• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Cobblers set Mk1's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else remember the old cobblers set mk1's? My recollection of them is Saturday afternoons sat in a compartment heading down to London from Northampton . I can't remember what would've been pulling us, probably an 86, although I'd like to think it was an 85.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
I suppose the equivalent of this rake now is the Class 321s which are kicked out for morning/peak hour workings!

I can recall that Hertfordshire Rail Tours often used one of the rakes at weekends for crank tours - good use of resources which were otherwise sat in sidings doing nothing at the weekend.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I suppose the equivalent of this rake now is the Class 321s which are kicked out for morning/peak hour workings!

I can recall that Hertfordshire Rail Tours often used one of the rakes at weekends for crank tours - good use of resources which were otherwise sat in sidings doing nothing at the weekend.

The Summer only , SO Euston to Aberystwyth and return was a Cobbler set as far back as the mid 1970's , much as when they were transferred to OOC on arrival of class 321 units , they were used for Summer SO workings to places like Paignton .....

Any idea of how many of the cobblers coaches (4 lots of 12, iirc) managed to make it to preservation?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Excuse the double post, but I also remember a Northampton yard open day (yes, really) where 86401 was named, and I was told by a NSE driver that the 321's most definitely wouldn't be replacing the cobblers set duties. Guess he wasn't quite on the mark!

dk1

Veteran Member
Wasn't it a NSE Cobbler rake that was used on the 05.?? Birmingham NS to Yarmouth & 10.45 return on Summer Saturdays during the late 80s?

Probably, although I'm sure somebody will know for certain. There were 4 rakes of them (although I only remember 3x12), so weekend work would have been accommodated with ease.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Probably, although I'm sure somebody will know for certain. There were 4 rakes of them (although I only remember 3x12), so weekend work would have been accommodated with ease.

In their last days the coaches from the Northampton and West Anglia services found their way onto the Thames Line to replace corridor stock and unrefurbished early mark 2s. I remember that the Northampton line stock had the L&SE striped moquette and you still see these on preserved railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.