• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Apprentice 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Shame about this week's result, I thought JD had potential, but he definitely held the most responsibility for the failure of this week's task - not checking on your sub-team is a big no-no.

Butts

Veteran Member
Shame about this week's result, I thought JD had potential, but he definitely held the most responsibility for the failure of this week's task - not checking on your sub-team is a big no-no.

Sofiane who was not even in the Boardroom should have been fired.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I don't understand how a team was judged to have won.
The stunts were rubbish (no offense to the guy pretending to run people over), the marketing bad. What was good?

Next episode is one of my favourite tasks, find all the items for best price.
When profit is involved the winner is clear.

me123

Established Member
Sadly, I think the wrong team won. Don't get me wrong, both teams were truly dire this week (and last week, and the week before, and...) but the winning team's stunt... it looked like they'd escaped from an institution.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sadly, I think the wrong team won. Don't get me wrong, both teams were truly dire this week (and last week, and the week before, and...) but the winning team's stunt... it looked like they'd escaped from an institution.

Yes both teams were woeful again this week.

Welly

I've finally given up on that programme - worst collection of well-dressed numpties ever!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've finally given up on that programme - worst collection of well-dressed numpties ever!

I'm beginning to wish I'd given up before this series - there appears to be virtually nobody left in the process who combines a modicum of flair and entreprise with basic common sense. A duff bunch indeed.

me123

Established Member
I wouldn't mind if they were just hopeless (let's face it, that's why we watch) but they aren't all that interesting either.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I wonder how the candidates are chosen for the series. It does seem that a basic requirement is to have a few super-egotists included. Unfortunately they've gone too far in that direction with this series. Each episode has had me getting to a point during the task where I no longer care and start fast-forwarding to the pieces to camera from Karren or Claude before jumping along until reaching the boardroom. Sugar has certainly had some juicy comments to make but the cynic in me suspects that some of them are scripted.

underbank

Established Member
It's so bad now, it's as if the BBC are aiming to make out that business is somehow bad. As each series goes by, they make Alan more obnoxious with his comments. The candidates get worse and none ever have any real business skills - just arrogance, self importance, etc. There's also the tick box selection, i.e. the gay one, the black one, the asian one, the Irish one, the Lancashire/Yorkshire "thick" sounding one, the over-educated upper class twit one - the "types" are the same every series, just different faces. It's just unbelievably tedious now.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's so bad now, it's as if the BBC are aiming to make out that business is somehow bad. As each series goes by, they make Alan more obnoxious with his comments. The candidates get worse and none ever have any real business skills - just arrogance, self importance, etc. There's also the tick box selection, i.e. the gay one, the black one, the asian one, the Irish one, the Lancashire/Yorkshire "thick" sounding one, the over-educated upper class twit one - the "types" are the same every series, just different faces. It's just unbelievably tedious now.

Have they ever had a "raspberry" in a Chair ? - I don't remember that but stand to be corrected :idea:

Butts

Veteran Member

Always fatal to be publicly endorsed by me123 :p

Seriously as I've said before the whole process is flawed and as Rebecca said weaklings survive the process by being part of a winning team they may have contributed virtually nothing towards.

Has anyone got any ideas how to improve the show ?

How should the format be altered to weed out the chaff earlier ?

I'm suprised last week was not a multiple firing :idea:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Further to my post no. 41. The problem ISTM is that the candidates tend to come from one of two backgrounds. Either they have been successful running their own business, in which they are a big, or only, fish in a small pond, or they have been a successful manager but a long way down the hierarchy of a large organisation. This leaves them inexperienced in dealing with colleagues with similar talent/skills/expertise to themselves and so the concept of teamwork is somewhat alien to them. And so the egos kick in. It generally takes 3 or 4 tasks for this to hit home and most realise how they need to change their approach. This series has been bedevilled by a high level of egotism so it's taking longer for them to settle down. I notice the comments in the house after a boardroom have increasingly shown this realisation dawning on some of the candidates. On the plus side I managed the last episode without touching the fast forward button; then again the "scavenge hunt" is always entertaining.

