• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Ebor Flyer and aftermath of Tornado's failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtis

hi i have looked on real train times
For the times but they are not showing
Has anybody know the times mainly when going through Doncaster
Neil

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
I imagine it might be being kept quite to prevent any lineside shenanigans, (train planning are also running very late in general) but if it isn't in the standard 0818 KX path by Doncaster (1055), I imagine it'll be close to it.

marcouk2

Reportedly hit something on the track and sustained damage, rescue loco on the way.

38Cto15E

Opentraintimes showing 1Z99 in front, presumably Thunderbird, also 1D08, whether that is assisting?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was this tour scheduled to run at 90 mph does anyone know?
Any word on what it hit or whether something on the loco became detached?
Hopefully not too much damage done.

Suraggu

Reportedly hit something on the track and sustained damage, rescue loco on the way.
The A1 Trust have said that due to damaged inside motion but not thought to speed related.
I have read wibble about a drone being used and hitting the train but that is pure wibble.

Andrewh32

Tornado is now at the Nene valley railway to allow proper inspection, hauled by 66744 to Orton mere & then one of NVRs Class 14s from Orton mere to Wansford

Spartacus

Established Member
What do they mean by inside motion
As stated on they web site
Neil

What happens to the footplate crew when something goes bang at 90mph, and you hope it doesn't become an outside motion because then you'd need new overalls!

Seriously though it's all the mechanical gubbins that's involved with connecting the inside cylinder to the driving wheels, similar to what you get on the outside.

Just been doing a bit of research and according to https://www.a1steam.com/valvegear-and-motion/ the part which has reportedly failed was delivered with small manufacturing misalignment which had to be corrected. This might not be the actual point of failure, but it makes you wonder, especially as they seem pretty convinced that it wasn't a speed issue.

malc-c

Watched a few videos last night and one showed a guy in full high-vis standing between the rails which what looked like the bottom end of a bearing case ( U shaped with bolts either side), that must have caused a hell of a bang when it dropped. So if they feel the failure is not speed related, then other than component failure one other possibility that has been rumoured could be sabotage, which I doubt, and strongly hope isn't the case, but with reports saying it hit something I guess can't be ruled out.

Andrewh32

Given the crew didn't know the reason behind the failure when I had a quick word, anything that has been said is pure speculation

malc-c

I agree, as is the rumour that it was a low flying drone that was hit.... I doubt that as I'm sure the drone would have come off far worse than the loco !!

I presume that either following the 100mph time trial, or preceding this run, the loco would have been inspected to make sure everything is as it should be (loose bolts etc). Lets hope they don't keep us in suspense too long and reveal their initial findings soon.

Andrewh32

Just seen a tweet from Ian Prosser to say that the ORR will be looking into the failure of Tornado so we will know everything in time (sorry can't make the tweet paste into here)

malc-c

Just seen a tweet from Ian Prosser to say that the ORR will be looking into the failure of Tornado so we will know everything in time (sorry can't make the tweet paste into here)

Considering that there were no injuries to anyone, and (as far as I know) no damage to the infrastructure or track, why would they get involved, unless there's more to yesterdays events than we currently know. There are so many speculative reports flying around, from component failure to a dog being hit and causing the damage, it would be nice if the trust, tour operator or some official simply confirmed one thing or another, and rule out these stupid speculations. If it was a case where nothing was hit, and it's pointing towards a component failure then put up an announcement, we can then wait to hear the more detailed report later.

Andrewh32

The tweet says which might give a clue or two
"We will be looking closely at the Tornado failure on it's first partial 90mph run with Mk2 stock. Caused significant delays to services south of Peterborough"

Darandio

Established Member
Considering that there were no injuries to anyone, and (as far as I know) no damage to the infrastructure or track, why would they get involved, unless there's more to yesterdays events than we currently know.

I think you might be confusing the ORR (Office of Rail and Road) with the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) where the latter might have got involved should there have been injuries or damage.

The ORR will be interested because if there is an issue with higher speed running that could happen in the future at large cost to the railway, then they would be looking to revoke the certificate.

malc-c

Right, I hear you. I'm terrible at puzzles, so I'm guessing the clue Andrew is eluding to is the use of MKII's ?? And reading between the lines in Darandio's post, given how crowded the ECML is becoming could this be the nail in the coffin for mainline steam specials ? Would the revoking of the main line certificate be permanent ?? - there would be an outcry from the fans if it were !

Darandio

Established Member
Right, I hear you. I'm terrible at puzzles, so I'm guessing the clue Andrew is eluding to is the use of MKII's ??

I think the clue was the specific use of the word 'Failure'.

And reading between the lines in Darandio's post, given how crowded the ECML is becoming could this be the nail in the coffin for mainline steam specials ? Would the revoking of the main line certificate be permanent ?? - there would be an outcry from the fans if it were !

No, not a revoking of the main line certificate but the one that gives dispensation to run at higher speed.

malc-c

I told you I was crap at puzzles :)
Ahh, so it would be limited to 75mph like most other steamers. Thanks for the explanation

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, all assumption at this stage though. I cannot see any other immediate reason.

Andrewh32

Was also thinking about the word first, so was proper testing, training, risk assessment done. So how they decided Tornado was upto 90mph with that stock.

Remember in the past ORR have made WCRC change alot of process & proceed, so looking at the same sort of things.

I would agree that I would expect 75mph running in the future as the outcome.

Spartacus

Established Member
We'll see anyway. From what I've said before the part may not have been 100% to start off with, and in the 11 years since it was corrected it might have been forgotten about, but then again the failure may be completely unrelated to this, and after all in the days before modern toolings and production methods were widespread a bit of fettling to make things fit was expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.