• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The benefits of other countries Railways...

Status
Not open for further replies.

markskoda

At my local station a basic price per kilometre for second class travel is displayed on the wall. Currently 1.25 Czech Crowns. Approx 5 pence. This applies to any journey within the Czech Republic for one way travel. First class is 50% on top. A day return is valid from time of purchase to departures before midnight on the following day. You can therefore stay away overnight.
There are no peak fares. The timetable with just a handful of exceptions is the same on workdays and weekends and has been for 60 years. One can purchase a discount card giving 25%, 50% or 100% off all fares for a year. Called Inkarta it is available to all who pay the appropriate sum when applying. Children's fares are 50% of adult. There is a scheme called "Kilometricka Banka" on top of all fares where the passenger gets extra free travel according to kilometres clocked up over a year via swipe card.
Pendolino trains from Prague eastwards to Ostrava incur a small surcharge.
It's all so delightfully clear and easy compared to the complexity of booking in The U.K.
I have tried all the U.K. rail booking services for a variety of journeys and never found a saving of 5% let alone the claimed percentages. 43% and 51% for Trainline and Redspottedhanky respectively.
The Czech Rail timetable gives elapsed distances between stations and the tickets give the length of your journey. Trains are very clean if somewhat old fashioned but the whole network is undergoing massive modernisation.
All in all a better "offering" than in the U.K. The only gimmick or promotion I have seen is a twice yearly promotion with Lidl for a low priced ticket for any distance within CZ on public holidays.
It's a state run network characterised by feeder services from intermediate fast line stations by railcar to outlying communities. (Mountain areas by bus)
Beeching in reverse!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
I have tried all the U.K. rail booking services for a variety of journeys and never found a saving of 5% let alone the claimed percentages. 43% and 51% for Trainline and Redspottedhanky respectively.
The cheapest fares can sell out very quickly so you should try and book when they are first made available twelve weeks in advance.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The cheapest fares can sell out very quickly so you should try and book when they are first made available twelve weeks in advance.

I used to book Steeton & Silsden - London regularly (about once a week for about 2 years) - usually on the day they came out. Typically I'd pay about 25% of the Off-peak return fare for two advance tickets. If I booked a couple of weeks later I'd probably get them for about 60% of the price of an Off-peak return.

I wouldn't recommend the traniline as they charge extra fees.

I used to book Steeton & Silsden - London regularly (about once a week for about 2 years) - usually on the day they came out. Typically I'd pay about 25% of the Off-peak return fare for two advance tickets. If I booked a couple of weeks later I'd probably get them for about 60% of the price of an Off-peak return.

I wouldn't recommend the traniline as they charge extra fees.

My folks live in Silsden, so I'm regular a London KX to Steeton & Silsden traveller. I always use East Coast train web site for this route because:

• you'll always get the cheapest fare
  • they have an excellent seat selector for their services
  • you get a loyalty points

I loath the TrainLine, refuse to use their web site and find their 'choo-choo-conga' advert frankly insulting. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I thought East Coast used them everywhere on the ECML?

They certainly exist at Darlington, and work well.

FGW have them at most of their major stations. Paddington, Reading, Swindon, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Cardiff Central and Newport all have them - I imagine most other FGW stations have them too. (I can't remember if Totnes had them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.