• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The bad luck meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Manchester meet was a total shambles.

The organiser was ill so didn't turn up, others were too tired to turn up, and TPE said he waited at platform 3 instead of platform 5 because that's what Gareth told him (contrary to what is posted on the forum), he didn't think to look at platform 5 even when the train we planned to get arrived and then departed.

The mind boggles.

Anyway the rest of the meet was fine, until we changed our plan because Joy54 wanted to go to Hadfield. It finally turned up and departed over 20 minutes late, and got altered to Glossop only avoiding Hadfield. Having got this far Joy54 was determined to get to Hadfield to cover the line. We ended up going backwards and forwards a few times (long story) until we eventually covered the line. We ended up at Glossop 4 times!

I then decided to go back via the Hope Valley for a change.

This is what should have happened...
Manchester dep 1843
Sheffield arr 1936
Sheffield dep 1955
York arr 2040

This is what ACTUALLY happened....
Manchester dep 1843
Chesterfield (diverted) arr 2025
Chesterfield dep 2030
Doncaster arr 2124 (to find the last GNER was diverted via Lincoln and wouldn't be at Donny for an hour and a half!)
Doncaster dep 2132
Selby arr 2150
Selby dep 2228
York arr 2246

yes 4 hrs 3 mins for a journey that should have taken only 1 hr 57 mins!

I'm told the disruption around Sheffield was due to a failed Voyager.

http://yorkie.fotopic.net/p15906540.html

http://yorkie.fotopic.net/p15906544.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Galvanize said:
can I hear the whole report? PLEASE :lol:
What else is there to know? I wont write precise details. I don't like reports that go like "And then so and so went to the toilet, while Josh ate something which caused his jumper to have lots of crumbs on it, meanwhile someone asked me for the cheapest ticket combination to get from Cherry Tree to Peartree via Hag Fold and Etruria, so I told him...." ;) ;)

Nick

Seems this meet was a failure due to poor planning and orgisation. I must admit, I didn't even know it was on, if I did I suspect I would of gone.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nick said:
Seems this meet was a failure due to poor planning and orgisation. I must admit, I didn't even know it was on, if I did I suspect I would of gone.
Sort of yes and no.

It was originally planned and organised really well... until a week or so before the meet when alarm bells started to ring about the fact Gareth was unable to provide a mobile number. That had me very worried. My fear was confirmed when he had to cancel due to illness.

As a result of this, I am going to propose new forum meets guidelines.

Met Driver

Established Member
yorkie said:
As a result of this, I am going to propose new forum meets guidelines.

I think that is a very good idea.

Also, I think anyone who cannot supply a contact number should be considered as not going on the meet in question.

T

Tom

Forum meet (proposed guidelines)

Planning (for organisers)

When planning, you must keep in mind about people arriving from places over 100 miles away. You should be able to provide a mobile phone number a week before the meet.

If you are planning a meet, you should start the topic with [PROPOSED]. Once the plan is confirmed by a member of RailUK staff, we will change the topic to [CURRENT]. This is providing you meet the criteria in the requirements section.

Confirmation Requirements

• You should have already decided on a rough date before posting on the forum. If this is not decided, we may consider it to be locked and moved into the canned threads area. You should have a rough plan and also should be able to answer any questions about the meet.
  • You must also be able to have a forum regular, who is endorsing your meet. This person should be able to be the leader in the event of you not turning up.
  • In the event of the main organiser being ill, the second person will take full control over planning and organising the meet.
  • It is a requirement that ALL organisers have a mobile phone and are contactable at all times leading up to, and during, the meet. But the onus is on the participants to telephone the organiser, not the other way round. This is to lessen the burden on the organiser (including the financial burden).
  • You must also have a suitable meeting place organised (and it must be specific). A good example would be "at the entrance to platform 4 at Waterloo station"
Participating
  • Ensure you have the mobile phone number of both the main and secondary organisers, the onus is on you to telephone them. If your phone does not work you can use a payphone.
  • Also make sure that if you say you go, go.
  • Please ensure you have sufficient financial funding to go ahead.

Met Driver

Established Member
I agree with most of what is there.

It would be worth putting it in the forum meets section though ;) ;)

Nick

Agreed, these outlines seem fine, it may also be recommended to perhaps only allow people who ahve been met before to organise large meets or something so we know there responsible and are telling teh truth about themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.