• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The continental approach to Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
In Switzerland they use a simple box to hide the mechanism, it's often made of wood. It looks tidy and is inexpensive.
That sounds a sensible idea, but I expect there would be a few issues with it the Britain:
  • Potentially easier to damage/vandalise
  • Could require more maintenance and more frequent replacement due to rot
  • Could only be made out of certified safety critical wood
  • Too cheap and simple to design, manufacture ((wo)man with panel saw and plywood sheet) and install so no benefit to vested interests
  • Workers would likely need to go on a course in order to safely use wood screws
Ok, maybe the last few wouldn't happen, but I personally can't see it happening. Unless of course as part of an "innovation" trial costing millions...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I remember when in Prague and heading through to their main railway station to catch a bus; two of us (with railway experience) were rather shocked and taking some ramshackle side entrance (which had been signposted!) which then involved walking over a couple of tracks with a poor sign where the 'crossing' was. Whilst walking up towards the main part of the station, we saw staff and train crew crossing over tracks as fairly standard.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I remember when in Prague and heading through to their main railway station to catch a bus; two of us (with railway experience) were rather shocked and taking some ramshackle side entrance (which had been signposted!) which then involved walking over a couple of tracks with a poor sign where the 'crossing' was. Whilst walking up towards the main part of the station, we saw staff and train crew crossing over tracks as fairly standard.

I have a feeling they've changed it round now, but when I went there in about 2003 Praha hl.n. was a bit like a group of rural stations - you'd come up the stairs for your platform number (island number, basically) but then that would serve about 4 tracks, some of which you had to walk across another track on the level to reach, a bit like the Hausbahnsteig/Nebenbahnsteig thing of rural stations but it was surprising to see it at a capital city main station.

Gostav

I have a feeling they've changed it round now, but when I went there in about 2003 Praha hl.n. was a bit like a group of rural stations - you'd come up the stairs for your platform number (island number, basically) but then that would serve about 4 tracks, some of which you had to walk across another track on the level to reach, a bit like the Hausbahnsteig/Nebenbahnsteig thing of rural stations but it was surprising to see it at a capital city main station.
Yes, most main stations were changed over the years but in the eastern part of Czechia, there are still "very Eastern"

nicholaswood

I was living in Prague until last year, and people were still walking along this side path and over the tracks to get to the platforms at hl.n.

Veteran Member
I was living in Prague until last year, and people were still walking along this side path and over the tracks to get to the platforms at hl.n.
Which, given that there are what we used to call barrow crossings at both ends, is hardly surprising :)

PeterC

Established Member
Aren't directives decided on EU-wide, but legislated nationally(/subnationally) with considerable play anyway? It might just be the case that this is because of a EU directive implemented more strictly on the national level.
You can always trust HMG to gold plate any directive.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Only really noticed things getting lax in South Eastern Europe , particlarly outside the EU.
Getting lax or have always been lax. I remember being in a very shakey train in the Greek narrow gauge system in the 1980s. Doors where open and a good shake could have catapultet one outside.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Oddly enough I remember last year standing at the end of one of the platforms at Prague hl.n. with another forum member commenting on the use of that side path and noting how such a thing would never be tolerated in the UK!

Belperpete

Established Member
Oddly enough I remember last year standing at the end of one of the platforms at Prague hl.n. with another forum member commenting on the use of that side path and noting how such a thing would never be tolerated in the UK!
You should try Prague's Smíchov Severní Nástupiště station. This is situated in the middle of the carriage preparation sidings for the adjacent Smichov station. It was opened about three years ago when S65 services were extended through to the Hl.n. station (previously they wound their way through the goods yard to a platform next to Andel bus station). For the first year or two, there was no designated foot-crossing across the sidings, only one narrow platform between trains (the trains often cross here) and just some troughing lids as a platform. The station is unstaffed, the only sign is on the footbridge leading down into the carriage sidings. The station was improved last year, the pictures below show the improved state:

20180615_200327.jpgs

20180615_200454.jpg

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Severní Nástupiště is still a good laugh, even in its mildly improved state. It was slightly surreal on a Sunday morning rocking up there and waiting for a gap in the RegioJet shunt moves to hop aboard the little 810.

One memory that's just occurred to me from Slovakia is arriving at Leopoldov for a connection from the next platform across. There were actually steps provided down onto the tracks in the middle of the platform, as everyone all crossed over in front of the train we'd just left, that was now ready to depart. That said, it saved us plenty time :lol: I wonder if it's meant to encourage you to go that way, or rather "if you're going to take a shortcut, at least avoid vaulting onto the track"

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One memory that's just occurred to me from Slovakia is arriving at Leopoldov for a connection from the next platform across. There were actually steps provided down onto the tracks in the middle of the platform, as everyone all crossed over in front of the train we'd just left, that was now ready to depart.

To be fair that's normal practice at Tywyn...it feels really, really odd to do it!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You should try Prague's Smíchov Severní Nástupiště station.

You know something - I have done. :)

It took me ages to find it as it was very poorly signposted and I didn't quite believe that what I found was it till I viewed an actual train call at it!

Belperpete

Established Member
You know something - I have done. :)

It took me ages to find it as it was very poorly signposted and I didn't quite believe that what I found was it till I viewed an actual train call at it!
Agreed, I spent ages wandering around Smichov station trying to find where the S65 trains left from. It was only when I gave up, and started walking back into town, that I spotted the footbridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.