• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The costs of ending a parliamentary service/closing a station

Status
Not open for further replies.

flitwickbeds

Inspired by the thread about what Dire Consequences Might Follow in the event of a TOC not running a parliamentary service (say, Stockport<>Stalybridge), I pose a question.

What actions would need to be taken, and how much would that cost, to remove passenger service from a line like this?

In my head I remember discussions about having to publicise closures in local and national newspapers, and conclude a consultation. How much, really, does this cost and how much effort, really, is it in relation to keeping the line running?

Take for example the Staffordshire line closure of Norton Bridge/Barlaston/Wedgwood. It's been bustituted for 17 years now. Are we really saying that a consultation and closure process in 2004 would have been more expensive than paying for buses for 17 years? How many more years does it take to "break even"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
You could do a FOI request on Rochester station which was completely closed ( although resited nearby). That was publicised with official posters all over the Southeastern network.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Inspired by the thread about what Dire Consequences Might Follow in the event of a TOC not running a parliamentary service (say, Stockport<>Stalybridge), I pose a question.

What actions would need to be taken, and how much would that cost, to remove passenger service from a line like this?

In my head I remember discussions about having to publicise closures in local and national newspapers, and conclude a consultation. How much, really, does this cost and how much effort, really, is it in relation to keeping the line running?

Take for example the Staffordshire line closure of Norton Bridge/Barlaston/Wedgwood. It's been bustituted for 17 years now. Are we really saying that a consultation and closure process in 2004 would have been more expensive than paying for buses for 17 years? How many more years does it take to "break even"?

Although Norton Bridge did actually close, the other two remain as "tickets accepted on the local bus service".

mike57

Established Member
To repeat my answer in the 'Dire Consequences...' thread, I think the cost is probably as much political as monetetary, as the word 'closure' sends shivers down the spine of even occasional railway users. Politicians know its a vote looser, therefore lift carpet and sweep rapidly, end result Parlimentary services

Status
Not open for further replies.