• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The best London Underground photograph ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

londontransit

E.O.Hoppé's famous British Museum tube station photograph is certainly a famous composition and possibly the best ever taken on London's tube system.

But no-one's ever penned any details about the work - thus I've done an in-depth write-up on it and tried to explain many things - including why Hoppé chose a disused tube station & how the photo compares with another work taken the same year.

Link: The best London tube photo ever?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KenA

Holloway Rd Station was unique in it had a spiral escalator . It is unclear whether it even went into public service so it appears it was not a success. I guess it weas in the early day when they need something with more capacity than lifts and of course back then lifts needed attendents
Holloway road was choen I guess as its a pretty shallow station, If it had worked it would hve been a quick and easy way to increase capavity as a spiral escaltor could go in a standard lift shaft. Putting in standard escaltors being a major construction task

I think the LT Museum has a few bits of theescaltor snd some engineering drawings

londontransit

Holloway Rd Station was unique in it had a spiral escalator . It is unclear whether it even went into public service so it appears it was not a success. I guess it weas in the early day when they need something with more capacity than lifts and of course back then lifts needed attendents
Holloway road was choen I guess as its a pretty shallow station, If it had worked it would hve been a quick and easy way to increase capavity as a spiral escaltor could go in a standard lift shaft. Putting in standard escaltors being a major construction task

I think the LT Museum has a few bits of theescaltor snd some engineering drawings
Yes the LT museum has some bits of the escalator and there are a few pictures of the installation plus what remains of it.

Seeing no one built a successful commercial spiral escalator until the late 1980s clearly demonstrates the odds the Underground/Reno faced when the Holloway Road prototype was built.

Couple of drawings not seen anywhere else.... Internet Archive

Here's a photo of the Holloway Road spiral escalator in the LT Museum Depot at Acton:

Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.