• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Cornish Riviera Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverqueen

I'm under the impression that the Cornish Riviera Express train is still running Paddington to Penzance daily operated by GWR. However nobody at GWR can give me any information on whether that is the case and if it is, when it runs and how far in advance I can book. Their social media team knew nothing about it so maybe it has
stopped running. Can anyone shed any light please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm under the impression that the Cornish Riviera Express train is still running Paddington to Penzance daily operated by GWR. However nobody at GWR can give me any information on whether that is the case and if it is, when it runs and how far in advance I can book. Their social media team knew nothing about it so maybe it has

The named trains appear to have disappeared from the printed timetables. Previously the 1004 from Paddington was the "Cornish Riviera" but in reality there is nothing special about this service relative to the other trains on the route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_Riviera_Express

Riverqueen

The named trains appear to have disappeared from the printed timetables. Previously the 1004 from Paddington was the "Cornish Riviera" but in reality there is nothing special about this service relative to the other trains on the route.

Many thanks JonathanH

Master29

Established Member

The named trains still however appear on the Network Rail timetable. It is still the 10:04 from Paddington on this and now the 09:15 from Penzance.

Requeststop

The 10:04 still runs. However unlike before when the service ran Paddington - Reading - Exeter - Newton Abbot - Plymouth then stops in Cornwall - there are extra stops between Paddington and Plymouth. The special feeling of the faster service to Cornwall has now gone. Pullman experiences are now for those travelling to/from Plymouth.

Now that the services to and from Cornwall are now split and/or joined at Plymouth, to get the Pullman service, you must sit in the Plymouth section of the train. Those of us poor unfortunates who travel to or from Cornwall have to move carriages to have the dining experience these days. Get out your seat, haul your luggage to the other half of the train. The longer the journey - the more money you pay the more inconvenienced you are. Makes sense to those based in London I suppose.

broadgage

Do GWR still have chef prepared meals on board?

The travelling chef service was withdrawn several improvements ago.
The Pullman dining service is still provided on a limited number of services, a bit expensive but of excellent quality IMHO.
The Pullman is only available in one portion of the train, usually that portion that runs between Plymouth and London. Since the new units are not gangwayed there is no facility to walk through the train that portion that has the restaurant.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

it is just a normal train. It is nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.