microwave and had to be rescued by the fire brigade.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just being pedantic but Hull and Derry were European City Of Culture as was Liverpool. :)

In other news an internet prankster in Wolverhampton cemented his head in a microwave and had to be rescued by the fire brigade.

I saw that as well. If I was the fireman dealing with that I’d have been tempted to plug it in and select the ‘quick cook numpty setting’.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Perhaps unsurprising to many users, the Internet really does work over a piece of wet string.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42338067
Engineers at a small British internet service provider have successfully made a broadband connection work over 2m (6ft 7in) of wet string.

The connection reached speeds of 3.5Mbps (megabits per second), according to the Andrews and Arnold engineer who conducted the experiment.

r37

A little out of date, I was going to post it earlier but it slipped my mind!

Man’s ear bitten on train because his friend was talking too loudly on the phone: http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/14/mans-ear-bitten-train-friend-talking-loudly-phone-7160803/

A train passenger was left with a nasty cut to his ear after being bitten by another man following an altercation in a carriage.

A manhunt is under way to find the man behind the attack, which happened on the 11.40pm Southern Rail service between London Bridge and Peckham Rye. The victim told British Transport Police that the man became annoyed that the victim’s friend was speaking loudly on the phone. The passengers began arguing, during which the man leaned over and bit the victim’s ear, police said. When he eventually stopped biting the man, he casually returned to his seat and sat down.

Police added that the victim and his friend left the train at Peckham Rye on Friday October 6. The victim needed to go to hospital to treat the deep cut on his right ear.

A rather strange and disturbing story!

Darandio

Established Member
Some would argue that this isn't anything new, parasites have been invading the Houses of Parliament for a 1000 years.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-42556079/parasites-invading-houses-of-parliament

Parasites invading Houses of Parliament

A bed bug expert says an infestation of the insects in people's homes has been traced back to the Houses of Parliament.

Managers at Westminster say urgent action has been taken to tackle the parasites, which live in upholstery as well as bedding.

Bed bugs are not dangerous, but can cause itchy red bites.

Darandio

Established Member
Had to chuckle at this one, especially when he says “My mum thought it might be North Korea.” :lol: The North Koreans would have to be making quite a noise to be heard in Liverpool!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/what-mystery-noise-over-kirkby-14256961

A teenager recorded this loud siren blasting out across Kirkby after being woken by the weird sound early this morning.

Lewis Lafferty, 17, was so alarmed by the odd noise, which began at around 6am and which he said reminded him of air raid sirens and humming sounds, that he recorded it on his mobile phone.

Although the sound on the recording is relatively quiet Lewis insisted that in reality it was much louder.

He said: “It started off slow like a World War Two siren, but after a few minutes it began to go up higher until it was getting really high-pitched.

“There was also a hovering sound nearby - like humming - which must have gone on for about 20 to 30 minutes. It sounded like it was coming from above.

“It was weird, especially at that time.

“My mum thought it might be North Korea.”

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In news I am more than delighted about, 3 mugs who viciously assaulted my twin in August 2016 and were his apparent friends were sent down for 5 years at Her Majesty's Pleasure last Wednesday: https://www.expressandstar.com/news...pton-thugs-beat-friend-unconscious-over-debt/

Patrick Lane, Daniel Rotchelle and Damon Stuart joined together in their plot to beat Keanu Hawker so they could get hold of cash he allegedly owed.

The three denied causing grievous bodily harm to their victim but were convicted after trial. They were each sentenced to five-year jail terms....

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In news I am more than delighted about, 3 mugs who viciously assaulted my twin in August 2016 and were his apparent friends were sent down for 5 years at Her Majesty's Pleasure last Wednesday: https://www.expressandstar.com/news...pton-thugs-beat-friend-unconscious-over-debt/
That’s awful. I hope your brother is on the mend.
Having worked with people with brain injuries in the past I maintain that stamping on or kicking someone’s head during a fight is beyond GBH. I think it’s almost attempted murder. It’s certainly attempted disabling.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t know how to link it (especially on this phone), but I just read on Sky News that the Beano have issued a cease and desist letter to Jacob Rees-Mogg ordering him to stop impersonating the style of Walter the Softy... :lol:

StoneRoad

I don’t know how to link it (especially on this phone), but I just read on Sky News that the Beano have issued a cease and desist letter to Jacob Rees-Mogg ordering him to stop impersonating the style of Walter the Softy... :lol:

I heard the tail end of that on the radio news about an hour ago, and nearly drowned my keyboard with coffee. After I stopped choking / laughing I then had to explain why ... and nearly had a repeat showing ...

341o2

Established Member
Bournemouth council needs to commission and test new litter bins before they can be used. How do you test a litter bin?
“Every one of the new bins had notices reading ‘do not use – out of action’. Can you believe it? There were masses of people at the beach on Monday due to how hot the weather was,” he said.

Andrew Brown, seafront operations manager, said the bins were in the process of being commissioned and tested before use.

“Although now in place, the bins must be tested before they can be used which we are aiming to do so by mid June,” he said.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...eft_in___39_appalling__39__state/?ref=mr&lp=2

fowler9

Established Member
In the Guardian two lads got nicked at a McDonalds drive through in Catterick driving a golf cart.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The link talks about them being "new super-bins", without elaborating on what makes them "super" other than being five times bigger than normal ones and partly underground. I wonder if they have some sort of rubbish-compating mechanism as with some newish bins in Nottingham.