• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Cavan & Leitrim Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Extension

I have started work on a study of the Cavan and Leitrim Railway and hopefully the first post on the two main lines will be ready soon. While I was reading various sources on-line and Patrick Flanagan's book about the line, I became aware of a series of attempts to extend the tramway which ran from Ballinamore to Arigna through to Sligo. None of these attempts was successful.

In the end an extension line was built to aid transport of coal from the Arigna mines down to the tramway station. This extension was under 5 miles in length and was soon truncated to a much shorter version. It was known as the Arigna Valley Railway.

The story is worth reading. For much of it I am indebted to Patrick Flanagan and his contributions are referenced throughout.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/04/26/the-cavan-leitrim-railway-arigna-valley-railway

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altfish

Thank you for this Roger, fascinating.
As a teenager (in late 60s early 70s) I was taken to the Drumshambo, Ballinamore area fishing and we regularly fished Garadice Lough; I had no idea about the railway. Oh to go back to see what remnants could be seen then; I suspect most have long gone now.

Calthrop

Established Member
Highly interesting in various ways, the "to-ing and fro-ing" concerning far-extended lines tapping the Arigna coal area -- all looks to have been something of a "late to one's own funeral" situation: project undertaken in a big way, just when the writing was clearly on the wall -- boom-time never happened for it, and it ended up short-lived.

A thing which I have seen discussed elsewhere, re the C & L and its coal traffic -- how "from start to finish", coal was always transferred from n/g to b/g wagons at Dromod and Belturbet, using the most primitive method possible -- gangs of men with shovels. There's mention in the linked-to material here, of railways' managements contemplating at times, mechanising the transfer process, at least at Dromod -- but such a thing was never put into effect. I being fond of the whole narrow gauge / wider gauge "transporter" thing; have mused on how transporter-type doings being brought in on the C & L, must at least have occasionally crossed managerial minds -- though of course it never happened.

A favourite Utopian rail fantasy of mine, involves the C & L's ending up as Ireland's last-and-greatest 3ft. gauge system to survive in a meaningful form -- with it in fact still resplendently in use, and doing a vital job, in spring / early summer 2019. It hangs on the Arigna coal mines (if I'm right, in boring real life no longer functioning at all) being a rather "bigger and better" coal source than they in fact were; and its having continued to be highly necessary to get the coal out and send it to various other places in Ireland. Some sixty years ago, it's decided to smooth out the precious mineral's transit, by introducing on the C & L, 3ft. gauge transporters of whatever kind ("proper" wagons with rails mounted, a la Leek & Manifold; or small trucks with s/g wagons fitted between, as at various places on the European continent; however it might be) with which to run broad-gauge wagons between the mines, and the "off-the-narrow-on-to-the-broad" (and vice versa) facilities installed at Dromod.

Assorted other changes on the system, around this time. The County Donegal Joint system closes down at the end of 1959: CIE buys from it various useful gear, including a few of the steam locos to help out the C & L's weary and worn varied loco fleet. With the broad gauge at Belturbet abandoned; C & L's Ballinamore -- Belturbet section correspondingly abandoned circa 1960. A curve installed west of Ballinamore, to allow coal trains direct running between Dromod and the mines. Abandonment of the West Clare section early in 1961, allows transfer to the C & L of WC's diesel railcars and diesel locos (plus any useful rolling stock). This enables, fairly speedily, dieselisation of ordinary everyday C & L services -- passenger service Ballinamore -- Arigna withdrawn early 1960s -- ex-WC railcars (helped out by ex-Donegal ditto?) maintain the continued Dromod -- Ballinamore pass. service. The diesel locos handle the coal traffic, plus whatever general freight might for a while, continue.

Above situation seen continuing for forty years or so. Come the turn of the 20th / 21st centuries: with coal traffic still flourishing and seen likely to continue so for decades to come; and passenger Dromod -- Balinamore still prospering -- new diesel locos for the former, and new railmotors for the latter, ordered "from whoever / wherever".

Meanwhile and from early on, the C & L and Ballinamore and its works, become the centre of 3ft. gauge preservation for all Ireland -- CIE and later Iarnrod Eireann looking benignly on, and aiding, this to the max. A goodly number of steam locos already on the C & L -- ex-original C & L / Cork, Blackrock & Passage / Tralee & Dingle / Donegal -- are kept to preserve. Any other surviving 3ft. gauge locos / railmotors / stock, whatever ownership, are welcome to spend time on and be availed of facilities of, the C & L. From the early-ish 1960s till today, regular seasonal tourist-and-gricer steam passenger trains are run Dromod -- Ballinamore -- Arigna; any additional steam specials are welcomed and facilitated. (Steam passenger stock kept, from the first, in plenty, for such use; and as above, all assistance given re preserving of anyone's same.) Exchange stuff done, for fun and interest, with the Isle of Man's steam railway. Some at least of the ex-West Clare railcars and diesel locos, after withdrawal from everyday service, are preserved for special-occasion use; likewise ex-Donegal railcars.

