• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The cost of a railway carriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

umontu

I am speaking as a completely ignorant person (In terms of money on the railways)
Does anyone know roughly how much would a Mk1 carriage cost?
In any condition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
dont forget the cost of moving it...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also. those mark2 virgins look in better interior condition than some trains ive been on.......

One day Ill buy some sort of Mk3 coach, maybe a sleeper, and use it as a home studio (now that would be cool

Ivo

Established Member
One day Ill buy some sort of Mk3 coach, maybe a sleeper, and use it as a home studio (now that would be cool

On that point, is there anything stopping someone from actually setting up a home in a train carriage? A Mk3 FC buffet car, for instance, would have kitchen facilities, plenty of power sockets, at least one toilet, plenty of seating and tables... Just remove some of the seats and tables for a bed and install a shower facility! :p

umontu

On that point, is there anything stopping someone from actually setting up a home in a train carriage? A Mk3 FC buffet car, for instance, would have kitchen facilities, plenty of power sockets, at least one toilet, plenty of seating and tables... Just remove some of the seats and tables for a bed and install a shower facility! :p

Someone has done this. Can't find it now but it is online.

dont forget the cost of moving it...
Well of course. Just wanted to get a ball park figure.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I am speaking as a completely ignorant person (In terms of money on the railways)
Does anyone know roughly how much would a Mk1 carriage cost?
In any condition.

Mk 1s are now in great demand, and are also prone go serious structural corrosion.

You can easily spend 100k properly restoring one.

Harlesden

One of the links in this thread rather made me wonder how so much money was devoted by the British government to creating rail networks in developing countries while totally neglecting the British network of the time.

Yew

Established Member
Just a though? But could the fit sacrificial anodes to protect against corrosion?

ACE1888

'When I was a lad'..I always thought of buying a plot and 'grounding' a Mk1 and living in it, would still do it now if I had the cash...Doesn't hurt to dream eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.