• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The breeze and I

Blow or no-blow

• Full air conditioning

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Natural ventilation

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

What's your opinion on ventilation in rolling stock? Should new trains have aircon? Or should they be provided with opening windows as is tradition? Aircon to my mind is a bloody waste of money. It's noisy and half the time it does not work. The other half it's working when its not supposed to. It also harbours dust and dirt which carry disease. You look inside any domestic fan heater and see the amount of muck in there and you'll see what I mean.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eezypeazy

Properly maintained aircon and heating has to be the way ahead... how many times have you been on a local train in summer with the heating full on and the windows tight shut? Or the depths of winter with no heating?

eezypeazy

Lewisham2221

Established Member
One thing that doesn't seem to be included is forced air ventilation (the not quite air-con type system usually used on coaches) where natural outside air is forced in, any nasties such as wasps and the like are kept out, and each seat has a little nozzle that can be adjusted accordingly to keep it's occupant suitably cooled.

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm in favour of air con as long as there's the option of opening a window in case of failure (as seen on 166s etc).

ChrisM

Seth said:
I'm in favour of air con as long as there's the option of opening a window in case of failure (as seen on 166s etc).
Agree with that, it's also easier to throw rubbish out the window if they can be opened. :laughing:

Tomnick

Established Member
Aircon's probably the way forward, as long as it's reliable! Opening windows are important for when it doesn't work though - as long as they can only be opened by the guard and are normally kept shut...gives the aircon chance to start working before everyone opens the windows and leaves it with no chance.
Also stops people throwing rubbish out of the window to make the lineside look unsightly!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
As long as the AirCon works, and it's reliable, and it doesnt make me feel sick like some of the systems do, then it's far better than hoppers or toplights. But it's always best to dot the odd hopper or toplight along the coach incase of AirCon failure, like the 158's and 171's.

Tomnick

Established Member
Windows on most modern units are pretty useless anyway - it's all very well and good opening a hopper window on a 14x/15x unit, but you're getting no benefit at all - whereas the chappy three seats back is having his hair blown all over.

Assuming he's not bald, that is.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Desiro air coditioning is rather good. I remember my first trip on a 350 was from Rugby to Coventry. It was very refreshing after a hot day photting. Although it was also refreshing to stick my head out of the window of CrossCountry Class 90 as well

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Don't forget the Voyagers.. I had to put up with 220025 with duff aircon in Coach D (my coach) for 2 hours from Reading to Birmingham New Street on the way to Chester!!

Give me an opening window anyday!

(No I could not move to another carriage.. they were packed full of pax getting away from my coach!)

Tomnick

Established Member
That's the thing though - the TM can't open a window even if he wanted to?

Spent a bit of time on a 144 unit in this hot weather, and it quickly became unbearable on a slow, all-stations service, even with the windows all open - it was a relief to pass through a tunnel! In fact, the breeze was so refreshing, several passengers immediately leant up to slam the windows shut!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Tomnick said:
That's the thing though - the TM can't open a window even if he wanted to?

Aye that's why I'd take a Mk2 or 3 over a Voyager, Pendo or IC225!

Tomnick

Established Member
Yeah, don't blame you! In terms of feeling refreshed and not too hot though, I'd go for a train with working aircon any day! It's the 'working' bit that's the issue too often though.

Coxster

Established Member
Jim said:
450 aircon is the way forword :lol:
Seconded - Desiro aircon is lovely on days like these. I've rarely been on a 444/450 with broken air-con. Not really travelled on 185s, 350s or 360s enough times to judge them ;)

asopu10

Air con definetly, the downside though is when it does'nt work, which is a lot of the time on any trains with the words central and trains on the side. The heating always seems fine on them, but when its hot its getting normal to hear "We appolergise but this train has no air condition ing due to a fault, it was decided to run the train against a cancerlation. Joy, central seem to be preety bad at maintaining thier trains, there very produ to be getting thier highest reliability in six years. Thats right over 8 out of ten trains are on time, well I'm really impressed, there trains are dirty and unreliable and they justr increased my fare, oh, bit off topic, sorry :/

Nick W

Established Member
The other day, I found the aircon very nice on a 158, probably to compensate for the lack of "no smoking signs".

Even FGW's Mark 3 stock has air-con probs though.

Andrew

Yes, FGW have said that it struggles above 30ºC - meaning it's been failing a lot the last few days.

I still think full air con is the way forward. Desiro air con is particularly nice, though somthing subtler would be nice for when the weather is not as hot as it is at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.