A delight for railway enthusiasts; plus, a big "tourist draw" generally, brought in for an in the main rather overlooked part of Ireland -- everybody wins ! If only...

Love it Calthrop. Sadly, I think it might have been the building of the Arigna Power Station which finally saw off the Cavan and Leitrim as Arigna coal no longer needed to be transported any significant distance?

Calthrop

Established Member
The Power Station scenario, is the picture which got. One gathers -- with "Ireland and coal" not being like "love and marriage" -- the coal mined at Arigna (truly the island's biggest and best source of the stuff) was of pretty abysmal quality: best fitted for feeding straight into power-station furnaces.

This is first of the main series of posts about the Cavan & Leitrim Railway. I have enjoyed reading Patrick Flanagan's little book published by Pan. It is rather dog-eared and falling apart now. The text of the book has helped me explore the line, even though I have done so from my armchair. References to the text of his book abound, and these are all credited in the blog.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/05/0...-a-short-history-and-a-look-at-dromod-station

In this post we review the history of the line and then, with the aid of a good few pictures, we look round Dromod Station as it was.

Calthrop

Established Member
As ever, full of interest -- thank you. I note from the 1951 Railway Magazine article on the line; forebodings then, concerning the Ballinamore -- Belturbet section: seen as carrying little traffic, with the Border just to its north as a contributing factor to that -- and with the Great Northern Railway of Ireland in financial trouble, the future of its line to Belturbet seen as uncertain, with repercussions if that were to close. Perhaps remarkably, the C & L staggered on in its entirety -- Ballinamore to Belturbet included -- for nearly another eight years; with after the dismemberment in autumn 1957, of the Great Northern's western secondary-line network: CIE taking over the parts of that in the Republic, including the Belturbet branch (albeit all for freight only) until 1959.

I have Flanagan's book on the C & L: interest-and-info-packed. With in threads here about the Irish narrow gauge in general, sundry references to poems and songs on the theme -- I can't refrain from mentioning the verse offering about the C & L, quoted by Flanagan. Sorry -- but that thing is pretty much the most direly stilted / clunky / banal bit of poetry or song, that I have ever seen; one takes it, by a local Percy-French-wannabe, but totally lacking in Percy's gift for the whole business. I would reckon it accurate rather than cruel, to observe that Ireland is a nation of would-be poets and balladeers -- many of them unfortunately with a lot more keenness about their craft, than talent for it.

Altfish

This is first of the main series of posts about the Cavan & Leitrim Railway. I have enjoyed reading Patrick Flanagan's little book published by Pan. It is rather dog-eared and falling apart now. The text of the book has helped me explore the line, even though I have done so from my armchair. References to the text of his book abound, and these are all credited in the blog.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/05/0...-a-short-history-and-a-look-at-dromod-station

In this post we review the history of the line and then, with the aid of a good few pictures, we look round Dromod Station as it was.

Roger, I also have that book, also a couple of pictorial ones..
Cavan and Leitrim Railway - The Last Decade
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cavan-Leit...van+and+leitrim&qid=1557485282&s=books&sr=1-1
Smoke Amidst the Drumlins
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoke-Amidst-Drumlins-Railway-Photographers/dp/1904242626/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=drumlins+railway&qid=1557485420&s=books&sr=1-1-spell

Calthrop

Established Member
Roger -- as ever, your section-by-section pieces re the C & L are of great interest. In its lifetime, a most beguiling railway; in a beguiling but little-visited part of Ireland.

The reminiscences by the chap Bill Gerty -- his spell on the line as a "lad porter" in (one figures out) the late 1940s -- are fascinating.

Calthrop

Established Member
@rogerfarnworth -- thanks -- fascinating as ever. The "roll-call" of the line's locos, was of much interest -- including the picture of no.9 King Edward (rather a "white elephant") -- the Irish 3ft gauge managed to have tank locos of pretty well every possible four- and six-coupled wheel arrangement; I believe the "King" was its only 0-6-4T.

I mentioned in an earlier post, the long and IMO unfortunately totally dreadful verse offering by a local inhabitant, about the C & L in its earlier years, quoted in P.J. Flanagan's book on the line. One verse touches on no.9 --

"King Ned's an engine, and was made at Bingen,
Fair lovely Bingen on the Rhine."

Eh? one sees it as generally recognised as a "given", that Robert Stephenson & Co.'s works were at Darlington, County Durham, England... the versifier must have been truly desperate for a rhyme. Admittedly "engine" isn't the easiest word to find a rhyme for. The old and very lengthy Welsh song "Crawshay Bailey" -- attributing to the nineteenth-century South Wales industrialist of that name, and his supposed large and intricate family, many odd doings -- begins

"Crawshay Bailey had an engine,
And it always needed mending..."

which is quite a "stretch" rhyming-wise, but at least avoids geographical nonsenses !

I love you reflections Calthrop. I am glad these posts are of interest. I need to complete the West Clare next.

Status
Not open for further replies.