Robinson

I don't think Rebecca need worry too much; the form book will undoubtedly go out of the window when it gets to the interviews...

me123

Established Member

:lol:

Well she's still the only one that's been even remotely likeable so far. But she did make quite a few mistakes as the process went on, mostly tactical mistakes I'd have to say.

I did love her tirade in the taxi :lol:

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
:lol:

Well she's still the only one that's been even remotely likeable so far. But she did make quite a few mistakes as the process went on, mostly tactical mistakes I'd have to say.

I did love her tirade in the taxi :lol:

And she was correct about far worse candidates than her sitting back and doing f all but surviving as part of a winning team :idea: This does become harder as the numbers diminish.

me123

Established Member
Special K has gone, along with Samuel. Correct choices, of course. That was a dire performance.

That said, it was interesting to see that this weeks losing team could potentially have won had the four speedboats the sales gone through (although thankfully they didn't). It's always odd in these tasks that the high end sales can fall through simply because of the customer's credit ratings. A bit unfair IMO that potentially good candidates could fail the tasks because of something outwith their control (although that wasn't the case this week).

Butts

Veteran Member
Special K has gone, along with Samuel. Correct choices, of course. That was a dire performance.

That said, it was interesting to see that this weeks losing team could potentially have won had the four speedboats the sales gone through (although thankfully they didn't). It's always odd in these tasks that the high end sales can fall through simply because of the customer's credit ratings. A bit unfair IMO that potentially good candidates could fail the tasks because of something outwith their control (although that wasn't the case this week).

Well it did liven up a bit tonight I agree with "Special K" being fired (notice how he didn't stay behind to greet the others)

Standby for a shock - contrary to popular belief that I am some sort of reincarnation of Eugene Terre'Blanche I think Samuel was extremely unlucky to be fired.

Confirming my misogyny that bimbo Alana should have been fired instead. :p

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Well it did liven up a bit tonight I agree with "Special K" being fired (notice how he didn't stay behind to greet the others)

Standby for a shock - contrary to popular belief that I am some sort of reincarnation of Eugene Terre'Blanche I think Samuel was extremely unlucky to be fired.

An entertaining boardroom this week with losing PM getting sacked without the chance to select fellow grillees. Samuel went because his repeated ignoring PM's instructions had destroyed his credibility with Sugar, certainly as far as integrity is concerned. I'm amazed Alana has survived this long but Claude and Karren keep saying that they believe she has some talent/skills but isn't displaying them (stop sniggering Butts!)

Frances did really well keeping Sofiane in check and could yet be a contender. I think Courtney needs to step up, he never looks convincing.

EssexGonzo

An entertaining boardroom this week with losing PM getting sacked without the chance to select fellow grillees. Samuel went because his repeated ignoring PM's instructions had destroyed his credibility with Sugar, certainly as far as integrity is concerned. I'm amazed Alana has survived this long but Claude and Karren keep saying that they believe she has some talent/skills but isn't displaying them (stop sniggering Butts!)

Frances did really well keeping Sofiane in check and could yet be a contender. I think Courtney needs to step up, he never looks convincing.

Couldn't agree more. Frances will go far - she had her end of things well under control and put Sofiane in his place. He is hollow and will be sacked before the interview stage - unless he's kept in to provide some entertainment during the interview stage!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Very pleased Karthik went. He was an appalling candidate from the outset. Hard to pick a winner at this stage. Grainne is a dark horse.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I agree with you on Samuel - Claude really seemed to have it in for him, and seems to influence Sugar more than he should. At least he sold the item and at the recommended price, not £5 dearer, which would have been sharp practice. Nick Hewer would never have agreed to that!

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
That last episode was great. I still can't believe that someone picked himself to return to the board room!

Established Member

Don't agree, I think he was the right person to be fired - we haven't really seen that much of him in the process and I think he was just lucky to have been on a winning side until this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.