• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Has anyone else been watching this Netflix series? I'm up to Episode 7, so no spoilers please!

I was eight years old when the original film was released in 1982, and it was something that became a very beloved part of my childhood. I wasn't massively into books, films and TV, but this caught my imagination like nothing else, and I was a huge fan.

To discover it's returned to the screen 37 years later, in such a spectacular way, has been an absolute joy. It's so expansive, complex and rich - it does, in some ways, kick the crap out of the film, which now looks quite dated and cheesy in places. I'm absolutely loving it, and I'm sure I'll finish watching the last three episodes this weekend.

It's interesting to see the positive reception it's got. When the film came out, no-one seemed to know what to make of it, and it didn't do very well, but I guess we live in a very different world now. Fantasy is very popular, and there's a much bigger market for screen entertainment, especially stuff that would have been regarded as quite niche in the past.

I suppose everyone expected a Jim Henson movie to be all Kermit/Miss Piggy/Grover/Big Bird, and not genocidal maniacs!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Have to admit I wasn't that aware of The Dark Crystal when it was originally released but I've caught up with it in my adult years and enjoyed it. I was fortunate enough to get along to the (free) AoR exhibition at BFI Southbank last week and it was very good indeed. The artistry of the Henson Creature Shop was extremely evident.

IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0013.jpg

Still yet to watch the show but I'll get to it in a few days!

Journeyman

Established Member
I caught that exhibition myself when I was in London last week, and it was really impressive. It would have been easy to just CGI it all, so I'm pleasantly surprised that they chose to do it all with puppetry again.

Status
Not open for further replies.